April 29, 2024, 02:00:37 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: A mapping contest  (Read 28179 times)

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A mapping contest
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 08:48:43 pm »
To switch between roof and floor editing, use 3rd button of your mouse.

Walls are kinda out of place because they are for ship interior. I don't think you'll find a suitable roof for them. Anyway, I like your style and for the first "map" it's pretty okay. Tiles and junk on the outside are very good.
You need to practice and correct mistakes. Don't mix various buildings/floor/roof types. If you are not sure what is correct, check other fonline maps (from SDK or 2238 source).

I strongly recommend drawing some sketch before making a map. It's necessary to know what do you want to make before you start. To be honest, actual mapping is a small piece of work when you get used to mapper tool. Well, unless you make some huge 400x400 map almost from scratch and when you are about to place 25.000-30.000 tiles, because that takes at least few days.

Urukhai

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:32 pm »
you maybe press middle scroll button don't you ? This one is sipposed to switch from floor tiles to roof tiles.

Xaviien

• Supporter & Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:57 am »
Clicking the scroll wheel is mouse button 3.

Jugulator

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 02:04:58 pm »
To switch between roof and floor editing, use 3rd button of your mouse.
you maybe press middle scroll button don't you ? This one is sipposed to switch from floor tiles to roof tiles.
Clicking the scroll wheel is mouse button 3.
Yeah, indeed, I think I've done this, thank you for all these details :p

I'll try to be careful with the global arrangement, and yeah, loading existing maps helps a lot. I'll try do draw sketches, but if anyone got ideas or make sketches, that may help mappers a lot.

Jugulator

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 03:23:02 pm »
I'm making a new one. The idea is : a big abandonned clandestine factory where some poor people (maybe illegal immigrants ?) used to work and live in (you know, just like in China). There would be two maps : The factory/worker part, and the head quarter where few rich people controled the assembly line (robots where here for protection !).

Few pics (WIP), I just made details in the dormitory/canteen part

Before I continue, I would like to know if it's a good idea ? Do you have suggestions ?

Edit : WIP ! The working chain.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:42:23 pm by Jugulator »

Cerberix

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 07:11:18 pm »
@Jugulator, your maps looks quiet good but there are few "stylish" problem. First of all, you are going to build old, rusty, abandonned factory, so you should use things which will perfect fit to that kind of place. IMO you should change these clear double beds for old rusty beds or other "rubbish stuff" - to improve the atmosphere and consistency of map's style. These clear beds are used rather in high lvl vaults/bases. The same problem is floor which you use. Well, I hope you will improve your map. That's all from me.  ;)

Jugulator

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 07:30:44 pm »
Yeah you were right about the beds. Is this better ?

Which floor are you talking about ?

Grey

• WTB gummy bears, big amounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 12:10:52 pm »
Map name: Industrial Disease
Type: Scavenge/quest/open-space pvp
Trivia: So basically, the industrial zone of San Francisco. Has been controlled by the Elronoligist and/or Huboligist church but some of their robots turned hostile against them and most of them left the area empty.
There are some old warehouses and destroyed labs, aswell as the Hubologist Main Research Center. Three buildings connected. Two with three floors and one with only two.
(there is no way you can just go up the floors and use the walkway to travel from a building to another, atleast not in the same map, it would be possible using two more maps.)
You can gather some electronic parts and junk. Also, it is possible to chop wood and obtain fibers.
There's also an advanced workbench in one of the central Hubologist Main Research Center buildings.
Oh! and there are some hostile Repair Robots around! :)

SCREENSHOTS (open spoiler to see more!)

Spoiler: show

Kirkor

• Supporter
  • Bang Bang Smash
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 12:55:43 pm »
Map name: Industrial Disease
Type: Scavenge/quest/open-space pvp
Trivia: So basically, the industrial zone of San Francisco. Has been controlled by the Elronoligist and/or Huboligist church but some of their robots turned hostile against them and most of them left the area empty.
There are some old warehouses and destroyed labs, aswell as the Hubologist Main Research Center. Three buildings connected. Two with three floors and one with only two.
(there is no way you can just go up the floors and use the walkway to travel from a building to another, atleast not in the same map, it would be possible using two more maps.)
You can gather some electronic parts and junk. Also, it is possible to chop wood and obtain fibers.
There's also an advanced workbench in one of the central Hubologist Main Research Center buildings.
Oh! and there are some hostile Repair Robots around! :)

SCREENSHOTS (open spoiler to see more!)

Spoiler: show

This really looks good! Especially those walkways above the ground.
I wish there would be more maps with multi level platforms :)

Do you want this shit to be added to hinkley? ;]
This is very good map too. I would add there some nice looking monument in the middle to make a bigger view-blocker. Maybe a monument of Vaultdweller from NCR?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:00:42 pm by Kirkor »

b__B

• JovankaB
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 06:03:10 pm »
If I can give some advice, it's better to make maps with rectangular shape, because
it's hard to scroll screen along the map edges on maps with "diamond" shape.

You can do it by simply not filling the corners with stuff and by placing scroll blockers
in the shape of rectangle.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:06:35 pm by b__B »
Your favorite player

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 06:53:20 pm »
Thank you, JovankaB, we need all the advice on maps that we can get. (It's you JovankaB, right?)

Kirkor

• Supporter
  • Bang Bang Smash
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2014, 04:55:52 pm »
If I can give some advice, it's better to make maps with rectangular shape, because
it's hard to scroll screen along the map edges on maps with "diamond" shape.
This please.
Gecko, Klamath and Broken Hills maps need some fixes, because of such a problem...
Also don't make TOO small maps, so the high-res screens can fit inside your maps.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:57:45 pm by Kirkor »

Cerberix

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 01:39:36 pm »
Old Personal Bunker

• Cost: 50 000 caps
  • Towns: Junktown, Hub

Bunkers was very common places where you could protect yourself and your family against nuclear apocalypse. One of them was a well-known Personal Bunker - for you and your family. Location is equipped with 7 lockers, workbench, still and computer that contains electronic parts. This bunker is the best place for people who love having everything handy. Old Personal Bunker can be purchased in Junktown and Hub.

If you like these maps, I will send you files, maps was created in 2238 mapper. Maps should work properly on 1920x1080 resolution. Of course blockers, ent hexes and everything that are included too.

In addition I'm working on a dungeon location - it will be something what you know but a bit changed. Well, more informations in the future. ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:09:39 am by cerber »

Kelin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »
The bunker is astonishing, no doubt, but could you please tell me the name of the font you used for description?

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »
Old Personal Bunker

Nice map, I like it.
Few mistakes to correct:
- wrong bos-style door, change it to normal one
- wrong bos-style beds.
Also, I don't want another source of electronic parts in base, such things (which give resources) will be not available at bases after some time. They will be more numerous in public locations, including towns.
After you correct it, you can send the file to me and I will work on it in the future, yet I don't know when, there will be also at least two other base types added.

Maybe you want to make some high-tech bunker for a military organization, there is nothing like that in Reloaded and could be very good. TLAmk2 had few of such hi-tech bunker maps.