April 29, 2024, 12:09:08 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Add more vehicles/a vehicle paint shop option  (Read 2121 times)

MorsTactica

• Guy offering free bullets in Hub, TKs- something
    • View Profile
Add more vehicles/a vehicle paint shop option
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:05:02 pm »
A certain other session of FOnline just introduced a mechanic where you can get your car painted, it's purely cosmetic but is really fun. They simply asked the community for skins and they came flowing in. I think it's a great addition to the game, and would love to see something similar here.

Pros:
+Adds in a bit more variety, which is the spice of life
+Simple skin-swap, I am not proposing any stat changes and am in-fact against it.
+More content=more interest=more players staying longer
+If community skins are allowed, Factions could have uniformly painted cars with their emblem and everything
+Seems like a simple addition in concept

Cons:
-May be hard to script, but form what I know of this other session, very seldom do they add things which require a lot of work
-People will bitch about the paint jobs costing money/somehow breaking balance/something because people would bitch about being given $1,000,000 on the internet
-It's work for what is absolutely a fluff feature, and the dev time could be spent making a new dungeon or something else more "important"

Examples:

Implementation:
I would add an NPC (probably in New Reno) who will paint your car for a moderate sum- Let's just say 15-20K. You have to have the key, just like when you sell a car to an NPC. This makes it an interesting sort of PvP event where the Khans drop in and steal newbie's cars and nobody uses the feature. (kidding, sort of) Alternatively put the paint shop in Hub or maybe Boneyard to add more reason to go there

The paint job would be just that, no changes to car stats or anything of the like

These would be permanent changes to the car, though I see no reason why the same car couldn't be painted more than once

An alternative in my mind would be to add additional cars, I have some free to use already blue'd vehicle sprites I dug up on NMA a while back, I'll try to hunt them down. UPDATE: Unfortunately I didn't have backups of the vehicle sprites, and most of them have been taken off their hosts (I did find the thread, but it was from 2009), so unfortunately most of those cool sprites have been lost. This might be for the better because who knows how much trouble it would have been for us to hunt down the original artists to ask permissions.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:34:28 pm by MorsTactica »
I sell rares, PM me for details.
In stock (may have multiple): G11, G11E, Alien Blaster, Scorcher, Little Jesus, Slugger, various clothes including children and dwarf skins.

Slowhand

• Go for the eye, Boo! Go for the eyes!
    • View Profile
Re: Add more vehicles/a vehicle paint shop option
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:42:24 pm »
A certain other session of FOnline just introduced a mechanic where you can get your car painted, it's purely cosmetic but is really fun. They simply asked the community for skins and they came flowing in. I think it's a great addition to the game, and would love to see something similar here.
Cons:
-It's work for what is absolutely a fluff feature, and the dev time could be spent making a new dungeon or something else more "important"

Pros:
It could invite players to start helping with development of the game, even if not scripting, but doing something that could be useful later on, is not to hard, and players find some incentive to try it at least, having the reward of using the product they done in game. However for this to happen, it would be good if these small feature would be added before the next wipe/upgrade/change/whatever else the those who made it, loose interest.
Ofc, it does not have to stop at car skins, could be anything, new armor/skin, weapons, load screens, etc.

MorsTactica

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:59:29 pm »
Cons:

Pros:
It could invite players to start helping with development of the game, even if not scripting, but doing something that could be useful later on, is not to hard, and players find some incentive to try it at least, having the reward of using the product they done in game. However for this to happen, it would be good if these small feature would be added before the next wipe/upgrade/change/whatever else the those who made it, loose interest.
Ofc, it does not have to stop at car skins, could be anything, new armor/skin, weapons, load screens, etc.

True. I just think this is a pretty simple thing, at least to start out with. Adding more weapons/armor would be a bit more involved as for both you have to worry about balance and then with new armors it can be a real chore to even modify existing ones as it's something like 250+ frames without having each weapon group animated
In stock (may have multiple): G11, G11E, Alien Blaster, Scorcher, Little Jesus, Slugger, various clothes including children and dwarf skins.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 04:39:24 am »
New cars would be great, but they can be easily stolen since alts can have 200% lockpick easily.

Unless areas like Hub become no lockpick/steal town then why not.

MorsTactica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:22:14 pm »
New cars would be great, but they can be easily stolen since alts can have 200% lockpick easily.

Maybe add a paint shop to barter grounds, make it a bit more important than it already is

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 03:38:48 pm »
Good idea, it will be added but don't expect me to make new sprites because my paint.exe skills are low.
Players would have to create new sprites.

Inb4 "no free parking places in town!!!!"
ok then let's make a fix that removes cars if they are left for too long, then spam of bug reports/dramatic PMs:
"I had all my stuff I gathered in 6 months in car's trunk and it disappeared after I left it in town!!!!"

MorsTactica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 06:02:39 pm »
Good idea, it will be added but don't expect me to make new sprites because my paint.exe skills are low.
Players would have to create new sprites.

My paint.exe skills are low as well but I'll put in some work and see what I can do, perhaps move this somewhere or start a new topic where people can drop off skins as they make them?

Bison

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:11:24 pm »
+1 custom car paints are needed.