April 16, 2024, 06:37:37 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Lockpick CD change when success.  (Read 4461 times)

Slowhand

• Go for the eye, Boo! Go for the eyes!
    • View Profile
Lockpick CD change when success.
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:25:18 am »
Lockpick CD shall not trigger or be reduced in case of success.

Edit:

It's finished. Link to code/tutorial

The new mechanic:
  • Lock picks will break on critical failure only. (but with this chances of pick breaking is 1/20 higher than before 1/31)
  • If the player tries to pick the lock without lock picks and critical failure occurs, he will hurt his fingers for random small amount damage and will trigger a higher cooldown.
  • If the lock is unpickable by the player (because of lack of skill + tools) and a critical success occurs, the player will receive a warning message, so he does not bother anymore.
  • If the lock pick simply fails, then the default timeout will be triggered, as before
  • If the lock pick is successful, then a cooldown between 25% and 75% of default will be triggered. This cooldown depends on the roll made to pick the lock. The transition between the values is linear, when the minimum cooldown will trigger if the (skill + tool bonus - lock difficulty) is higher or equal to 50, basically the bonus value of the expanded lock pick set. The maximum cooldown (3/4 of default cooldown) is triggered when the roll check barely made it. This way having way higher lock pick skill is more rewarding, since opening very easy locks will trigger a much shorter cooldown, sometimes allowing the player to loot and try to unlock another container if nearby.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:21:26 pm by Slowhand »

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
Re: Lockpick CD change when success.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:40:16 pm »
+1 helpful suggestion
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

Strike

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 04:42:19 pm »
I agree, there should be no lockpick CD, when player successfully pick a lock.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:52:12 pm by Bobblehead »

mdgeist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:30:55 pm »
+1, maybe half the cd

worldremaker

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:33:46 am »
OK, everybody wrote "+1" but I don't see any reasons or argumets for it here. I can't hide I'm against about this idea BECAUSE in public locations/dungeon it's bring some the uncertain atmosphere to game when the CD counts. :)

Awgy

• Supporter
  • Because of the reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »
+1 failure means something in process went wrong and you need to prepare again. Success means everything went dandy so you just need to put tools back in bag,  ergo cooldown after successful operation should be shorter than cooldown after failure IMO.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G900F przy użyciu Tapatalka

worldremaker

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 01:36:21 pm »
This idea looks better now but what about when you don't have tools, lockpicks set in your inventory? CD should depends from lockpicks skill? Or maybe from new support perks which will work like Thief support perk for steal skill?

Awgy

• Supporter
  • Because of the reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 03:04:39 pm »
I think no lockpick set is like having a Bobby pin or something this is why opening some locks (glow,  ares etc.) with no tools is next to impossible. I see it like this. So skill based cooldown for no tools and support perk with description like hmm..  "You are a master lockpicker,  as that you grew a habit to always carry basic tools in your pocket" (cooldown without tools is same as you have lockpick set equipped).  I think this could work.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G900F przy użyciu Tapatalka
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:08:42 pm by Awgy »

Slowhand

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »
"No CD" is bad idea, reduced CD with formula would be a better solution, more critter skill rewarding.

If lockpick fails, standard CD is used and lock remains unlocked ofc.
If lockpick is a success, the CD on lockpicking is dependent on high much higher ur roll on the picked lock was, for example, if u barelly reached the minimum required to pass, u get max CD, and if your roll exceedes the picked lock by soemthing close to 100, you would get min (=0sec) CD. Rolls between would have CD timer between these two values accordingly to the roll and min to pass difference.

Basically, the higher ur lockpick skill is (+ item bonus) the shorted lockpick CD you get if you succede.

This would simulate the time you spend bothering with the lock, in case of multiple locked objects. In case of only 1 locked object, this would not make any difference, since if you succeded, you move on to other non-lockpick activity anyways.

Edit: While browsing the code I found out the following:

- There was no code for electric lock picks, just in case someone found one.
- The chance to pick locks, is not like a roll for a crit, that sometimes just happens. If the lock (complexity) difficulty is higher or equal to your lock pick skill value (+bonus form item), there is no chance to open the lock. There is always a chance to fail however, the min. chance of failure is the usual 5%.
- Lock picks raise the your skill only if they are in active hand, (not in offhand, not in inventory) and they have a chance to break of 1/31 regardless of pick success or failure.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:53:42 pm by Slowhand »

Slowhand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 06:20:38 pm »
It's finished. Link to code/tutorial

The new mechanic:
  • Lock picks will break on critical failure only. (but with this chances of pick breaking is 1/20 higher than before 1/31)
  • If the player tries to pick the lock without lock picks and critical failure occurs, he will hurt his fingers for random small amount damage and will trigger a higher cooldown.
  • If the lock is unpickable by the player (because of lack of skill + tools) and a critical success occurs, the player will receive a warning message, so he does not bother anymore.
  • If the lock pick simply fails, then the default timeout will be triggered, as before
  • If the lock pick is successful, then a cooldown between 25% and 75% of default will be triggered. This cooldown depends on the roll made to pick the lock. The transition between the values is linear, when the minimum cooldown will trigger if the (skill + tool bonus - lock difficulty) is higher or equal to 50, basically the bonus value of the expanded lock pick set. The maximum cooldown (3/4 of default cooldown) is triggered when the roll check barely made it. This way having way higher lock pick skill is more rewarding, since opening very easy locks will trigger a much shorter cooldown, sometimes allowing the player to loot and try to unlock another container if nearby.

Shamessa

• Freelancer
    • View Profile
    • Rulers and Empires
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 08:30:46 am »
that is fine suggestion. +1
Freelancer

Solaire

• if only i could be so grossly incandescent...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:48:28 pm »
Thats one hell of a cool suggestion but look at it from that side when you lockpick you focus mostly to not damage a lock and shut it forever thats why your heartbeat may rise durning that action and you need to take a break(to avoid heart atack) after every succesful(or not) attempt to open lock
That explain that text you always see when try to lockpick durning CD "you taxed this ability for a while the strain may kill you" or something
I just explained point from original fallout mechanics
Also i forgot to mention that fingers may be a bit "tired" from picking locks
So a little break in that case have some logic
Thats only my opinion im not saying its bad idea but the original one isnt bad either

Praise the sun pick some locks !!!

Wysłane z mojego LG-H440n przy użyciu Tapatalka

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 01:07:20 am »
Better that what it currently is, +1

Slowhand

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:52 pm »
BUMP

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 12:19:02 pm »
Remove or at least deeply reduce all of the cooldown for success; They’re annoying as fuck.
Oh, and remove the repair cool for powerplant; It took me a week (WITH 120% SCIENCE BY THE WAY!) because of that bullshit to repair gen #1.
Obnoxious.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...