April 28, 2024, 08:46:04 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Rights to Fallout name  (Read 4260 times)

Rafaelles

• Supporter
  • Carthago delenda est!
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with some of my games like Starcraft AI and Ancient Greece game :- )
Rights to Fallout name
« on: November 11, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
I wonder: how is it possible that this game is called Fallout if it's not related to Bethesda? I guess Fallout is their trademark, right?
Normally that wouldn't be possible, even if done non-profit.

PrebaTHC

• khans are shit
  • khans are shit
    • View Profile
Re: Rights to Fallout name
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:41 pm »
Interplay used to own rights to Fallout before Bethesda did
_________________00___________________...
________________0000__________________...
____0__________000000___________0_____...
____00_________000000___________0_____...
_____0000______000000__________00_____...
_____000000____0000000_____00000______...
__0_____0000000_000000_00000000___0___...

Rafaelles

• Supporter
  • Carthago delenda est!
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with some of my games like Starcraft AI and Ancient Greece game :- )
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:36 pm »
But still, I guess it doesn't make anyone else than Interplay/Bethesda able to use it. I wonder if I could create something called Fallout as well and not get sued for it.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:46:31 pm »
But still, I guess it doesn't make anyone else than Interplay/Bethesda able to use it. I wonder if I could create something called Fallout as well and not get sued for it.

As long as you will not make cash on this, and make it fan-game.
GUN FOR HIRE

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »
If you notice the game is not officially called fallout but instead is called fonline. I remember reading something about some legal issue with bethesda and the original fonline server somewhere so then all servers had to use the name fonline instead.

Struan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 05:51:13 am »
I'm willing to bet that Beth could make a case against all fonline servers if they really wanted to. If they were to say fonline somehow drew attention away fron their product I think any of these independant teams would be hard pressed to stop them. So far it's been smooth sailing with maybe 2 incidents that have had little to no effect. Fingers crossed it stays that way and Beth's legal team does'nt get bored one day.

Wichura

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:47:11 am »
All the FOnline servers together, including Russian ones, don't attract more than 1000 people from all over the world even in peak hours. Such low number shouldn't bother big professional company in any way and it probably doesn't.

Struan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 02:51:55 am »
Thats probably true Wichura. I was just remembering something about Fonline DE right as it was getting started. I don't recall all the details really just that something happened that gave them pause for a minute.   

killer1986chris

• May your death at my hands be painless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 04:37:05 am »
Not worth the PR risk for Bethesda.  As long as the admins of the FOnline servers aren't out trying to make actual money off the game it would look bad attacking a playerbase playing a mmo clone of outdated games who are also fans and customers of the newer games in the franchise.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 02:08:49 am »
Who said anything about "Fallout"? It's "F" Online.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 09:49:44 am »
Yeah I always figured it was because fonline is basically a modded version of fallout 2, which technically means it is still creating fallout 2 sales and that it isn't an independent game/dev group cashing in on the name by selling the game or their modded version, it is fans paying to provide servers for an online mod of the game, created by fans.

It would be really weird for bethesda to attack these projects as they are, it would be like if Rockstar sued someone for hosting a server of a modded version of GTA, it just wouldn't happen. The little gain on their behalf far outweighs the effort of shutting it down for no gain (or a loss).

Gooseberry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 10:05:23 am »
Pretty much what the above posters say. There's no use for Bethesa to sue these games. With such a small playerbase and no profits being made at all, it just isn't a threat to their fat wallets.

Then there's also the issue that sueing Fonline servers would probably create quite a few news items, which would mean a rather large portion of people would learn about Fonline. That would probably be the opposite of what Bethesa wants.

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 11:02:21 am »
Yeah I always figured it was because fonline is basically a modded version of fallout 2, which technically means it is still creating fallout 2 sales and that it isn't an independent game/dev group cashing in on the name by selling the game or their modded version, it is fans paying to provide servers for an online mod of the game, created by fans.

I dont think so if we can say fonline is fallout2 mod. Basically it is independent game on new engine only inspired by fallout. However to play we need assets of fallout2 so... lol idk  call it new game which requires some part of orginal game. Definitely it is not typical mod same as in eg. restoration project.
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

worldremaker

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 11:58:25 am »
Kilan's Restoration Project or MIB's MegaMod are mods for Fallout 2 and FOnline games at known releases not. There is something like storyline. Propably you can use even Fallout 2 original engine like it is in Olympus 2077 game based directly on 1.2d version of it. You can use also sounds, graphics from original releases of Fallout and Fallout 2 games but for OST you have to get on your own a legal copy of this game or at least OST from this game (Vault Archives album, for example). I don't know what about Tactics because there are used licenced kinds of weaponry and we have there 3rd side as coproduction.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:01:47 pm by worldremaker »

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 12:29:12 pm »
I wonder: how is it possible that this game is called Fallout if it's not related to Bethesda? I guess Fallout is their trademark, right?
Normally that wouldn't be possible, even if done non-profit.

Dunno whatcha talking about, I've never heard about anything called Fallout.

Btw. nice signature, looks interesting.