April 19, 2024, 01:20:34 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Extend Plasma Rifle Range  (Read 2612 times)

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
Extend Plasma Rifle Range
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:08:05 pm »
From 30 To 35
It has a smaller range than the burst from a minigun.

Or make the Plasma Rifle have 2-3 round burst options to make it more useful.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:39:20 pm by Help Bot »
In Maintenance Mode.

Beer

• View Profile
Re: Extend Plasma Rifle Range
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:46:29 pm »
The turboplasma is upgrade of plasma rifle actually. And it has 35 range. I'd say pulse rifle is upgrade of laser rifle. Plasma already has hidden +5 crit roll, and really the only armor that counters it is tesla unlike laser dmg which is shit against metal. It is used a lot in short range fights. Its really good in reno type fights. Weird thing for me is that plasma pistol has 2 more range than plasma rifle. Maybe shorten plasma pistol range to equal rifle.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:02:23 pm »
The turboplasma is upgrade of plasma rifle actually. And it has 35 range. I'd say pulse rifle is upgrade of laser rifle. Plasma already has hidden +5 crit roll, and really the only armor that counters it is tesla unlike laser dmg which is shit against metal. It is used a lot in short range fights. Its really good in reno type fights. Weird thing for me is that plasma pistol has 2 more range than plasma rifle. Maybe shorten plasma pistol range to equal rifle.

Yeah, plasma pistol with 32 bullets (SECs) could be better balanced with lowered range by a little bit.
GUN FOR HIRE

zinthos

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 05:19:17 am »
i think the pistol range is ok and the rifle range should be increased above current pistol range. maybe 40 is a bit too much but 35-37 would still be viable

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 08:44:49 am »
35 is probably the range it should get changed to. Plasma pistol range is a bit far, but its not a great main weapon so changing it won't really affect much. Rifles should never be constricted to close quarters combat it just doesn't seem logical.

Plasma is great for crippling so keeping it the same range as bursts would probably be balanced for EW riflemen builds.

Its just that Plasma is kinda considered a secondary or TB weapon IMO since most things out range it you won't be sniping with it, and most people would probably prefer bursting weapons for getting up close especially when you have Hexing options. In the fallout universe I'd assume Laser < Plasma < Pulse < Gauss
In Maintenance Mode.

Arcanix

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 09:43:29 am »
Plasma is great for crippling so keeping it the same range as bursts would probably be balanced for EW riflemen builds.

Modes of firing, on any gun, shouldnt affect range.

What you could do is having the option to tweak the ammo, when crafting it, in order to overextend the range of the weapon. With an ammo type specific hard and soft cap table on that added range. (wieght of the bullet, mixture of gunpowder or casing). Laser, Plasma and Rocket technology ammo would follow a special table. You could also allow for faster bullets.

All this ammo tweaking need to have a downside to it in combat. No, im not talking about the cost or rarity being it. I suggest increased crit failures, severity and chance, as one such downside. Another could be an increased degeneration rate of the weapon.

When crafting ammo this way you could allow for a "science discovery" feature. The idea is that you use X and Y materials in X and Y mixtures to have a 0.005%-5% chance to discover a new type of ammo recepie. (Like faster bullets or longer range).

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »
Trust me, plasma is plenty strong as it is and is used a lot. You guys must not have been around last session when over half of each team was turbo plasma tank builds only. Reason its not anymore is they are harder to find weapons now. But sure increase range if you like. but then get rid of crit roll bonus.

What you could do is having the option to tweak the ammo, when crafting it, in order to overextend the range of the weapon. With an ammo type specific hard and soft cap table on that added range. (wieght of the bullet, mixture of gunpowder or casing). Laser, Plasma and Rocket technology ammo would follow a special table. You could also allow for faster bullets.

All this ammo tweaking need to have a downside to it in combat. No, im not talking about the cost or rarity being it. I suggest increased crit failures, severity and chance, as one such downside. Another could be an increased degeneration rate of the weapon.

When crafting ammo this way you could allow for a "science discovery" feature. The idea is that you use X and Y materials in X and Y mixtures to have a 0.005%-5% chance to discover a new type of ammo recepie. (Like faster bullets or longer range).
Mode of firing already affects range greatly on weapons like xl70. And this whole ammo tweaking feature sounds like... already implemented crafting bonus like +ap and more range and accuracy bonuses.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:55:28 pm by Beer »

Kaaon

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 01:18:18 pm »
Trust me, plasma is plenty strong as it is and is used a lot. You guys must not have been around last session when over half of each team was turbo plasma tank builds only. Reason its not anymore is they are harder to find weapons now. But sure increase range if you like. but then get rid of crit roll bonus..
TPR was completely different story, plasma rifle isnt much used, i think 35 range for it would be fine because atm every burster will outrange you

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 02:55:44 pm »
Trust me, plasma is plenty strong as it is and is used a lot. You guys must not have been around last session when over half of each team was turbo plasma tank builds only. Reason its not anymore is they are harder to find weapons now. But sure increase range if you like. but then get rid of crit roll bonus..
TPR was completely different story, plasma rifle isnt much used, i think 35 range for it would be fine because atm every burster will outrange you
Only difference in them is 1ap 10 dmg and 5 range. Maybe its just coincidence but ive seen lot of plasmas in reno.

Arcanix

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »
Mode of firing already affects range greatly on weapons like xl70.

I say that again...

And this whole ammo tweaking feature sounds like... already implemented crafting bonus like +ap and more range and accuracy bonuses.

Are you talking about weapon crafting or ammo crafting. You can have both features...

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:36:25 pm »
Only difference in them is 1ap 10 dmg and 5 range. Maybe its just coincidence but ive seen lot of plasmas in reno.
Turbo costs 1 AP to shoot on a regular basis, did extra damage and range. You could in one turn kill a 300HP HPA Tank. Then again I heard you could use the laser rifle to do that too.

Plasma is cheap and effective for fights in close quarters, but just cause its used in Reno doesn't mean its not out of place. Just like the G11 its not really used where you'd expect to see it. 35 range makes sense, since Turbo can't be crafted so for the most part all Plasma rifles will be out ranged by minigun bursts, and all other single shot weapons.
In Maintenance Mode.

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 09:07:45 am »
quote author=Help Bot link=topic=9134.msg72002#msg72002 date=1443224185]
Turbo costs 1 AP to shoot on a regular basis, did extra damage and range. You could in one turn kill a 300HP HPA Tank. Then again I heard you could use the laser rifle to do that too.

Plasma is cheap and effective for fights in close quarters, but just cause its used in Reno doesn't mean its not out of place. Just like the G11 its not really used where you'd expect to see it. 35 range makes sense, since Turbo can't be crafted so for the most part all Plasma rifles will be out ranged by minigun bursts, and all other single shot weapons.
[/quote]
Last session you could kill 300hp hpa tank in a turn like that with any gun basically. because tb is broken with -ap gun and fast shot(and stacking +ap cookies). But G11 isnt used much because it doesnt really have huge advantages over going with some other option thats more common and its ammo is used in much better gun. plasma rifle is actually decent. Like pancor is only used in reno and is outranged by almost everything but it is not out of place.

I just really dont want repeat of plasma swarm going for ko/cripple like last session in all fights everywhere, which will happen already once most people get phoenix/dermal implant and pa so gatling and shit is no longer doing much dmg.