April 27, 2024, 06:23:50 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: your own train system  (Read 2127 times)

Hungry Hungry Shark

your own train system
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:32:13 pm »
Private faction-controlled train stations A and B. "A" fast travels to B which fast travels back to A. But no waiting for train like on public train stations, just immediate travel.

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
Re: your own train system
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 01:02:26 am »
Why not just make the actual train system immediate?

Personal train systems don't make that much sense to me, unless each train node costs 10 million, and only covered 10-20 squares of distance from one another.

Trains in post apocalyptia should be expensive. Maybe 100 Million instead of just 10 for added prestige. Then ENTIRE NCR doesn't have the capability to make trains from New Vegas to Cali, despite having pre-exisiting rails. Even Mr. House struggles to maintain the current monorail, which is dysfunctional(by his standards).
In Maintenance Mode.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 04:03:02 am »
What this town needs is a genuine bonified electrified 6-car monorail!

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 05:48:01 am »
What this town needs is a genuine bonified electrified 6-car monorail!
lol, link didn't pop till I quoted.
Better trains would be good, either make the trains like caravan missions, or make them immediate transports like teleportation. waiting for trains isn't fun, and cars are easy to get.
In Maintenance Mode.

Gooseberry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:08:53 am »
If you want the train system to become decent, just keep it public but ensure that buying a ticket simply teleports you to your destination instantly. This way lower levels or those with no ODM/cars can travel to various towns rapidly if they have some caps.

I see trains as a PVE/Loner feature, seeing that every single organised group has 10+ cars and a network of bases around the worldmap.

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »
-1 for private train

+1 for public train stations and instant teleport but only if player pay caps

I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

Arcanix

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 01:19:54 pm »
Moonorail saleman!

Need a few of those in towns. Either selling legit trains or just scamming.

Some salemen should be walking around screaming their lungs out.

Have news paper guys selling the Daily Khan, and other faction news papers.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:09:39 pm by Arcanix »

Styles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:31:57 pm »
Talking about the idea of "Fast Travel" what about having an NPC we can go and pay X amount of caps so we can teleport to any location using zones/coordinates?

So the guy will ask you where you want to go, using the "say" feature you put in the zone/coordinates. Example: 30:39 : 1513 1965. He will then ask are you sure? He won't let you travel to a location that is water.

Could have it so the further you want to travel the more it will cost.

The location could be the crashed shuttle from Fallout 2. Or just some scientist guy with a lot of machines around him, maybe in Gecko. It could also make for a good money sink.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:55:13 pm »
NPC taxi service sounds good. He shows up in Hub or NCR or various places and yells "Taxi!" and a short departure timer starts. By tagging him you enable dialogue. You choose from a list of standard destinations and pay him up front. He's on a short timer there (to take more passengers) and then departs. You follow him and BAM you're already in his Highwayman (so you cannot steal it) but if you paid. No pay, he kicks you out. He goes to those places and you get dropped off (kicked out of party). If your destination is some weird zone, you choose a destination in that direction and jump out when you get close.

No insta-travel though. This is not Star Track lol.

Styles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 08:03:08 pm »
NPC taxi service sounds good. He shows up in Hub or NCR or various places and yells "Taxi!" and a short departure timer starts. By tagging him you enable dialogue. You choose from a list of standard destinations and pay him up front. He's on a short timer there (to take more passengers) and then departs. You follow him and BAM you're already in his Highwayman (so you cannot steal it) but if you paid. No pay, he kicks you out. He goes to those places and you get dropped off (kicked out of party). If your destination is some weird zone, you choose a destination in that direction and jump out when you get close.

No insta-travel though. This is not Star Track lol.

To be fair "Star Track" travel is in Fallout. Fallout 3 and New Vegas and I am guessing Fallout 4. I am not sure if the community here gives two shits about those games, but if they don't I can understand the objection to it.

NPC taxi would be interesting but you still couldn't go to the islands using it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:14:19 pm by Styles »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 08:30:29 pm »
Water travel is possible here - only needs someone to add the little PT Boat as a vehicle.

Styles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 08:35:24 pm »
Water travel is possible here - only needs someone to add the little PT Boat as a vehicle.

If there is a boat and a means to buy it. I am all for that.