April 28, 2024, 12:55:15 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Your pipboy archives have a short wiki on them.  (Read 1737 times)

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
Your pipboy archives have a short wiki on them.
« on: September 02, 2015, 05:16:26 pm »
Teaches you the basics, first tent in wastes quest. What to do, what to take.
How to shovel poop, and move boxes.

The archives have an entry telling you about where and how to gather resources on the world map.
What red zones mean, and which towns are guarded or not.

Upon player spawning a message pops up saying I seem to have something on my pip boy journals I should read them.

This is to avoid bluesuit spawning, gets PK'd, doesn't know what to do. Then 15 other CA/PA players stand in the HUB and do nothing or laugh to themselves after PK'ing the bluesuit who rage quits later.
In Maintenance Mode.

Blarney

• View Profile
Re: Your pipboy archives have a short wiki on them.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:38:26 pm »
Yes +1

In the notes section so much information could be added, if it was vague enough it could even survive future changes (or just be edited later).

For the sake of lore or whatever you could add the info by completing hub quests or as early quest rewards, holodisks with tutorial style information.

Along a similar line of thought, I really think the SPECIALs descriptions in the character creation screen should tell new people how it really is (like how the wiki does), I.E. under charisma there would be a warning of how little influence it has, and under endurance there would be a strong advisory message to put it up very high etc.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:41:17 pm by Blarney »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:24:23 am »
+1 but don't worry, they are adding JSON feature to F1 overlay. F1 will have multiple pages of custom help files so you can have loads of helpful info in-game. As it is now, we can use holotapes for this but it's painful to build a holotape library.

Also i heard they are adding an intro area maybe...(?) like a newp startup area. It sounds to me like the one in TLA M2 but not sure.

Arcanix

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:37:09 am »
The pipboy could be more useful overall. In the Fallout world its an essential item.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:15:41 am »
Also i heard they are adding an intro area maybe...(?) like a newp startup area. It sounds to me like the one in TLA M2 but not sure.

Interesting, it might be cool to have a starter quest to emerge from a vault, as we have the pipboy for a reason right?

There could be computers in this starter vault that upload heaps of info to the pipboy for new players, that older players (or rerollers) would ignore etc.

I wonder what they plan?

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand ManiacsĀ®
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 04:31:36 am »
Hear this out;

You look at a fiber plant, your text pox will say, "A fiber plant. You could get fibers from it is you had a knife." Same for trees, veins, whatevs.
If you update your pipboy (available at certain discriminating high tech settlements, prices may vary), you can even upgrade the quality of the information.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 12:07:54 pm »
Hear this out;

You look at a fiber plant, your text pox will say, "A fiber plant. You could get fibers from it is you had a knife." Same for trees, veins, whatevs.
If you update your pipboy (available at certain discriminating high tech settlements, prices may vary), you can even upgrade the quality of the information.

Yeah I can agree to that, quite a bit of useful info could be added to the visual description when hovering over things. It's also a very classy way to add information, though it doesn't work for everything, the things it does work for could utilise this space to save having to explain it elsewhere.