April 24, 2024, 08:00:42 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Best free Video Recorder?  (Read 2563 times)

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
Best free Video Recorder?
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:06:50 pm »
So I know there are quite a lot of free programs out there, but I'm trying to find the best quality and easiest one to use. What does everyone else use?

zinthos

Re: Best free Video Recorder?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:08:49 pm »
dxtory with x264wfv codec, it has a lot of settings so you dont have to buy another hard drive to store vids

and everything is free on the internet

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:34 pm »
Yeah but how complicated is it?

HerO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:21:36 pm »
I'll write this up in more detail later but for now

Fraps is the easiest. Not much options and a you do is hit record and that'a it. Most likely as soon as you install it you won't even have to change any settings apart from record button. But the file size is HUGE tho. I'll write about others when I'm home.

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:36:58 pm »
Word. Thanks guys.

superschokokeks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:19:41 pm »
You need a lot of space and time for recording.
Space because recording usually grow very fast.

Time is depended on how much work you want to put in there.
You have to code your videos, but I think some recording tools code the videos on the fly, but
you need a fast hardware for it.
Maybe you want to cut some scenery. Make maybe something like a slideshow

Use fraps and look how it work out for you.
Then use Windows movie maker to make the video from big to small. Just to learn the basic
Making videos need more effort than you think at the beginning, so start small and use some useful guides, which
I dont know on the internet.
Or wait until somebody has a better plan for you at the forum.

HerO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:33 pm »
Well to be honest if you got the space then fraps is just fine unless your PC is not so good then fraps has a higher impact on frame rates than other recording software but lets assume that

a. you have a decent amount of space to store vids
b. you PC is relatively decent

Then fraps would be the best and as soon as you download it from the internet ("borrow" it from the internet if you get me ;))
all you would have to do is edit what button you want to be hitting to record and also at what frame rate you wanna record at.

Then you can do a test video and see if it all checks out (96%) chance it will be all fine on first run and resolution etc is good. If not then time to ask google or write here. Also test how the sound is recorded e.g can you hear ts/mumble and ingame etc etc.

As for editing then 100% use sony vegas 11 pro (again you will have to "borrow" it). Its best editing software imo and just great. When you start out it may look daunting but trust me once you get used to it its so much worth it. Especially all the cool stuff you can do and if you wanna make any type of effects you can google it or youtube. For all my effects in videos and stuff there was always a youtube vid on it. Speeding/cutting/splitting is all easily done and once you get the basics it will look very professional.

Problems that may occur. (Read this after you have tried to render a vid and something is wrong. here are the 2 usual problems that i will write about now. If you rendered vid just fine and it all looks good then do not worry and do not change anything but if problems do occur then read on. If they dont then skip the next 2 paragraphs)

One problem with using fraps/sony vegas11 combo was when i would render vid it would come out "dark" but all i had to do was click on where the video is. Open up the video track FX and find "sony levels" then i changed it from default to "computer RGB to studio RGB". I had this problem on 2 separate PCs so yeah. You will have to change this for every vid edit.

Also when rendering make sure you have un-checked the "render loop region only"  and also when you chose to render video in whatever you wanna do it in make sure you customize template. If you have dedicated graphics card make sure you render with CPU only cause if you do it with GPU problems may occur atleast with the GTX 770 then it would not render. If you just got laptop or w/e then the defaults should be fine.

Anyway it looks daunting but once you get used to it its really cool. Everytime i edit up a video i learn new cool tricks and edits i can do.

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »
Someone told me Open Broadcast Software is easier than FRAPS, but I'll give each a shot. Thanks for all the input guys.

Gooseberry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »
Someone told me Open Broadcast Software is easier than FRAPS, but I'll give each a shot. Thanks for all the input guys.

Is better than fraps rather. I highly recommend OBS, I use it myself to record. It is also great for streaming.

Strike

HerO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 01:16:54 pm »
Again from phone sooooo yeah.

Shadowplay is very good however to record fonline with it you must set shadowplay to record your monitor and play fonline in window mode. If you already play in window mode then yes I recommend shadowplay for sure. However if there is a workaround to play full screen and have access to shadowplay I would be very interested.