May 01, 2024, 12:58:34 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: You hear footsteps - a message when somebody invades your encounter  (Read 5629 times)

vig

• View Profile
    • Blog and artwork dump
Currently, when you spend too much time in an encounter you get to hear a clicking sound
This means that soon, creatures (dogs, mantis or rats) will appear.

I suggest adding:
You hear footsteps
or
You hear somebody approaching
or
You hear a loud fart and one hand clapping
when a player invades your encounter.

You will have as much information as the person joining so you can be prepared for possible combat. The message should not appear if the player travelling on the map is forced into the encounter rather than choosing to invade.

If you miss the notification because you were busy rummaging through a footlocker or looting dead critters, it's your own fault. If you notice the notification and decide to take action, maybe you will drop all the crap that might be overloading you and escape, or reload your weapon and prepare for combat. You won't know who is coming or where from so it won't really give you any real advantage. On the contrary, it makes it more fair against rpk's
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:35:56 pm by vig »

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
Re: You hear footsteps - a message when somebody invades your encounter
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:32:30 pm »
Not a bad idea.

Although I don't think you get forced player encounters anymore, so shouldn't matter.

Vanadiss

• ポルカおるか?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:02:20 pm »
Many people will say that this will ruin the main source of fun [PKing], but...
But it's always a good idea.

OldBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:07 pm »
Maybe connect this to your perception.
If you have high perception then more chance to hear that someone approach or something like that :)

Petrolz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:56:39 pm »
Why not just zoom out the map and you will see if someone comes based on your sight(perception)? And in the maps with building well why would you able to get notification of someone entering encounter? I mean what device would enable that? You don't have super hearing :D And you already have motion sensor.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:59:30 pm by Petrolz »
“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54:22 pm »
+100.
Or "You hear a car."
 >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Troll

• Supporter
  • Trollmageddon soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:17:33 pm »
I remember when encounters on players could be forced:
-"aaarghhh nooooo!! Don't kill me I farmed 3 days to buy this highwaymen"

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 02:18:14 am »
They still can be.......
What game are YOU playing?

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:29:28 am »
Currently, when you spend too much time in an encounter you get to hear a clicking sound
This means that soon, creatures (dogs, mantis or rats) will appear.

I suggest adding:
You hear footsteps
or
You hear somebody approaching
or
You hear a loud fart and one hand clapping
when a player invades your encounter.

You will have as much information as the person joining so you can be prepared for possible combat. The message should not appear if the player travelling on the map is forced into the encounter rather than choosing to invade.

If you miss the notification because you were busy rummaging through a footlocker or looting dead critters, it's your own fault. If you notice the notification and decide to take action, maybe you will drop all the crap that might be overloading you and escape, or reload your weapon and prepare for combat. You won't know who is coming or where from so it won't really give you any real advantage. On the contrary, it makes it more fair against rpk's

I think it's cool, so +1 for "you hear footsteps" so atmospheric!

but in all due honestly, I can feel when someone enters my encounter... In TB it's really easy to spot, but RT I guess not so easy.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:17 am »
+1 making it based on perception would be awesome

Why not just zoom out the map and you will see if someone comes based on your sight(perception)? And in the maps with building well why would you able to get notification of someone entering encounter? I mean what device would enable that? You don't have super hearing :D And you already have motion sensor.
You can't see through walls, not everyone has high perception, motion sensors will be way less uncommon now with wipe (hopefully)

Perception is good because in FO3 or NV, you can see npcs around you under your HP? bar. And varies on PE

Petrolz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 09:49:10 am »
+1 making it based on perception would be awesome

Quote from: Petrolz on April 28, 2015, 09:56:39 PM
You can't see through walls, not everyone has high perception, motion sensors will be way less uncommon now with wipe (hopefully)

Perception is good because in FO3 or NV, you can see npcs around you under your HP? bar. And varies on PE

You are right and I know it\s a game so you could put what you want... But still, if you are in 1 corner of the map I don't see how would it be possible that you hear someone on other corner... Okay, with you eyes you can see far, far away that is reality, you would see some kind of "form" tho you wouldn't know what it is but if something is blocking your veiw you cant see shit. Also if you could "hear" something at some distance, that mean you would need to hear if someone is sneaking up on you and from which side and how near he is... Tho imagine if there is nothing blocking your view you could see over 54hex(if you are sniper), but everything over you max view is scrambled you dont see who it is or what is he wearing. But you can see that something is there.

About f3 yeah that was good, on high perception you could see much futher and where are oponents. Tho i don't remember that you could see if there is something blocking you view?
“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

Troll

• Supporter
  • Trollmageddon soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 11:11:23 am »
They still can be.......
What game are YOU playing?

I didn't explain the situation clearly, the guy dropped in my encounter with car and thaugh "oh fuck, I'm stuck here". He moves around his car, and here I am, with a double burst flamer build, at 3 or 4 hex range :)
Now you just cancel, and you don't take any chance to loose your car.

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 01:10:28 am »
I didn't explain the situation clearly, the guy dropped in my encounter with car and thaugh "oh fuck, I'm stuck here". He moves around his car, and here I am, with a double burst flamer build, at 3 or 4 hex range :)
Now you just cancel, and you don't take any chance to loose your car.

Hmmmmm..... I lost a truck and a shitton of stuff to a "short hop" from a then roughly 2/3 the way from Necropolis to Gun Runners to a tent roughly 1/4 from Warehouse to Boneyard Train station to exactly that scenario.....

Strike

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 05:54:47 am »
Perception check for this feature and I will give +1 :D

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 04:04:58 pm »
Perception check for this feature and I will give +1 :D

Not so much.... it doesn't mater HOW overgrown or desolate the bush is, unless "they" really know what they're doing (that means professional training) they can't really sneak up to well. You may not see them, you may not know 'where' they are, but you'll know they're around.

But make it effected by sneaking, and that would be a different story......