March 29, 2024, 12:47:28 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: A Noobs Start  (Read 5816 times)

damonicos

• ..so two raiders walk into the malumute..
    • View Profile
A Noobs Start
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »
I just wanted to share my beginning to FOnline: Reloaded
I had just got nostalgic and finished fallout 1 and 2 all restored and fixed up and then found Fonline: Reloaded while lookin for modding tips.. Couldnt believe i missed this these couple years.

Fallout Char Ok i got this. - Noob thoughts

4 Strength - gonna need to carry stuff obviously.
6 Perception - All I ever needed to hit stuff in Fallout
6 Endurance - Thats tough enough to take some hits
2 Charisma - I want a companion, Thats cool.
8 Intelligence - Im always a smartass
8 Agility - 9 AP is good.
6 Luck - Good Luck
Fast Metabolism- I didnt need drugs in Fallout.. i imagine, healing will be handy.
Fast Shot -  I couldnt possibly have time to snipe eyes against PLAYERs!! no way jose :o
-Small guns, -firstaid, -lockpick.  Good to Go!

Started as normal, Had a message to deliver, learned something about drinking water, goto the hub.
Caravan guard said something about going up to broken hills and redding.. im thinking, no way the map goes that far north!?
Head to the hub, on my way I encounter 3 raiders. No Problem. I know fallout, i'll just use my action points to walk to exit grid.
Wrong, Right as the zone loads and They start firing at me, the 3rd punk charging me spear in hand.
WHat!?! Its not Turnbased!? OMG, I Run! Straight to the left towards the grid, and watch in realtime the 3 raiders sprinting after me. I couldnt help but Laugh at the circumstance thinking "So THIS is what it woulda looked like in realtime, all those times i ran in Fallout.... COOL!" Then I quickly learn how to change default to TB... I know TB...

Get to the Hub walk in and see a group in combat armor chatting about something..
I was expecting either everyone wore power armor, or leather jackets. But nope, just Combat armor.
I say "Coooool" My first time chatting in Fonline! Some one showed me where to drop boxes and I knew from Fallout experience
where abouts to find the FarGo Traders.. delivered my message, explored abit  then
A girl in combat armor comes over, gives me a gun and tells me to follow them
they show me footlockers in boneyard, explain its dangerous. As she picks the lock of the box and lets me grab the stuff, a sneak burster blew her away from behind.. I had time to say Omg, and enough AP i guess to escape.. barely... welcome to fallout.. i got lucky!
Then i notice the tent in the wasteland quest on map, and i head that way. Do the quest, get the tent, and decide im going to move the tent closer to the hub.. Thats when I get jumped by Someone. Was only dogs or something, but the laser blasts from out of sight told me i was screwed. I am Dead, Tent, All that loot, everything. My Rubber Boots!
I reload only to realize, the tent quest is over, and i am tentless.
So I head back to the hub and start shoveling crap..
Then I meet another player, Also shoveling crap. We give eachother some tips of what little we know, and we start working together.
I am able to trade some loot in before long to buy the materials for a fresh tent, and then I begin to really loot
When I wasn't looting i was mining near junktown, or trying to figure out bases.
Finally when i had gathered the 35k to buy a base, i start doing some research to learn i can build bases.
Then I learn I can capture cows with rope.
So i start mining and gathering materials, and using a trusty brahmin to get my scores home.
I finally figure out how to build a base so I do it, I start construction of a Depot. My new friend assisting along the way.
The Day came when i had to get my hundreds of wood and junk to the construction site from my tent.
But how!? I dont know the first thing about cars and I probably cant afford one.. and my cow is too unreliable, i'll be pretty upset if my cow dies sumwhere with 800 materials...
Then I stumble upon a Cart Seller... cheap and all i need is my brahmin! Perfect! SO COOL (a useless caravan cart maybe useless but soooo damn cool)
Up until that point I only ever went out in a blue suit.. Now its time to Lock and Load.
I Grab my best Mk 2 Combat Armor i found looting, my Best Assault Rifle, a 44magnum and a tonne of ammo, Load up my Cart
with everything i own and I went.
I had hoped to wait for my friends assistance but i was impatient. that depot needed building!
It was one of the best adventures I had. Me and my Brahmin Cart with everything i owned. It got really close a couple times, but i Made it. Built the depot, and we have been doing ok for ourselves since.. Have quite a parking lot now =D

Good Times, Good Game! Here's to More good times in the future! Reloaded I Salute You

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A Noobs Start
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:44:24 pm »
Cool story bro!
Thanks for feedback, it's really helpful to see the point of view of a new, solo player. Nowadays fresh start is quite difficult for those less patient, but the next session will have an optional tutorial for new players where they can learn basic skills and get few levels of experience, as well as some starter kit and location to store their precious stuff.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:46:49 pm »
I just smiled the whole time reading this. Well done! And well written.

I'm curious to know which perks you chose.

FYI: St 5 allows Adrenaline Rush. Also you can get up to 2 companion followers with only 1 Charisma. Endurance 10 gives you mandatory minimum HP. Anything less is considered a mistake by nearly 100% of this community.

damonicos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:21:56 pm »
I just smiled the whole time reading this. Well done! And well written.

I'm curious to know which perks you chose.

FYI: St 5 allows Adrenaline Rush. Also you can get up to 2 companion followers with only 1 Charisma. Endurance 10 gives you mandatory minimum HP. Anything less is considered a mistake by nearly 100% of this community.

Thanks.
My Perks were:

Livewire - Double AC based on 8 Agility HAS to be good!
Toughness - Always loved Toughness
More Critical - Love them exploding shots
Dodger - Same logic as Livewire
Even More Critical - *Boom* *SPLAT* *thump*
Even Tougher - You cant see it but i'm tough
Sharpshooter - Makes up for my lowish perception
Bonus Rate of Fire - Umm. Yea!

Its actually not a bad build. i mean..  I didnt know about -ap weapons when i built this char so he ended up bein pretty damaging
and I did not realize AC was Realtime.. obviously cuz the Fallouts dont have any realtime at all, so i thought that was all just pure defensive choices, turns out the Livewire and dodger are useless in turnbased.

I have since learned much about building a char.
I Love Adrenaline Rush and I see the benefits of it now, and my Chars always have the 10 Endurance for the HP now.
The Planning for drugs is where it gets complicated for me. So for now I just dont want to worry about it, and plan with just like smoking and nuka cola in mind, Maybe.
There are like 3 golden recipes for pvp, which kinda bugs me. Hopefully we will get things like companions fixed up, add more variance to how you fight. But PvP is a distant future for me. For now I just like to Imagine that I can build a group that can fend off attacks once in a while, and guard the weak against the wastes.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:24:40 pm by damonicos »

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 09:34:59 pm »
As she picks the lock of the box and lets me grab the stuff, a sneak burster blew her away from behind..

8)

damonicos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »
Cool story bro!
Thanks for feedback, it's really helpful to see the point of view of a new, solo player. Nowadays fresh start is quite difficult for those less patient, but the next session will have an optional tutorial for new players where they can learn basic skills and get few levels of experience, as well as some starter kit and location to store their precious stuff.

Thats a Good Idea. I see a Tutorial being a great asset. I have experience with at least the User interface of the original game and there is alot of important things i didnt know, like Alt clicking for instance. New players often don't know how to hold down the mouse to look or Use, tag, etc..

All in all though I would say the game isn't overly rough to get started in. In my experience players either want to ask other players if they have an axe and survive like that somehow, or go out there and learn how to craft an axe and figure it out. Its amazing with a Button like "Fix Boy" on the interface and players dont seem to know how to craft an axe..
No amount of tutorials will help those people.. X\

Having a Low Level Turn-Based Caravan option would be cool I think. A Questing PvE type situation where noobs can meet eachother and work together- have time to talk cuz of turnbased, safeish from PvP unless they brave enough to attack an active caravan, and easy to access for new players. It is tough to meet players out there.. Which is charming in itself.. Kill or be killed atmosphere.. but the friendly questing could be helpful for players getting to know the game and eachother.

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:35:46 am »
Wow man, good story. I enjoyed reading that. You should maybe consider writing for the game devs. i think you could make some epic stories/quests maybe. Also i think you have a good attitude for this game. You expect pkers and stuff and see it as part of the thrill instead of as "PVPERS ARE TOXIC BAN THEM ALL!" iguana vendor style. You are a noob I like and we need more like you in this game i think..

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 03:24:28 am »
Your character needs a reroll :P

and cool story bra

damonicos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 12:55:59 pm »
Wow man, good story. I enjoyed reading that. You should maybe consider writing for the game devs. i think you could make some epic stories/quests maybe. Also i think you have a good attitude for this game. You expect pkers and stuff and see it as part of the thrill instead of as "PVPERS ARE TOXIC BAN THEM ALL!" iguana vendor style. You are a noob I like and we need more like you in this game i think..

Ego Up - Higher than a Great Khan in a vertibird

Thanks, I am already debating how I can best contribute, I can to try my hand at some maps, I'm good with creative stuff and already have the mapper.. if i can summon the patience and time. coin incentive to the devs, when i can gather the caps heh. And I love to write so hmph..
I fell in love with Fallout years ago, and dreamed of how cool it could be online, but twas but a distant dream back then with only the rich rocking 56k modems, never imagined it would one day happen. and Reloaded is all that and more so i'm hooked.

I want to help bring the fallout world to life. And Reloaded makes it possible =D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:59:00 pm by damonicos »

Ina Blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:22:47 pm »
Probably I met you shoveling shit hahaha. My story is similar but i was more lucky at the begining, someone gave me a combat armor and a HK p90c when i returned for 6th time severely wouded to the Hub, explained me basics and why my noob character is a shit. Then I started reading wiki and realizing how useless were the plans for my character (a papermade outdoorsman sneaker). I could plant the tent fast and get good resources thanks to high outdoorsman skill and I get first good weapons in payment for warding the entrance of a mine for another player while he was extracting quality resources. I didn't an alt, when I realized there's a wipe coming soon I started exploring the world for quests and trying to find a fucking Fuel Cell Controller for a motorbike (no one want to trade them, now i know why xD).

Well, I always die of sight (with my pretty 114 HP) but it's still funny looking for treasures and visiting new towns for quests.

I fell in love with Fallout years ago, and dreamed of how cool it could be online, but twas but a distant dream back then with only the rich rocking 56k modems, never imagined it would one day happen. and Reloaded is all that and more so i'm hooked.

;D

Coltheim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:55 pm »
You... I like you. You remind me of myself.
BULLSHEVIK.

damonicos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 01:51:47 pm »
Thanks Coltheim!
You... I like you. You remind me of myself.
I like myself too

damonicos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »
Probably I met you shoveling shit hahaha. My story is similar but i was more lucky at the begining, someone gave me a combat armor and a HK p90c when i returned for 6th time severely wouded to the Hub, explained me basics and why my noob character is a shit. Then I started reading wiki and realizing how useless were the plans for my character (a papermade outdoorsman sneaker). I could plant the tent fast and get good resources thanks to high outdoorsman skill and I get first good weapons in payment for warding the entrance of a mine for another player while he was extracting quality resources. I didn't an alt, when I realized there's a wipe coming soon I started exploring the world for quests and trying to find a fucking Fuel Cell Controller for a motorbike (no one want to trade them, now i know why xD).

Well, I always die of sight (with my pretty 114 HP) but it's still funny looking for treasures and visiting new towns for quests.

Yes I spent much time searching for my first Fuel Cell.. I think it was literally the 10th car wreck I found one.
Funny thing. Is without a word of a lie, on my way to san fran after finding the part. I found 2 More parts, the 3rd i found literally right outside the San Fran Garage, like the same zone.. so i walked in with 3 parts... and then bought a cockroach because i thought you only need the part once for the roach, then u could buy any car from Todd freely, LOL. good thing i held on to the other 2 parts. =D

Ive been doing much the same, Just exploring, and trying out different builds.. i have like 12 alts, 10 of them suck.. the other two are Suck-In-Progress's. ;) But I'm learning what i can.

Ina Blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 04:47:26 pm »
Ive been doing much the same, Just exploring, and trying out different builds.. i have like 12 alts, 10 of them suck.. the other two are Suck-In-Progress's. ;) But I'm learning what i can.

Keep trying, there is a pretty cool tool to plan characters.
(probably you already know about its existence, but just in case... xD).

Troll

• Supporter
  • Trollmageddon soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 05:23:01 pm »
I have since learned much about building a char.

Remember these few tips to build a character.
Ask your self these simple questions before even thinking of a special:
-What weapon (sg/ew/bg or both) and combat style (long range/short range/tank/burst/aim...)
You now know how tough you need to be and also what perception you need
-What perks do I want/need (don't plan a +1 special as perk, would be a mistake)
See the perks requirements, check wiki for accurate info about how the perk works with increased/decreased special
-What drugs you need in combat, you can compensate a drug downside by taking another, like buffout/nuka or jet/psycho, always take cigs
See how drugs can modify your special
-Create you SPECIAL, start with 10 EN/1 CH and pick up traits (small frame/bonehead is the standard PVP combo).
If you lack a special point to make what you see fit, don't take bonehead.
Try to have 10 action points, the more you have the faster they regenerate in RT.
Meet a special requirement precisely or not at all and put the points elsewhere, exemple:
ST? You want to take adrenaline rush => 5ST
You want to take stonewall => 6ST
None of the above => 1 ST
You don't care about perks, its a mining character => 10 ST  ;)
Don't put luck below 3 or 4, it increases armor bypass resistance. A 1 LK char makes tons of crit fails and gets raped by aimed shots.

Most of the things you need to know for a start, but you'll discover more by yoursef. Nice story btw.