April 30, 2024, 06:36:20 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Base System  (Read 4492 times)

Beer

• View Profile
Re: Base System
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:24 pm »
Off topic but if we are going to have coded doors, eye scanners or both... Shouldn't we then have electronic lock picks? For them to work effectively, one could need really high science skill, maybe combined with a support perk. Also make them a rare item, with the chance they will get destroyed if you fail. You would need to have the device to option things with electronic locks.

On topic. I agree with having rooms and secure lockers would be good for factions.
No if you actually want people to use bases then putting in ways to pick the rooms open is a terrible idea. You can already lockpick the vault door (which I think you shouldn't be able to do) so it would be a lot of wasted time to make a bunch of rooms nobody will use because their stuff will get stolen.

Crazeddoctor

• Professional Reno Bluesuiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 03:30:19 pm »
excellent point beer -1 on the electronic lockpicks. Unless lockers in bases were unpickable and some locks in special dungeons require this item.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 07:25:24 pm »
Bleh -1 imo, sorry.

I prefer the old system from 2238. Chaotic and fun. But it's not my call so just ignore me. I'm nostalgic lol.

Moep

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:13 pm »
+1. Napalm is hitting the target on this one. I believe this kind of feature would seriously promote member interaction at faction bases because what stifles it now is the constant threat of theft. But if players met at bases more, worked there, collaborated there, i believe this would enhance the playability of this game for more people, the ones that starve solo and prefer more social interaction. As it is now, new players visit at bases like crazy until they realize there is no security, and their stuff is missing. I believe some quit at that moment, or go solo [and are never seen again].

It has been my intention for a long time now to design a level 2 for the bunker base (so the elevator would need to work, maybe with a repair quest) and level 2 would basically be a giant square hallway with rooms on the outside and rooms on the inside of the square. Each member gets an assigned room which has a locked door. The doors open either with an auto-ID function (like Kilgore's retina scan), or with a 4-digit code exactly as Kilgore suggested. The code method, however, requires someone add another GUI to the game, much like the existing elevator GUI.

Then remember all those useless broken computers on the bunker's level 1 over to the left? A quest (science) allows one of them to be made functional again, and that's the computer that allows the base leader to edit the door codes.

So far, i have not seen the bunker base map anywhere. If you know where it is, please tell me.

+1

Styles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 09:47:47 pm »
Off topic but if we are going to have coded doors, eye scanners or both... Shouldn't we then have electronic lock picks? For them to work effectively, one could need really high science skill, maybe combined with a support perk. Also make them a rare item, with the chance they will get destroyed if you fail. You would need to have the device to option things with electronic locks.

On topic. I agree with having rooms and secure lockers would be good for factions.
No if you actually want people to use bases then putting in ways to pick the rooms open is a terrible idea. You can already lockpick the vault door (which I think you shouldn't be able to do) so it would be a lot of wasted time to make a bunch of rooms nobody will use because their stuff will get stolen.

If it is a coded system then there should be IMO a way to lock pick it. Eye scanner could be very hard to pick compared to the code.

It would be a nice middle for people who want the chaos of the older versions of the game where nothing is safe and the people who want more security. 

Having really high lock pick, with really high science plus a rare device that can't be crafted, that can also break. To me seems like a nice balance. Could have a support perk as well.

Not sure if it could be done but lets say someone does pick the locks... maybe there could be a security message. So when the owner goes to use the thing that was locked. S/he will know who opened it.

Could also add more security by being able to trap doors and containers. But people have said that would be abused. But if you make it so placing a trap in towns gets you shot at, then that would solve the abuse problem.

Anyways if cars and such have locks that can't be picked... then towns and such will be flooded with vehicles. There needs to be some threat that your items can be taken.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 03:26:56 am »
Beer is correct. And electronic lockpicks do not open electronic locks anyway. They open regular locks. They are electronic, but they open regular locks. So the coded doors would be unpickable, which is what i suggest would be needed to make best use of Napalm's suggestion.

Styles

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 04:36:47 pm »
I notice that an argument comes up around these forums when it comes to making things easier, and that is the "Care Bear" argument.

If we have containers that can't be opened by anyone else. Doesn't that just make the game easier? Removes the threat of losing your stuff.

If there is an option for the faction leader to control the codes of the rooms... That can be abused. You let people join your faction. Give them a room. Then change the codes and kick them out of the faction. Hence stealing their stuff.

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 08:27:05 pm »
I notice that an argument comes up around these forums when it comes to making things easier, and that is the "Care Bear" argument.

If we have containers that can't be opened by anyone else. Doesn't that just make the game easier? Removes the threat of losing your stuff.

If there is an option for the faction leader to control the codes of the rooms... That can be abused. You let people join your faction. Give them a room. Then change the codes and kick them out of the faction. Hence stealing their stuff.
its not that the things will be lost. its about making some features more useful. If full item drops on death are removed that is carebear shit. but this is not. nobody uses bases because they are not secure like tents. it would encourage faction interaction and make there be a point to having a base as more than something to just accept faction invites. This is coming from a pvp player that normally shits on all carebear ideas as well mind you. If someone sign into a faction and leader kicks them and steals their stuff, thats fine. Shouldnt have joined a shitty faction imo.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 10:46:09 pm »
Yeah this idea makes the game more difficult, not easier. More difficult because right now, nobody is losing any gear by theft from a corrupt base leader who changes their locks. Do this idea though, and yes we'd have some of that. So...harder, not easier. Meanwhile, we get the social benefit Beer described, which leads to more base-side member interaction. Game grows, more people stick around maybe, which means more PKs since most guys murder everyone they meet. Hence, again, harder, not easier.

Napalm

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 07:36:32 am »

CONFIDENCE: Yes there could be abuse by the leader. The thing would be reversed. Currently if you plan on a shared basis, you are vulnerable to all members. But if you are vulnerable only to your leader ... well, I do not think it so bad. But maybe it could be created a system that if I remove a member from my faction, he will be notified with a window when in wm. Warning that he has, 24h / 48h to leave the faction. I think it's not the best idea yet. And as already mentioned, the base would be a second option for your items, or first, depends on their confidence in their leader. I'll tell you how it currently works in UV. Our members 85% have access to a shared basis. There each has a locker. And behind the locker also three wooden boxes to be used: one with drugs/ ammunition, another with armors and another one with helmets. The only weapons in the locker. This is a standard. I am talking about it because its can give people another ideas, maybe, lets see. This favors the exchange equipment before battle or at different times. But I do not let all that I have there. I'll dosing as necessary. Most of my things are in a particular stall. Lie, most of the items are already in the base because I trust a lot in my team haha. Well, it's a matter of good individual sense.

ACCESS :. I wish it were as in AOP, to be faster. So if you are a member you are entitled to a room. But having a base with a row of lockers, something that reminds me of the fallout tactics bases would be really cool. The lockers in base could be an atmosphere more interesting and of community. I think locker with four digits or optical reading would be magnificent. Optical reading would be perfect. And the leader could through a dialog box set access to only one player.

One question: base with many lockers would be a problem? Could have a way to change the colors of the locker. Three options perhaps to differentiate. Some rusty more than others?

But what the amount of lockers? I dont know, 40 for basis? Or the leader could add as needed? We have the problem of players who come for a week and leave. If it were my faction as leader I would warn everyone about it after a week or two down I could remove your locker in this case. Well do not know. It would be nice to have a room the leader himself.

PARKING: I wish it were a defined location. So the players could become more careful not to turn off their character in the car area. Thus avoiding the problems arising. Something like Fallout Tactics would be lovely.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 08:28:19 am »
What threat if one can make lots of private tents instead?

SEGA_RUS

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 09:04:42 am »
What threat if one can make lots of private tents instead?
What if you can take Electronic locker from TLA SDK (locker near Emperror)?

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 09:48:00 am »
Yes this could be used but with modifications.