April 29, 2024, 05:43:54 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: A few questions from a newbie  (Read 4691 times)

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
A few questions from a newbie
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:58:50 pm »
Hello, I've read the manuals and the wiki. And I somewhat tired of googling, so I decided just to ask here. Sorry for that :)

1. Is hunting on the worldmap the fastest way of gathering experience in the beginning?
2. How to exit the location in the real-time fight mod if I'm gonna flee?
3. How, on the other hand, walk through the exit zone (green or brown) without exiting the location? In case if I want to pick something up.
4. How to dismiss everyone following me on the worldmap (preferably a hotkey)?
5. Is the speech skill pointless? What about gambling?
6. If I delete a character, his tent is still there, but it can't be managed, right?
7. Is there a way to transfer the whole stack of anything to the storage or to the trading board?
8. Did you notice that little deathclaws are MUCH-MUCH easier to deal wit than the grown ones?
9. Is there a correlation between toughness of mobs in caves and a value of a reward?
10. What autoclickers do you use? I've tried the "Do It Again". It's too simple. Functionality is poor. is it only for craft and mining? Maybe I'm missing something interesting...
11.  What builds do you use for supports? And what kind of supports do you use?
12. Is there a way to rewrite these: http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Hot_keys

I am really sorry for such trivial questions. I fully understand that I could find the answers in the wiki, but it's hard with these ones...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:08:22 pm by cthulchu »

drot

• I like NCR
    • View Profile
    • Rawhide
Re: A few questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »
1. You could do some beginner quests, but other than that I would say yes.
2. Wait for the end of your combat timeout (if you are attacked it will appear), otherwise just run to the exit.
3. Equip a grenade/molotov in your hand and throw it on yourself with the ~ key, or have someone else attack you.
4. You will have to do it manually one by one.
5. Speech is used for NPC followers, gambling is useless.
6. Yes.
7. Just press the ALL button?
8. Yes.
9. No.
10. AutoHotkey or AutoIt.
11. Well for support I generally use a 10 ST crafter/miner.
12. In-game no, but you could use AutoHotkey for that.
#rawhide on ForestNet

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:33:40 pm »
1. You could do some beginner quests, but other than that I would say yes.
2. Wait for the end of your combat timeout (if you are attacked it will appear), otherwise just run to the exit.
3. Equip a grenade/molotov in your hand and throw it on yourself with the ~ key, or have someone else attack you.
4. You will have to do it manually one by one.
5. Speech is used for NPC followers, gambling is useless.
6. Yes.
7. Just press the ALL button?
8. Yes.
9. No.
10. AutoHotkey or AutoIt.
11. Well for support I generally use a 10 ST crafter/miner.
12. In-game no, but you could use AutoHotkey for that.
wow! thanks!

1. Can that two autoclickers (AutoHotkey and AutoIt) record actions? It's hard to find out the coordinates of the cursor.

2. Does Barter work properly?

3. Will I still get skillpoints after 50 lvl?

4. There is a big temptation to kill town guards that you encounter outside a town. What are the ramifications? Are there any at all?

5. Is it possible to get installed furniture back in my inventory? I suppose, no...

6. Is there a way to avoid other players? They just appear and strip me all the time. I still can levelup, but It's incredibly easy to loose everything you have in the inventory just because... Well, I don't know why they do this, since my gear is trivial for them. Anyway, is there a way do reduce the amount of PKs entering my battle?

PS

some additional questions have just popped up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:23:42 pm by cthulchu »

Strike

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:01:47 am »
wow! thanks!

1. Can that two autoclickers (AutoHotkey and AutoIt) record actions? It's hard to find out the coordinates of the cursor.

4. There is a big temptation to kill town guards that you encounter outside a town. What are the ramifications? Are there any at all?

5. Is it possible to get installed furniture back in my inventory? I suppose, no...

6. Is there a way to avoid other players? They just appear and strip me all the time. I still can levelup, but It's incredibly easy to loose everything you have in the inventory just because... Well, I don't know why they do this, since my gear is trivial for them. Anyway, is there a way do reduce the amount of PKs entering my battle?

PS

1. No idea.

2. http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Barter -> "Your reputation does matter on prices, high reputation makes your prices better."

3. You will.

4. If you kill guards (NCR rangers, VC Patrol, Junktown Scouts..) you will get bad reputation with that town, if you continue kill them enough.

5. No idea.

6. Go somewhere far away, and before going encounters you will see if there is other players around.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:31:45 am by Strike »

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand ManiacsĀ®
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:51:54 am »
1. Crafting is to start out. And killing ants.
2. Get to the exit grid without being in combat yourself (shot).
3. TRADE SECRET. :p
4. Left click their name, select the button with the arrow.
5. Effectively speaking, yes and yes.
6. No.
7. A whole stack of one stacking item yes.
8. Duh.
9. Not precisely, no.
10. Cheater cheater pumpkin eater.
11. Just my miner and who're alts (KMart and Mika, respective).
12. Not my department.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:28:57 am »
1. Is hunting on the worldmap the fastest way of gathering experience in the beginning?
Hunting floaters and centaurs in 'versus encounters' with some aliens and deathclaws in the desert east of San Fran has long been a fan favorite way to level. But you need a supply tent there with some rad meds, spare gear and stims. Don't bother hunting anything utill your gun skill is over 100 or you'll suffer many weapon malfunctions. Crafting is also popular since you get ammo rather than use ammo. At level 1 i shovel poo to level 2 because it's so easy and doesn't require any ammo. At level 2, i still like to repeat the quests to level 4 since they are easy too. By then i have gun skill over 100 and my first perk. Weaker characters can level hunting molerats.

2. How to exit the location in the real-time fight mod if I'm gonna flee?
You have to learn how to flee in a big circle so you're in the exit grid at the right time. Takes practice.

3. drot got this one.

4. How to dismiss everyone following me on the worldmap (preferably a hotkey)?
Easy/fast way is to use reverse-psychology: leave that party by using the right drop-menu option.

5. Is the speech skill pointless? What about gambling?
Speech is on wiki. It is a factor related to Party Points, which are important if you want to get, for example, 2 or 3 Human Companion NPC followers. Higher Speech also lowers the Town Control timer.

6. If I delete a character, his tent is still there, but it can't be managed, right?
I believe all of that characters tents disappear. I could be wrong - i never tested this. To test it, register a test character, build a tent, use 3 wood on the fire pit to get a Campfire, rename the tent, and create a map to it. Then read that map on another character and go there. Now delete the tent character and switch to the other character. Is it still there? You tell me.

7. Is there a way to transfer the whole stack of anything to the storage or to the trading board?
Not exactly. What people do is leave all raw materials in a pile on the floor at the workbench. Then when you want to craft, go to that magic hex and use Control+G to pick it all up. You'll be far far overweight but you then use the workbench and drop it all again when done. It's then easy to pick up only ammo from the pile (if that's what you made).

8. Ignoring this question on basic principle: i have noticed many things, too many to list.

9. Already answered: nope.

10. I am not qualified to answer this. I play hardcore highest difficulty, full-blast carpal-tunnel, wrist tumors enabled and eye-strain on max.

11.  What builds do you use for supports? And what kind of supports do you use?
My miner is my most quintessential support character. Planned to fight and beat any single PK attacking me in the mines, and even beat two PKs if they are too casual about it. Heavy Handed, Bonehead, ST 7, PE 1, EN 10 and Agility 10 plus Pyscho, Buffout, Nuka Cola and beer. Tag Close Combat and plan to bring a Mega Power Fist in slot 2 with your hammer in slot 1. Switch and rush enemy when attacked. You'll knock them down and most will wish they chose another miner. Meanwhile he will mine with 13 Action Points once he gets both Action Boy perks and uses some leather armor with +1 AP. He works fast. Tag Outdoorsman and get it to 150 for the fast-travel perks. First Aid or whatever you want for last tag.

12. Is there a way to rewrite these: http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Hot_keys
Why? Please clarify.

See number 10 above.

Define properly. Not everything here works just like Fallout 2 if that's what you're asking. High Barter does give you a longer trade window timer and a slight reduction to trade costs.

The fact that we have no limit to Level and Skill Points is one reason most of us use lower Intelligence now. Low IN means a few more SPECIAL points for something else.

Lowered reputation in that town. Guards there might get to a point where they shoot you on sight, but i never tested this.

Yes, if you mean the craftable containers like lockers and chests. Using Science and Repair (i forget which is which) will rotate them and move them to inventory but they must be empty to do either, i think.

Well...i always do a quick check on player count right before i log in. If it's a lot, then i avoid hunting near Hub and i am more careful about going into the northern towns. Read about Town Control yet? Avoid staying in encounters for long. Get your OD skill up to 150 and get the fast-travel perks to avoid so many forced encounters. But hey it's an MMO so player collisions are part of the basic function. How to avoid jackasses is a better question and so far there is no Jackass Detector Pip-Boy Plugin so get tough, get more practice and find a team to role with to learn more and learn fast. (A JAD would be pointless anyway since it would be going off so often ;)

drot

• I like NCR
    • View Profile
    • Rawhide
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:03:56 am »
wow! thanks!

PS

• Yes, both have a tool where you can view mouse coordinates.
  • Yes.
  • Yes.
  • No ramifications until you're vilified (-1200 reputation in that city) then they shoot you immediately upon entry. Can be bypassed if you enter sneaked (of course with having sufficient sneak skill).
  • Use science on it.
  • Run silent, run deep.
#rawhide on ForestNet

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 02:51:03 pm »
Thank you for your answers, guys, you're really helping.

Henry, could you please show the screenshot of your miner's characteristics? I love melee :).
I was going to make something like this: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=KmtpypLi but I was told that melee sucks... Although, that build lowers the amount of AP by 2...

High intelligence, however, makes the game much more easier in the beginning, but I got your point, - it should be low to be successful in the long term. Thus, it makes sence to make first chars with high int to grow faster, then get some slaves, get money and exp for automated crafting and make a worthy char. Does it make sense for you?

Barter is pointless since you can always get the books to boost the trading time enough. I used to carry all loot to my tent and then sell the loot with one character with good barter skill... maybe I still should stick to this strategy, but because of reputation, not barter...

Some more questions:

1. I've started a character exactly like this: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=jcVDBW11
What do you think of the build? could you think of any improvements?

2. Oh, and how to check the online?

3. Oh, yes, one more thing: how to fix the bug with the right-click on the map? I relogin to deal with it...

4. And is it OK that the map doesn't move manually? it's always centered. I'm talking about the worldmap.

5. Are there some equivalent for clans or alliances of players? It would be interesting to play with other players... perhaps.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:50:56 pm by cthulchu »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 04:17:36 pm »
I don't know what right-click map bug you mean.

This is the FOnline server check link i use.

Back in 2238, i would level a guy just for high Barter skill. With books in Reloaded, i now consider that a waste of time.

I use 2 miners. One is for LQ mining like at Junktown with less PK trouble. He uses Jet so he works faster with 15 AP but has less DR. The other one does not use Jet, so he has higher DR to win fights in HQ mines that are not guarded. He works with 13 AP so he's a little slower but that's still faster than most miners.

So i tagged BG on the first miner to level faster. I tagged Doctor on the other one which i now consider a mistake. Doctor skill works fine usually with only 100 so why tag it? Tag OD instead so you get smoother travels on the map which counts a lot when you're hauling materials especially with a mining animal holding 1000 of each.

Never take Bruiser. This game is all about actions, how many you can execute in the fastest time possible. Having high Action Points is so important that guys will use Jet in PvP even though it makes them easier to hurt. So here's Bruiser with the tempting +4 to ST but ouch! No way man. -2 to AP is horrible. You'll agree with this more once you work with 15 AP. You'll be spoiled on fast actions.

I consider Even Tougher a default mandatory perk for any tanky character, miner or BG.

I now tag OD on almost every character i use and plan to get OD to 150 for those fast travel perks. Even a PvP TC fighter benefits from this because when you fail, you need to get back to the fight asap and low OD sucks for that.

In my opinion, this sniper build's ST is way too high and his EN is way too low. My snipers all have ST 1. They use weapons that require ST 5 or more, so i compensate with higher gun skill. So that means more leveling. Higher levels allows you to move some ST points over to Endurance.

Weapon Handling is out. It used to be an important perk but is no longer used much since higher levels means more Skill Points means higher gun skill means more accuracy. This is all a big math equation and low ST can be balanced with higher gun skill. Use the Calculator in Opera's planner to see the outcomes.

Note: Gun Skill 300 means you don't do any deterioration to guns! So when you do craft a unique laser rifle or whatever, you can shoot it all day long and it's stays 100%.

I'm not sure why a sniper would have More Ranged Damage. That's more of a burster's perk.

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:38 pm »
I put a slave that I previously bought in NCR in a public guarded mine near Hub. And the slave is always busy. He stands on a constant spot and I can't interact with him. What should I do? Is there a worthy manual about slavery? I read the articles on wiki, but it doesn't seem to be enough...

Ok, I'll make a new topic.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:01:58 pm by cthulchu »