April 20, 2024, 07:13:55 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: How to entice new players!  (Read 2806 times)

Maxim Moskvin

How to entice new players!
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:29:37 pm »
I have discovered a fool-proof way to encourage new players to stay around with this game. I always see people on the forums complaining that there isn't any new blood and that more players means more targets or whatever, and after hanging around on the forums for a while and playing the game since just after christmas I have come up with an amazing strategy to get new players to hang around and keep playing:

STOP.
BEING.
DICKS.

Before anyone starts this isn't a butthurt user raging at stuff that's happened in game. I've only been killed by a player character once on my current character(only 3 months old but still) and have had pretty good relations with other users on the forum, but I've lurked in other forums and thread, and using stealth have watched many player character interactions between other people.

It's a game.
It's one game in millions.
It can and will have no impact on your real life what-so-ever.

So stop acting as if being good / having the best gear makes you some sort of bad-ass. Honestly, it's embarrassing. Watching people argue on here about who's the best at pvp or how many people it took to kill one man or what-the-fuck-ever is like watching a group of kids on call of duty swearing at eachother about their kill/death ratios. It doesn't matter in the slightest.

I just wanted to get this off my chest. If you understood that you're not an ultra hardcore wasteland warrior and just a guy behind a PC screen and stopped trying to show off the size of your fallout online penis people would hang around more.

One final thing, no I am not leaving the forums or the game. I LOVE this game. Just getting sick of all this internet ego bullshit that's all over the place.

Barneys

• View Profile
Re: How to entice new players!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:33:30 pm »
Well its a game where people get killed by other people, so of course you're gonna have drama...

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »
Well its a game where people get killed by other people, so of course you're gonna have drama...
I totally understand that. I've gotten angry at others over video games before, but the thing is, I was about 13. I'm now 23 and when I see people do it who are old enough to drink it just makes me cringe and lose faith in the community, to be honest.
I just don't understand why it seems so important to some people. If you want a grudge with someone? Fine. Hate a certain player? again totally fine.
Acting like you're the god-king of everything just because you're good at a computer game, treating everyone but your in-game friends like shit? That's where it gets sad.

Strike

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:03:58 pm »
Players who like to help, and players who like to kill others. Population is like that now.

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:10:43 pm »
Players who like to help, and players who like to kill others. Population is like that now.
I know. I'm not saying people should just stop shooting eachother and it Fallout Online should be a great big happy huggy fun land where everyone helps eachother all the time or anything like that.
I'm saying people need to stop being such egotistical dicks about killing other players. People get angry because someone who kills them slags them off, then they leave. Only a few new players shrug it off and end up staying.

I actually like the fact that this game is dangerous and one wrong move can mean it all goes to shit for you. Too many games are easy.

I know it seems a bit stupid to vent about it here and I'm probably gonna let this die now, I just wanted to get it off my chest after all, but if people just got on with it and took the game less seriously then removed their heads from their asses and had a laugh with it, people would stay.

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 02:18:00 am »
I'm extremely skeptical that forum PvP has anything to do with turning new players away from the game.  Legitimately new players have zero reason to participate in the shit slinging, even if they are aware of it - as far as the forum goes.  It drives me nuts as well, and I'm still here.  Luckily it's easy to tune out, you simply don't click on the threads.

It's been said for years that new players being PK'd makes them rage quit, and while this might be true to some extent, I also doubt it has much to do with the low player base (if anything).  Games like DayZ and Rust have far more players than FOnline could ever hope for, and they're even harsher than FOnline (in my opinion).

Every person I've shown this game to, all checked their cupboards for some fucks to give, and found none.  I haven't found anyone willing to check that cupboard twice, either.  If the graphics were better, if it was FPS, if it wasn't isometric, and didn't look like the 1990's threw up on their 1080p flatscreen monitor more people would probably take interest in the first place, much less stick around longer than a few days or hours.

For my closing argument, I'll also add that over the years I've used my "good guy" alts to try and help genuinely new players get the handle of the game.  From mechanics, to crafting, to farming, how to get caps, a tent, weapons - you name it.  Most of them I had add me on Skype so they could ask me any questions if I was online.  Maybe they quit because I'm not Santa Claus and didn't give them a ton of free shit, instead showing them how to provide for themselves.  It's more likely they just decided they didn't like the game, because they all quit within a day or two at most. 

So I don't waste my time with them anymore, my personal experience has shown me that it is of no benefit to the game at all.  Inciting rage threads on the forum, well that I've accomplished more than once.  I'll stick with shooting motherfuckers in the eyes, thank you.

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:55:44 am »
I know. Like I said, just wanted to get it off my chest. Gonna let this die now so I won't be replying to this if anything else gets posted.

Ronin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 05:54:19 am »
Game is chalenging and hc so is quite simple, either u like those kind of games or u're fag.

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 09:30:53 am »
Game is chalenging and hc so is quite simple, either u like those kind of games or u're fag.

Ok simple and short version:
Never said I hate FOReloaded. Never said I hate pvp games. Said I loved FOReloaded. Hate the ego bullshit.

Kirkor

• Supporter
  • Bang Bang Smash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 10:13:45 am »

Well, usualy I like to kill noobs.
But sometimes, when I'm in a good mood I help them out a little bit. Then I kill them.

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:28:40 am »
Ok this is the last time I am going to say this or post in this thread before I let it die.
I have no problem with people killing whoever they want. That's totally fine.
My point is, when you kill someone, don't be a massive cock about it and act like you just did something amazing or that you're somehow this super awesome badass that no one will fuck with because, while you may be geared up to the eyeballs, when you log off, that all ends. IT'S JUST A GAME.

When I first started playing, like everyone, I had nothing. After a few hours I found some chests in city areas and had combat armour mkII, a few P90s, 3 fuel cell controllers and a load of other crap, useful crap, but crap, at level 5.

I then got shot by a guy with power armour and a gatling laser and killed instantly. We both made a joke about it and had a laugh. He didn't start with all this "hur hur u nub i rek u u noob u suck" shit that I see way too often.

That's what I'm getting at. Stop being cocks when you kill people and more people would stay. Not gonna post again in here, just wanted to vent a little.

Kaaon

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 12:27:27 pm »
its part of this game
if you shouldnt shoot other players then pvp would be disabled, its enabled for some reason