April 29, 2024, 04:13:29 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Difficulty of mobs seems off  (Read 1686 times)

Drowz0r

• View Profile
Difficulty of mobs seems off
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:26:20 pm »
Hello all

Is it just me or do the mobs you encounter often not reflect how difficult they should actually be? I can find a rough traveller with nothing more than a knife can take several rounds of bullets, as can a tiny mutant rat but raiders will on occasion drop really easily.

It seems a regular occurrence that mobs I should be able to drop easily, completely wipe me out while a high-loot mob will drop in just a few hits.

I know in Fallout 1 and 2, if you saw a dude in good armour with a gun, you didn't start a fight... while you could easily beat the bejesus out of some random traveller you happened upon.

Jus' Sayin'
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 4 GiB | Hard Disk: 500GiB(L) & 320GiB(W) | Power Unit: 750 W
Graphics: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1024 | Display: 4:3 (5:4 res) 19" Dual Screens

Beta HQ

• è4ô4→£↑<c
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty of mobs seems off
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:33:10 pm »
Amen. The health/diffuculty of some mobs don't reflect their names.

I.E. Slags.
350-500 HP
100-500 damage

Old Fallout it would have been
60-90 HP
5-16   Damage

Of course everything is buffed up except the players in Fonline, makes farming a challenge in some places and adds a lil flavor if you ask me.

Gregor

• Scourge and Purge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »
It adds realism to some encounters. Like the powder gangers. It makes sense to be literally blown to pieces when 5+ of them are all flinging explosives at you, but I do agree, a lot of NPCs are unbalanced.

I suppose it's to stop everyone just farming all the damn time, but all the groups have all the best gear and just hoard it away anyway so.. eh.
CLANG
"WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?"

Beta HQ

• è4ô4→£↑<c
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:35:34 pm »
The Powder Gang needs to have M79's, Grenade Pistols, and actually use the Dynacord sticks they HAVE.

Play New Vegas they're a bunch of wanna be raiders, they shouldn't be "tough" they ain't an issue for the NCR Army for example.

Difficulty is subjective, however, Things like the Mad Dogs aren't rewarding enough if deathclaws, Centuars, aliens, and other wasteland critters are easier and give more EXP.

Dustin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:12:05 pm »
In comparison to FO1 or FO2,  yes, ridiculously challenging.  By level 12 or often far sooner, a good three-quarters of the wasteland was like shooting fish in a barrel.  The combat shotgun and guns of similar equivalence were more  than enough to confidently walk in most areas with skimpy armor pretty confidently.  Fallout 1, for instance, has you tackle an entire base of Raiders alone basically straight out the vault.  Granted, you can easily find a non-violent approach, but if you so chose it was quite easy to drop the sentry and use his armor and a lowly side-arm of your choice to overrun the whole base.   

It's somewhat more enjoyable, though.  Can be somewhat shell shocking early on before you establish your economy well enough that replication's just a nuisance at best.  It does the wonderful thing of making the lesser creatures (Geckos, Brahmin, Ants, Manti, Molerats, Dogs, etc.) worth the ammunition and, thus,  a more valuable and welcome encounter.  I've invested quite some time now and still I'm barely able to hang with some of the middle region crowd of enemies.  Awareness is infinitely more helpful in direct result.  Knowing exactly what's on an NPC is invaluable.  Telling the difference between four enemies with 9mm Mausers and four with .223 pistols very well makes the difference between life or death. 

The long-term investment's really to try to take them one-on-one.  If you can handle one, maybe you can handle two.  If one pops a shot on you for double digits of damage and there's two others behind them, "don't be a hero."  It makes you respect the system of encounters.  "You encounter:" becomes one of the main attractions loading up a new encounter because in some cases if you fail to run fast enough you're toast.  No save equals no reload, so it makes your decisions more profound in every aspect. 

To summarize, I guess I'm really just saying that it keeps things from getting stale.  Maybe a small nerf could be made to them, but I wouldn't mess with it too much.  The difficulty adds to the realism as suggested above so if it were to be adjusted it'd have to be in very small doses.  The only thing you could really do, though, would be to cut HP values.  I really doubt there's a way to affect the NPCs weapons without messing with the players as well.  Where they are now, it takes about me about 3 criticals to bring down an 150hp critter.   In a few good turns, easy enough, but as many as 6-8 shots otherwise without missing.  One on one with a superior weapon and near equal hp you should win, but if your target has any friendlys in the area you'll be long gone before you can get off half that many shots.  A shoot and run tactic with enough space can extend the amount of shots before you either have to run or take fire, but it's still a longshot from being a powerhouse hero-esque character usually blessed to the genre.  Stand up to the normal baddie like a hero?  Ha, enjoy having your tail kicked by the run of the mill.  Strength in numbers, perhaps? 

It's probably a lot less deadly with a couple friends backing you.  Add two more PCs to the above comparisons and in every one the situation goes from potentially dire to, I presume, more of a cakewalk.  I'm sure the majority of testing (and thus, reasoning for the increase) was in such situations with multiple people attempting to accomplish the same thing.  :)

Kaaon

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »
encounters are easy ? maybe some geckos, raiders etc.. but try to complete some new caravan encounters or farm desert hunters or enclave..

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:46:41 pm »
It's a hell of a lot tougher if you solo it. I think some of the encounters need a balance, but, obviously, all challenge shouldn't be removed. There'd be no point.

Totally agree on the point of it being more challenging than Fallout 1 and 2. I mean, we're all supposed to be just people out in the wasteland, not the one and only dedicated to saving everything. If you tried to take on 6 guys while wearing nothing but sheets of hammered metal using a pistol, you'd probably get shredded in real life.

It could do with some tweaking, but doesn't need to be made easy.