April 29, 2024, 04:10:25 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: New Player Guide (WIP)  (Read 3386 times)

ApocaRUFF

• View Profile
New Player Guide (WIP)
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:38 am »
This is the Work In Progress Player Guide that I've been making since I started playing Fallout Online. I started playing with the opening of the FO:R server and I had never played Fallout 1 or 2, or any of the Fallout Online variations before this. Because of this, there was a lot I did not know at all concerning the game. Unfortunately, besides a helpful post on the wiki, there wasn't many resources that told a newbie what he should know about the game. So, I decided to begin writing this guide as I learned about the game.

It is far from complete, I know. So, if you would like to help out with the guide, please post whatever helpful information you have here. Also, please include images to help people understand what you're talking about. I've still got a lot of images I need to insert into the current guide, as you may notice. But I'm working on getting it done. Thank you in advance if you decide to contribute!

Here is a link to the guide! It is hosted on my guilds forums. On a side note, if you would like to join the Amitabha gaming community, feel free to register :) We're just a group of guys and gals who enjoy playing various games together.

OdijSuppi

• View Profile
Re: New Player Guide (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:23:26 am »
It looks promising. But please replace the direct link to the Pure Evil Interface in your guide, it's outdated.
The current one is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qfe623vby3388ax/Pure_Evil_Interface_v15.zip
"But no matter how far a jackass may travel, it will never return as a horse."

Xenonus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:56:59 am »
Yeah, pretty nice.
Keep up the good work and do what Gacut suggest.
When you're finished, give me a sign and we will spread it on the Facebook page.
And stay dead!

ApocaRUFF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:17:02 am »
You can also Pm Killgore and ask him about editing Fonline:Reloaded wiki.

I'll PM Kilgore. I thought I had earlier, but I'm not sure if it actually got sent or not.

Yeah, pretty nice.
Keep up the good work and do what Gacut suggest.
When you're finished, give me a sign and we will spread it on the Facebook page.

Sounds good. Not sure if it'll ever be "done" but I will probably refine it a bit and add in some last bits of important information.

It looks promising. But please replace the direct link to the Pure Evil Interface in your guide, it's outdated.
The current one is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qfe623vby3388ax/Pure_Evil_Interface_v15.zip

I'll be sure to fix the link in the next day or two when I start refining/editing the guide a bit.

If anything you guys see in the guide isn't accurate, or should be changed, feel free to let me know.

OdijSuppi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:11:28 pm »
A minor thing I noticed, in the Radio section you say: "There are up to 9999 channels to choose from".
There are 65.536. You can type higher numbers but it will just subtract 65.536 from the number you enter.

paco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 03:34:16 pm »
You forgot to say that the game uses 2 keyboard layouts independently of OS settings.
If you want to write latin characters, start the game in English.
If you want to write cyrillic characters, press Ctrl+Shift during the game.
To switch back to latin, Ctrl+Shift again.
This can be used to talk to russian speakers and have a character name in cyrillic chars.
A minor thing I noticed, in the Radio section you say: "There are up to 9999 channels to choose from".
There are 65.536. You can type higher numbers but it will just subtract 65.536 from the number you enter.
Are you sure? If so is there a channel 0? It just seems odd from a memory allocator's point of view. To store 65537 unique values (from 0 to 65536) you need to allocate 4 bytes per each radio on the server. With 65536 unique values (from 0 to 65535) you just need 2 bytes per radio. This has an effect on the server's (and client's) memory footprint.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:38:18 pm by paco »
<wimp> crucify apaco and paco for telling you how to use a computer and get on irc
Quote from: Carl von Clausewitz
War is such a dangerous business that mistakes that come from kindness are the very worst.

OdijSuppi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 03:54:05 pm »
Yes it's from 0 to 65535, so there are 65.536 radio channels total. ^^