April 28, 2024, 11:24:26 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Stealing in Towns  (Read 7558 times)

Raiden

• Clear Skies
    • View Profile
Stealing in Towns
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:31:29 am »
So I have a severe problem with the fact that people can lolrun around with high stealing/sneak, and force you to leave town or give in to their thieving, disgusting methods. It's entirely unfair that, if a guard sees someone stealing from you, in a town such as The Hub, that if it is a successful thievery, that it is then IGNORED even if the guard WITNESSES the stealing, even making a statement about it. This is absolutely unfair and ludicrous, especially when PvP is entirely disabled, yet stealing is permitted. The system is unfair and needs to be disabled if PvP is as well disabled in these towns. Had I been given the opportunity, I would've bursted the asshole in the face when he constantly followed me around The Hub and refused to bugger off. However I was not even given the option to retaliate. In that right, I feel the "LOL NO PVP BUT STEALING IS A-OK" enforced, scripted rule, is entirely unfair if the guards will not stop stealing when it's right in front of them, and they even recognize it.

It makes absolutely no sense that one may steal yet another cannot retaliate. Either add a system to permit thieves to be PVP-able, or disable stealing in towns where PvP is disabled, otherwise I feel it is entirely unfair that there is no retaliation method to this griefing and behavior often attributed to the assholes of the wastes.

I either want the option to blow their fucking brains out, or neither of us be able to harm one another in any way.

I don't care if you think it's "only realistic", this is not realism simulator 2014, this is fucking Fallout Online. If you want realism, let me blast his brains all over the pavement, because that's what I'd do to the rat bastards. And no guard would care about a thief dying, especially if they watched him steal.

In all fairness, either allow us to retaliate to the griefing sons of bitches with lead, or make them incapable of griefing players where there is no possible consequence for their actions.

Take your pick, but the current system is entirely unrealistic, unfair, and unbalanced. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Making one player subject to another's griefing with 0 to little repercussions on the griefer isn't okay.

Either turn on PvP with no guard consequences for characters who attempt to steal from others, or make them incapable of stealing from other players in the town. One way or the other is the only balanced, fair response to the unfair limitations placed on players who wish to do business with traders, yet can be actively stolen from and griefed by other players with high enough sneak/steal.

RubberCurtain

• Hit 'im with the bat!
    • View Profile
Re: Stealing in Towns
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:51:23 am »
At least let the person blow the thief's brains out if the guards don't have the cojones to deal with the scoundrel. It's a common thing to allow a victim to retaliate if someone stole something from the victim/attacked the victim.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:04:46 am by RubberCurtain »

Charlie

• TS3 Public Server Admin
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:02:42 am »
Hub only had pvp turned off last update and it was the only town affected
so just give it some time for the next update or don't hang out in hub, but I do agree that it's unfair

Wormsign

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:43:13 am »
I don't care if you think it's "only realistic", this is not realism simulator 2014, this is fucking Fallout Online. If you want realism, let me blast his brains all over the pavement, because that's what I'd do to the rat bastards. And no guard would care about a thief dying, especially if they watched him steal.

+1 to the above portion of your post.

As the leader of the Thieves Guild, and a voice of my fellow miscreants, turning off the ability to Steal in any town is a bad move. I preferred the ability to gun down the shit talkers, and be gunned down by the heroes. I understand that the Hub is supposed to be more of a starter town more than anything else. That's all well and good but the truth is plenty of people who aren't newbs spend time there too. Since it was turned into a NoPvP zone I have noticed more people coming there. If Stealing gets disabled in Hub, even more people will flock there. NCR and other towns will become even more deserted than they already often are. If Stealing gets disabled in all places many people will be upset and quit the game. I know a lot of you don't give a fuck if the scumbags pack up and leave and that's sad. Does anybody really want to play Carebears online? If you want a safe place to stand around chatting, without worry of thieves, go elsewhere.

I still get the message that the guards are no longer protecting me. Prior to the NoPvP update this allowed players (if they know how to tell) to shoot at the thief. However, I don't know how it works now with the new rules. Another point Raiden makes that I have to agree with is, the guards doing nothing even when they notice the theft. Instead they say, Hey it looks like Wormsign is interested in your stuff. Maybe they say that as an alert that the thief is no longer protected, and the player has the right to attack the thief, I'm not sure. Either way though, the guards still noticed. If the player is the only one who notices the theft however, they should not be allowed to retaliate.

As a thief I cringe a little at what I'm about to add here... Those jail cells are often empty. It is only when an Admin is in town and watching that scum gets locked behind bars. The problem with this is simple. Admins have better things to do than hang around all day in this or that town keeping an eye on things. Just because Sheriff is there doesn't mean stealing is impossible either. The amount of time spent in jail ranges from a few minutes to a few hours, depending on the mood and availability of the admins. Perhaps a mechanic that puts a player in the town jail for X amount of time or until someone breaks them out, is something to consider.

Don't remove theft from any towns. Remove the NoPvP zone from Hub. There are better ways to balance this that won't give or take too much from either side (scum/non scum)! In regards to the safety of newbs. It is well known that my faction helps plenty of newbs. I'm not saying bad things don't sometimes happen to them, but it should be made clear there is no newb abuse going on in the Thieves Guild. Making the Hub a safezone because it's a starter town (if that was the reason) doesn't make sense when you think about it. It isn't like they stay in the Hub and never venture elsewhere. Those are my thoughts on this topic.

From the head of the Thieves Guild itself! Some tips to avoid thieves:
A) Keep your valuables in your hands!
B) Don't come to town with a full inventory (Don't come with what you're not willing to risk losing).
C) Use the Esc key to quickly close windows if you think someone may be looking in your pockets.
D) Try working something out with the thief to avoid unwanted confrontation.
E) Don't shit talk and give the thief further incentive to haunt your steps. Sometimes your tears are the fuel that keeps us going.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:51:08 am »
too long, didn't read, LOL!
my god, is this all you guys gonna do? stay in hub and steal from noobs unaware of what's going on?

Wormsign

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:56:02 am »
Stalker said something. Automatically didn't give a shit. Just thankful a stupid homemade meme wasn't attached.

Raiden

• Clear Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 03:13:48 am »
Stalker said something. Automatically didn't give a shit. Just thankful a stupid homemade meme wasn't attached.

This is greatly amusing. Regardless, Wormsign, I appreciate your input. I would much rather it be that if a guard notices that someone stole/is stealing/is trying to steal from you, that you are then open to PvP them with no guard retaliation. It's frustrating to be told "They can take from you, and you are defenseless." unless someone (admins) are on to stop it, which I've honestly never seen personally.

As a side note, if the thief were to fight back against the person they stole from, I imagine the guards would then execute him on sight. This, of course, to avoid people abusing this to kill a player with un-stealable valuables, such as high end armors.

It needs to be a no-grief system. Either they do it without you noticing, and get away with it, or you notice, and blast their brains across the pavement. Any thief worth his salt should know how to steal without getting noticed if he actually wants to make it anywhere anyway. That's the only kind of thief I'd say is fair. The ones who spam "steal steal steal steal steal steal steal steal steal" for 5 minutes on you until you either leave or try to get a guard to blast them (doesn't work in hub!). It's almost the same as a shitty troll. Everyone knows what they're trying to do, and usually they get kicked out/beaten/shot, but not in the hub, no sir.

Point is, this needs to be changed to allow a player to retaliate. Either guards need to execute the thief and the owner should be able to reclaim what was lost, or the player himself should be allowed to burst the troll-grade thief's balls off.

nick99321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 04:25:02 am »
Argument is invalid unless read like this....

So I gots a severe problem wit tha fact dat playas can lolrun round wit high jackin/sneak, n' force you ta leave hood or give up in ta they thieving, disgustin methods. It aint nuthin but entirely unfair that, if a guard sees one of mah thugs jackin from you, up in a hood like fuckin Da Hub, dat if it aint nuthin but a successful thievery, dat it is then IGNORED even if tha guard WITNESSES tha jackin, even bustin a statement bout dat shit. This is straight-up unfair n' ludicrous, especially when PvP is entirely disabled, yet jackin is permitted. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! This type'a shiznit happens all tha time. Da system is unfair n' need ta be disabled if PvP be as well disabled up in these towns yo. Had I been given tha opportunity, I would've bursted tha asshole up in tha grill when his schmoooove ass constantly followed mah crazy ass round Da Hub n' refused ta bugger off yo. However I was not even given tha option ta retaliate. In dat right, I feel tha "LOL NO PVP BUT STEALING IS A-OK" enforced, scripted rule, is entirely unfair if tha guardz aint gonna stop jackin when itz right up in front of them, n' they even recognize dat shit.

It make straight-up no sense dat one may loot yet another cannot retaliate. Either add a system ta permit gangbangas ta be PVP-able, or disable jackin up in towns where PvP is disabled, otherwise I feel it is entirely unfair dat there is no retaliation method ta dis griefin n' behavior often attributed ta tha assholez of tha wastes.

I either want tha option ta blow they fuckin domes out, or neither of our asses be able ta harm one another up in any way.

I couldn't give a fuckin shiznit if you be thinkin itz "only realistic", dis aint realizzle simulator 2014, dis is fuckin Fallout Online. If you want realism, let me blast his domes all over tha pavement, cuz thatz what tha fuck I'd do ta tha rat bastardz fo' realz. And no guard would care on some thief dying, especially if they peeped his ass steal.

In all fairness, either allow our asses ta retaliate ta tha griefin lil playaz of biiiatches wit lead, or make dem incapable of griefin playas where there is no possible consequence fo' they actions.

Take yo' pick yo, but tha current system is entirely unrealistic, unfair, n' unbalanced. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! Thatz not a opinion, thatz a gangbangin' fact. Makin one playa subject ta anotherz griefin wit 0 ta lil repercussions on tha griefer aint aiiight.

Either turn on PvP wit no guard consequences fo' charactas whoz ass attempt ta loot from others, or make dem incapable of jackin from other playas up in tha town. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. One way or tha other is tha only balanced, fair response ta tha unfair limitations placed on playas whoz ass wish ta do bidnizz wit traders, yet can be actively jacked from n' griefed by other playas wit high enough sneak/steal.

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 11:42:09 am »
I'm also for allowing PvP in the Hub again.

And I still think the reputation reset should be removed.
That way you could blast any thief or PKer if they don't actively keep their rep up.

The jail idea isn't bad either. 10 minutes timeout should be fine.

However, I also think that people whine too much. Just pay more attention.

Furior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:59:01 am »
Thieves are part of the game, in unprotected cities you have to deal with PKs, in protected cities, there are thieves... Its ok imo.

Strike

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 12:35:12 pm »
Jail for thieves, I totally like this idea.

Raiden

• Clear Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 01:04:42 am »
I'm also for allowing PvP in the Hub again.

And I still think the reputation reset should be removed.
That way you could blast any thief or PKer if they don't actively keep their rep up.

The jail idea isn't bad either. 10 minutes timeout should be fine.

However, I also think that people whine too much. Just pay more attention.

My problem is that I cannot do business with an NPC in The Hub at times due to these people, which limits things because they're allowed to steal, yet I can not retaliate in any form.

In a PvP town, there is always the threat of other, stronger people beating you. They don't have to be just like you to beat you, but they can still use what they prefer, skill-wise, to defeat you/others. This is a fair "I'm stronger/more tactical/higher leveled/smarter/faster/etc" situation between players where it allows retaliation (even if failed) from the victim of the attack. All of the recently stated is not the case with hub thieves, and there needs to be consequences. Otherwise they can just grief all day and make a killing doing it.

I also propose that "Jail Time" would have to be more severe for being caught. Otherwise, a quick 10 minute piss/coffee/walk break would just be a leisure for these players. Lowering their rep with the town guards would be a solution in my opinion. After a certain amount of times in jail (time increasing after each consecutive attempt noticed by guards), the player would simply become KOS by the guards for an extended duration (a week or so).

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand ManiacsĀ®
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 01:07:26 am »
Thieves are part of the game, in unprotected cities you have to deal with PKs, in protected cities, there are thieves... Its ok imo.
And it's silly on both counts, plus in unprotected towns you still have thieves...
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

artek405

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
yeah lets kill the gameplay and make ONLY SG BG and EW char no others, cause they not fun and totally useless ...  ???
BTW lets place shops in our tents, it will be safier, really .
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:15:58 pm by artek405 »

The Account

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 11:15:12 pm »
I also hate roleplaying in a roleplaying game.
It should be bannable!

>DOWN WITH ROLEPLAYING!<

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."