April 30, 2024, 11:51:19 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Companion usage in combat.  (Read 1847 times)

Sargoth

• View Profile
Companion usage in combat.
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »
Hi guys,
i recently started to use companion in combat and was hoping to get some results, when i sacrificed some skill points and work to get it.. But i was really disappointed.
I have this one:
ST 8
PE 10
EN 10
CH 6
IN 9
AG 10
LK 6
151% Energy Weapons
right now on lvl around 15 i think with around 200HP... I was told by Docan that this is a good companion, and if 10 (not sure about this?) is max stat for companion, i have to agree that this one is good.
The problem is, that he is still pretty lame.. If i give him a laser rifle, he shoots 1 time each round in TB combat (+- 40dmg).. well, thats useless (and have 10 AGI). I tried plasma pistol, cause it requires less AP, thats 2 shots each round for +- 25-35 dmg... useless again. Not to mention that command Attack - High priority has sometimes 1 round delay and companion often shoots someone who you don't want to kill asap.
So, my questions is.. Is there any way, how to have an efficient friend, who can actually help you in combat? I didn't try other weapon specialization companions, maybe others are better than EW, or maybe some tip about what weapons to give them.. Maybe -1AP weapons works for them and so they could shoot more times each round?
A character build which is focusing on companions (mercs dies, that sucks) could be nice, right now player can have up to 3 companions, for some cost of course (trait and 10 charisma needed), but they are pretty weak.. Any suggestion how to make them usefull in combat and not only to carry things, like a respawning brahmin?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions =)

carnack

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Companion usage in combat.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:48:22 pm »
Tell me what else will increase your dmg and survival as a companion ? Do you need some i win button ?

Sargoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:13:02 pm »
My questions was.. is there any way how to make your companion more effective or 1 shot per round with 40 dmg is all you can get from a good and well equipped companion?
They are hard to find, their requirements are highest from all followers (100 PP).. It could be fine to have an equal character build with followers - maybe there is, im just asking.
And if i'll try to answer your questions... Maybe an option to give them perks? Maybe give them more (3/4) shots per round (ofc not with rocket launcher or so, but with pistols / rifles).. Maybe it is possible somehow, i don't know, thats why i made this post.
And no, i don't need "i win button" cause i have one already, its called "burst" and its kinda boring. Have a couple of "friends" who you will help to lvl up, take care of them and so would bring a little bit more role play and fun =)

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:59:22 pm »
Give him a crafted -1AP weapon and +1AP armor.

Sargoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:04:04 pm »
The problem is, that companions use aimed attacks (always), which cost more AP per shot.
Lets show it on my companion:
He has 10 AG, which i suppose is maximum and it gives him 10 AP
The least AP for any weapon shot is 4 AP/shot in basic .. +1AP if he is aiming for bigger body parts (arms, legs), +2AP if he is aiming for smaller body parts (head, eyes)
So, even if i give him weapon -1AP and armor +1AP, he will shoot aimed shots for 4 (aimed for bigger body parts) or 5 (smaller parts) which results in 2 shots per round (cause he has 11 AP with that armor). Unfortunatelly, that helps nothing, i just tried it :-/