Topic: Newbie guide  (Read 37765 times)

DocAN

• Administrator
  • Testing FO: Reloaded
    • View Profile
Newbie guide
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:35 am »
This guide is a copy of MrTrade/Evgoons topic with some updates

It seems that some new players are experiencing some difficulties to log-in and actually start playing. At least have the impression after reading through some forums.

All you have to do is:

1. Click - REGISTRATION.

2. Then click on the rectangle in the top left corner, to set your Nickname and Pass (green arrow on the screenshot).

3. After setting your character's stats, click Done. (you should be back on the main screen after this).

4. Push - PLAY.

5. Notes: Your don't have to choose the same Login as on the forum (if you are registered there).
              Your nickname must be something between 4 - 16 characters (as said by Kilgore).
              You can register more than 1 character in game, but don't worry about this for now.
              Don't forget to note your Login somewhere.

First read Advice_for_beginners carefully
The following is a expension of the above article

This was necessary as there is a increase of new guys with the same questions and the old guides are a bit dated.

here are the things that are missing from this beginners article:
here are the steps you must do (the explenation of some steps are below the steps)

1. A.first download the game Client download
    B. Optional: Download alternate "evil interface" and put it in the data folder of your FOnline game ( it gives a better interface imo because you can see through the barter screen, so thieves have less chance of stealing from you)

2. DO not forget to turn turnbased on with config in your fonline folder (unless you want to die a lot in the beginning) Normally it's set for either realtime or both. NOTE: if you get into someone else encounter or in a town you still have to fight in realtime

3. make sure you have player names turned on so you can see player names ingame [F6 button]

4. Now read the link above if you havent already

5. Create a new character (don't worry you can create as many as you want just don't log 2 alts at the same time)
Tag: small guns, barter and outdoorsman. dont take traits. set luck to 1, perception 6 and agility to 10 the other stats can be more flexibly done Charisma should be either 3 or higher
WRITE down your character name and password somewhere safe if you forget it's  unliky you'll ever see your character again

6. Write down on a reminder on a piece of paper: "If i exit the grid in town, i will check to the left bar under my name if i am followed (or i get killed and looted when i get to my tent"

7. Launch the game and go to the worldmap  and and check if you spawn near NCR if not (vault city for example) i strongly suggest to create another character

8. Loot the table (see picture below!) in the shed if its there where you spawned (hold on to that tool its worth a lot to a beginner EDIT:because you can make a workbench with it at your tent after you created a campfire, a campfire needs a few wood  ) NEXT: Travel to NCR and run from any encounter till you reach NCR.

9. Log out above NCR on worldmap and read up on NCR below!

10. log in after that and go visit buster in the tent next to the guns sign ask him for a job ( if he says go away freak or something like that your charisma is too low) complete the job and you should have your first leather jacket.

11. dont wear it yet and look around the entering point where you came if there are players. Try asking them questions and tell them that your new. (you have around 80 % chance this session you get basic free items/advice) Do not follow them on the exit grid yet unless you want to take a big chance. Ok now you can wear the jacket (saying your new in a leather jacket lowers the chance of getting stuff as you already have something)
Optional: shovel some shit till you level it's described i think in the link at the beginning of the post

12. hide any items you have in a good place when no one is around  and write down where you left it.  Expect it to be found in 2 hours on average

13. Get a tent ASAP:
 4 ways: Buy from player (80 to 100 caps each is common), ask from  player do the miniquest and get it your self 
Miniquest: When you reach level 2 (you could shovel shit in the cow pens in NCR USE SHOVEL! till you reach lev 2) if you go on the World map you’ll notice a small green circle with “unknown location” tag near NCR (not to be mistaken with the NCR mines) go there right away and get the quest from the woman inside the tent. Go to the Worldmap again and travel to the farm (another green circle) pick up the BB gun near the door and fight the rats kill them all and pick up anything you can find. UPDATE WORTHY OF NOTE: get the sledghammer you'll need it to mine here is a picture where it is lying somewhat hiddden:

Go back to the tent and get your reward: a tent! Also pick up a rope and such items. Use the tent near NCR by going inside a encounter (click your green circle) and use the tent.  Remember to always check if you have followers when exiting NCR.
Get it yourself :
You’ll need 4 wood 1 fiber and 8 cow (brahim?) hides:

Wood  :(needs to be turned into 4x sharpend pole, POSSIBLE at a workbench, NCR has one in the center right inside the town)
Hides :Hunt for braminh encounters around NCR on the worldmap and try to trade for hides in NCR (some players may part with them if you have something to trade or they may give free)
1 fiber :(needs to be turned into rope, POSSIBLE at a workbench) You get those by going inside a encounter without enemies preferably and equip your knife and klick on the plant. Get yourself a knife (finish the quest in NCR with the female bartender to get one and some other things, resist the urge to spend the caps she gives you that you need to pay her debt for her)

Ask in forum which grid tiles around NCR have plants sometimes that give fibers ( I may edit this later with pictures of tiles that have plant fibers)
Once you have everything you can simply press F I think to  get the creation screen and create a folded tent item. Use the tent near NCR by going inside a encounter (click your green circle) and use the tent.  Remember to always check if you have followers when exiting NCR.

14. after that simply gain experience, check traders for good items  and idle a bit in NCR (talking to other players and such) and do what you want (perhaps create a alt that is a good fighter? )

15. try to mine some stuff in the reasonably safe mines near NCR you will need a sledgehammer to mine ( search the forum for info on how to effectivly mine HQ ores (not there! try broken hills for HQ but research first on forum) and normal ores (Warning the stickyed mining guide is very very out dated but still a little bit usefull)
EDIT: For levelin i recommend molerats and mantis encounters as soon as you get your hands on a burst gun you can sometimes burst 2 or more at once saving ammo. Use the "fo:2238 encounter finder" (use google to find) to find the location for molerats near NCR

16. there is a lot you can do after that, find out and have fun

Explanation:
Make sure to put some points in to barter skill
if not at least give your character a perception of 6 or you'll miss out on the best perk of the game in my opinion (DRUGS such as sigarettes do not help in this case)
The perk i am talking about is the Awareness perk it gives you info about your enemies health weapons and armor if you hover over them with the mouse. You can get it in NCR there is a bald guy in a bar which gives it for free (only with 6 perception or higher!).
charisma 3 : if lower some of the traders won’t talk to you (and the lower it is the fewer people can follow/ join  you while hunting )
luck 1: since you aren’t a sniper (yet) but a trader you don’t really need high luck. DO expect a “weapon destroyed” event more often due to misfire

About NCR: a quick info injection:
NCR is often busy with players. DO NOT WEAR A WEAPON INSIDE  the center of the city. As soon as you see blue suited cops after going through a gate? They will shoot you dead  5 seconds  or less from their first warning. Beware of thieves( 2 times the steal animation when they are next to you and your probably missing some things) and Bombers  (they have become uncommen most times people just burst you)
There are always thieves, so it pays to be paranoid. I recommend a different  SEE through interface, type in “evil interface” and go to the last page in the topic and select latest version and put the files in data of your game folder.  However your just as likely to get free armor and stuff as soon as you say your new!

Video guide:

Easy Quest and Jobs

How to... screen guide !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:28:01 am by DocAN »

Tomowolf

• "You rules really begin to annoy me..."
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie guide by MrTrader
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13:15 am »
DocAN, I don't think at start there will be players giving out free stuff, this guide is outdated, I don't want to be rude with this, it's just a pure lie, moreover, you'll get raped by people offering you "free hides", and tent costs 100 caps? You meant 500 - 1000.

Rest is ok.
Remember that you can make your first character a trader or slaver, to gain more caps at start, additionally you can start with doing few quests in each of city and get 6 lvl without shooting a bullet.
And one more thing about character, it is pointless to not have fast shot trait while you got 1 lk, you won't score many criticals, even aiming at eyes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:15:12 am by Tomowolf »
In game nick : ****.

DocAN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:37:46 am »
DocAN, I don't think at start there will be players giving out free stuff, this guide is outdated, I don't want to be rude with this, it's just a pure lie, moreover, you'll get raped by people offering you "free hides", and tent costs 100 caps? You meant 500 - 1000.

Rest is ok.
Remember that you can make your first character a trader or slaver, to gain more caps at start, additionally you can start with doing few quests in each of city and get 6 lvl without shooting a bullet.
And one more thing about character, it is pointless to not have fast shot trait while you got 1 lk, you won't score many criticals, even aiming at eyes.

I`ll give free stuff to newbies, if i find that i wont need it or it will take me 5min to get it again.
I can bet that there will more players like me.

Will see about this rapes - but good You have mentioned about it - Wasteland is harsh, take care !

Pzkpfw VI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:51:43 am »
Fibers are easy to find at 1616:1437 (NCR mine square)

DocAN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 12:32:35 am »
FLC - Is bank in FOnline. You need 100 caps to open an account. Make sure to store Your caps in bank.

Strike

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 01:02:19 am »
Damn these newbies guides really should remade into one :P

Cali

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:00 am »

Rest is ok.

I've met a newbie few days ago at Junktown Mine. I gave him Tent, 4x Combat Armour Set, 4 x Miniguns, Laser Rifle, ammo and stimpacks. Yesterday I've met him in Hub - he was leveling his next character, so if you don't want to share a little of your stuff it's your choice. Just please do not try to tell it's impossible and no one will help a newbie in his journey....

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 12:59:59 pm »
DocAN, I don't think at start there will be players giving out free stuff, this guide is outdated, I don't want to be rude with this, it's just a pure lie, moreover, you'll get raped by people offering you "free hides".

I've always given new players advice and starting gear back in 2238 and that hasn't changed in Reloaded.
I've met several people who helped me out likewise.

DocAN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie guide
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:28:53 am »
Guide updated with registration help

Gavared

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:38:34 pm »
If you want a leather jacket early and your Charisma is too low to get it from Buster, you can find one in the grave behind the house where you have to kill the rats.  The Shovel you will need to dig it up is in front of the house lying on the left side in the Brahmin type pen where the 2 rats were. 

Part Man, Part Machine

Playstation ID: Gavared

cooney75

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 01:19:23 am »
download client not downloading

Strike

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »
download client not downloading

What kind of error this download show to you?
http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/files/dl_fullclient.php

KeiserZA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »
I have a problem with my client...  I downloaded the full client, unzipped it, and ran the FOnline.exe file.  Initially all the buttons showed up as ERROR!  Somehow that sorted it self out, no idea how...  My problem now is, when I run the .exe file, the initial window, where username and password is entered...in the left top corner it reads "executing start script failure".
Also, when I open the registration window, to modify my character, noting is editable  - if i add points to a perk it stays on zero, if i try and change the name nothing happens....

I have redownloaded the client, re-unpacked it in a different location, and tried again, still no budge...
Where am i going wrong?

Strike

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:16 pm »
If you just downloaded full client, do these things.

- Unzip client and move FOnline Reloaded folder to some of these locations.
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\YOURNAME\FOnline Reloaded
OR
C:\FOnline Reloaded

- Full client is updated, but you could still run Updater.exe

- Check that IP and Port is right on FOConfig.
Code: [Select]
RemoteHost= 188.165.225.167
RemotePort= 2238

KeiserZA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:51 pm »
made the changes, thanks, but the error thing is back: