April 27, 2024, 05:45:42 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: More lifelike followers  (Read 1806 times)

That Man

• View Profile
More lifelike followers
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:17:38 pm »
We all know that the AI for followers is generally more retarded than a handful of dead butterflies, so here is the deal. Title says it all, really.

First, followers should have more detailed combat control, similar to F2 (attack -> weakest, strongest, whoever is attacking me; use drugs -> anytime any drug, stimpaks when hurt a bit, stimpaks when hurt a lot; burst mode if applicable -> never, always, be sure not to hit me, don't worry about hitting me, for some examples).

Second, as much as I myself do not like it, they should "whine" if they have some medical malady (I remember Vic always saying "Owowow" and following me with the speed of a snail until I figured out he had a crippled leg...). It also seems that drugs work differently for them, some apparently not at all for the matter (I went to the glow with my follower, gave her some radx, and always gave her radaway the same time I used it on myself, and while I survived the trip relatively intact with about 12-14% rad, my follower had most of her stats reduced to under 5... from which I assumed that radaway does not work for followers as it works for players).

Finally for now, wasteland doctors should have the option of healing followers, too. This one is an unnaturally short suggestion from me, isn't it?

And now, I await your thoughts about all these rants.
"A psychiatrist can only be truly wrong if they diagnose anyone to be free of all disorders." /Jozsef Nepp-Jozsef Romhanyi: Next, please!/

"You can diagnose any illness you want, because the patient is guaranteed to get it from somewhere eventually." /Jozsef Nepp-Jozsef Romhanyi: Next, please!/

ElSlayer

• Paladin
    • View Profile
    • [Top-notch Сasual Dating  Verified Females]
Re: More lifelike followers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:26:32 am »
It also seems that drugs work differently for them, some apparently not at all for the matter (I went to the glow with my follower, gave her some radx, and always gave her radaway the same time I used it on myself, and while I survived the trip relatively intact with about 12-14% rad, my follower had most of her stats reduced to under 5... from which I assumed that radaway does not work for followers as it works for players).
Rad. resist depends on ENdurance. Maybe she had less EN than you?

That could start chain reaction - she have low EN => less rad. resist => becomes more radiated => EN lowered because of radiation => even less rad. resist => ...

That Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:20:34 pm »

Rad. resist depends on ENdurance. Maybe she had less EN than you?

That could start chain reaction - she have low EN => less rad. resist => becomes more radiated => EN lowered because of radiation => even less rad. resist => ...

I was thinking about that, but I checked later (after a good helping of radaway) and she actually has 1 more EN than me (shame, but true :P). Also, before going for the trip, both of us had a handful of radx, and with combat armor, I'm pretty sure she had 95% rad res, support perks or not. Heck, at least we got a nice tan.

Anyway. Let's get back to the suggestion part of the post.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:26:17 pm by That Man »
"A psychiatrist can only be truly wrong if they diagnose anyone to be free of all disorders." /Jozsef Nepp-Jozsef Romhanyi: Next, please!/

"You can diagnose any illness you want, because the patient is guaranteed to get it from somewhere eventually." /Jozsef Nepp-Jozsef Romhanyi: Next, please!/

KestreL

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:37:34 pm »
Compainons are fine as they are, You want an Army of NPC during TC fighting eachother like its PVE ?
I can just imagine 15 people in TC with 3 compainons each. LAG FEST!

That Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:48 pm »
Compainons are fine as they are, You want an Army of NPC during TC fighting eachother like its PVE ?
I can just imagine 15 people in TC with 3 compainons each. LAG FEST!

I think you missed my point. I never said anything about being able to have more companions, I suggested making them smarter by adding more options to their fighting style and fleshing them out a little more, in order to, indeed, become more useful in PvE as support for the average wastelander (like myself) and to add a little flavor to the game. I don't see how more sensible followers would mess up TC, either.

In case I misunderstood you, please explain.

KestreL

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:08:41 pm »
Any alt and i mean any alt can have 2 compainons, there will be a point where every faction "Has" to have 2 compainons then game will be swarmed with npc.

That Man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »
But my question was WHY would people want more of them? I never suggested anything remotely referring to the increase of their numbers. I'm sorry, I dare say I have pretty good detective skills, but I simply fail to see any connection between non-retarded followers and their role in TC.