April 27, 2024, 11:33:37 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: How important is Luck for tank characters?  (Read 2733 times)

XaeL

• View Profile
How important is Luck for tank characters?
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:57 pm »
I am having trouble with the critical hit mechanic, specifically calculating the probability of a DR bypass.  I've read the crit table sticky and all the stuff on the wiki and didn't see the actual math anywhere.  If anyone knows exactly how the crit formula works for DR bypass please explain!

Otherwise I am also looking for subjective reply's, for example like "my tank has 1 luck and never has his DR bypassed," or "tanks aren't tanks without 10 luck."

I'm trying to plan a build that has bonehead and man of steel, and am wondering if I can get away with 1 luck. 

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: http://forum.fonline-reloaded.net/index.php?topic=244.0
This thread, specifically the posts by 3.14 are the best explanations I have found of crit effect mechanics.  I think the takeaway is no, a character with Luck = 1 cannot really be an effective tank.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:38:16 am by XaeL »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Re: How important is Luck for tank characters?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:44:15 pm »
My reply is from a guy who does NOT study the math so take it with salt:

I have heard guys say this many times, that Luck 1 is to be avoided in PvP for this bypass reason, but what Luck is ideal? 10. The higher your Luck in combat, the better, of course, but we often cannot afford that high of Luck so many guys say Luck 5 is good to avoid most bypass.

Then add perks to the formula and the hidden math gets crazier. I always get the feeling that devs don't mind keeping it this way so we play this game with a sense of realism, and not like it's a big math puzzle because if it boils only down to math, we'd know too much.

XaeL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:27:38 pm »
Thx for the reply Henry.  I understand the desire to keep some games from being too math oriented but realistically every part of this game is already heavily math oriented.  So if its true then, that nobody really knows how the bypass thing actually works, then we have an almost totally math oriented game in which just this one mechanic for some reason is being kept secret.  Different players will have different opinions on this I am sure, but in my opinion sticking a finger in the eye of theory crafters in a theory craft oriented game is poor design. 

But seriously, this is a basic mechanic.  I mean we are talking primary stats here.  How does nobody know how it works?

Furior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:04:36 pm »

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
Fallout uses stats rolls, like a conventional roleplaying game.

Some things require checks where a "dice" is rolled.
The outcome of these checks are based on your special stats.

Luck, for example, affects weapon drop on a critical miss,
or armor bypass on a critical hit. Thus high luck is better for a tank as well, of course.

However, I cannot tell how much it affects the outcome, since it may not be the only stat responsible.
It could just as well be the sum of EN, AG and LK. Personally, I prefer having a LK of ~5.