March 29, 2024, 01:31:50 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: A mapping contest  (Read 28022 times)

Alvarez

• Supporter
    • View Profile
A mapping contest
« on: November 30, 2013, 12:52:41 pm »
Hello, community.

I'd like to invite you (and everyone else) to a simple mapping contest. No previous mapping experience required - the only requirement is to best the map of the opponent in the previous post in terms of quality.
The winner will be determined by the amount of votes in poll in the thread by the community, when the developers determine the map as done or when the last sendspace link will decay.
The amount of contributors are only limited by maximal amount of poll options.

edit: here's my map. I call it Undefeated Of The East.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oquakz
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:07:30 pm by Alvarez »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Re: A mapping contest
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »
Great idea! This is a map i was working on not long ago. It is meant to be a new SE, a used car lot encounter where you get to drive away with whichever working car you prefer:

Obviously it still needs ground tiles, exits and barriers set up.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:45:46 pm »
Any program I need?

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:48:30 pm »
Yeah Alvarez, please post here the best known link for the best known mapper tools so people can join this contest.

Alvarez

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:06:46 pm »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:49:40 pm by Kilgore »

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:49:31 pm »
Nope. Use mapper from 2238 source.

http://fo2238.fodev.net/source/FOnline2238.client+mapper.zip

(I also edited link from post made by Alvarez)

My old mapper guide:
http://forum.newfmc.pl/index.php?topic=47.0
(it's written in Polish so use translate.google.com)

Alvarez

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:06:21 am »
I have a stupid feeling that i'm representing uncatchable unbeatable Joe.
So whatever, i give up on this. Henry has won.

edit: Thanks to Henry, this topic is open again for the contributions of the community. This is not even sarcasm.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:40:37 pm by Alvarez »

Shamessa

• Freelancer
    • View Profile
    • Rulers and Empires
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:15:03 pm »
Editor linked by Kilgore didn't worked for me. Instead, I downloaded one linked in tutorial, and that one worked, but I got few questions...

1. Is there a posiblity to fill new map (all hexes) with one tile in faster way, then clicking one by one?
2. When I do highlit blockes (ctrl+b), how I can make them unlit (turn it off)?
3. I cant find way to build rock (like in some encounter, in miuntain) where one wall is huge wall, side of mountain.
4. Since its in russian, I can't find way to setup critter HP and orders (this is a bit frustrating).

Freelancer

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:40:19 am »
The mapper i use says v.1.29.0

1. The way to fast-fill tiles is to do it slow once to make a template. Then you have a fast starting place each time you want a new map with similar ground. That's the only way i see.

3. In this mapper i use tiles in the "SCEN" group. I have to scroll thru many of them to get to some larger options, but you can drop some large background pieces for example, to do cliffs.

Someone gave me a pro tip here: do not overlap tiles. Use a mapper that has a grid overlay so you can always keep tiles aligned in neat tidy rows/columns. This translates to more efficient loading.

And now for eye-candy:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:57:22 am by Henry »

Shamessa

• Freelancer
    • View Profile
    • Rulers and Empires
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 06:46:43 am »
thanks for reply:

more questions :)

5. How I can test/prelook made map?
6. Blockers - I didn't find info about them: some are blocking all (movement, light, shooting), some only movement and some light, and some only shooting, right? Which are which?

Quesss I will skip clif making. Besides, map I am working on is rather industrial facility.
Freelancer

Cerberix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:32:57 am »
You should download FOnline 2238 sdk and then test your map in game. FOnline Reloaded uses 2238 mapper, so use it instead of tla mapper (russian/cvet sdk). I recommend you open any exist map and look how it had been made.

b__B

• JovankaB
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 11:00:26 am »
Editor linked by Kilgore didn't worked for me.

Probably because you didn't download server. You have to download BOTH client+mapper and server to use 2238 Mapper:

http://fo2238.fodev.net/source/FOnline2238.client+mapper.zip
http://fo2238.fodev.net/source/FOnline2238.server+tools.zip

Because Mapper uses some server files, like item protos. It can't work without them.

You shouldn't use Mapper from tutorial, because many items, scripts, dialogs etc are different. Reloaded is a fork of 2238, so it's much more compatible with 2238 than with the original FOnline SDK.

What I think would be better, would be the Mapper (and other tools) with FOnline Reloaded protos and other files required by them in a single package - updated sometimes (I think that should be standard way of doing it by any closed source server that wants some help with content creation, but for some reason nobody is doing it - maybe nobody needs help).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:14:30 am by b__B »
Your favorite player

Kelin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 11:17:10 am »
There is a whole load of pvp videos, yet there is little to no mapper tutorials, which is really really sad. Some 5 minute tutorial explaining how to build your own small map, using common techniques could encourage more people to try mapping on their own.

Shamessa

• Freelancer
    • View Profile
    • Rulers and Empires
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »
Mapping in this editor is not hard for someone, who did such work ealier (I did, so it seems easy). What I dont know, is how test maps (i saw in one video tutorial that guy preses MAGIC button and viola, character is on map he builds and he walks with that char around, that was perfect).

I will try later download server files and such, and I will try run again linked mapper.

Freelancer

b__B

• JovankaB
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 12:44:27 pm »
To test a map you need to run server locally on your PC.
The easiest way is to replace existing map file (like Vault 15) with your map.
Otherwise you would have to define a new location in server files.

There is a whole load of pvp videos, yet there is little to no mapper tutorials, which is really really sad. Some 5 minute tutorial explaining how to build your own small map, using common techniques could encourage more people to try mapping on their own.

I don't think you would like to make maps after you saw on a video how they are done ;D
Mapper is like Microsoft Paint for graphics (actually it's worse, but you get the idea).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:52:26 pm by b__B »
Your favorite player