April 27, 2024, 02:32:21 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Zero Player Encounters - Bug or Feature?  (Read 11032 times)

CXZ

• View Profile
Re: Zero Player Encounters - Bug or Feature?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 07:10:09 pm »
I hope this doesn't turn into a PK thread, those derail quickly.

I'd be cool with not being able to encounter low level players or be encountered at low level, or having the ability to turn it on/off, or even a nub island somewhere out in the middle of the ocean on the part of the map we never see.

TLA2 does something similar, and it doesn't seem to affect the game negatively too much.

However it's important to remember that dungeons and other public locations still put all players at risk. NPC mobs are plenty dangerous to new players (not new alts of old players). It's still full loot.

Low level protection isn't going to break my game, I doubt it will break anyone else's.

Besides, if it helps grow the community I'm all for it. The new player retention in these games sucks, in part (not all) because of some of the players in the community.

You can still say "Go cry moar nub, wasteland is harsh", but that just proves the point.

Don't care if you agree with me, it's just a personal opinion born of years of being a PK.

I'm simply curious what the solution will be.
i agree at 100% percent but i have no idea what TLA2 is

Martyr

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:02 pm »
TLA2 is another FOnline server that was almost entirely Russian, but recently was made English-friendly.

They have a system in place where you're confined to the "low level" area until level 4 I think. It's been a log time since I played it.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »
How about this:

chance_to_encounter_player *=5/(5+abs(my_level- encountered_pc_level))

If you don't understand the formula:
-a encounter between a lv1 and a lv 30 player would be about 15% of what is now
-a encounter between a lv5 and a lv 30 player would be about 17% of what is now
-a encounter between a lv10 and a lv 30 player would be about 20% of what is now
-a encounter between a lv15 and a lv 30 player would be about 25% of what is now
-a encounter between a lv20 and a lv 30 player would be about 33% of what is now
-a encounter between a lv25 and a lv 30 player would be about 50% of what is now
-a encounter between a lv30 and a lv 30 player would be about 100% of what is now

It could be caped at lv24 and still produce nice results (with a hyperbolic-like curve).

I may be broke, but I ain't broken (just twisted).

Martyr

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:20 am »
The basic problem is that you don't need a level 30 character to PK a low level character.

While that would mean level 30's would encounter each other at the regular rate, it also means low level builds would encounter each other at the regular rate.

I can promise you what would happen is people would build low level alts designed specifically to PK.

Desert Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 12:35:57 am »
I can promise you what would happen is people would build low level alts designed specifically to PK.
+1

To minimize butthurt from losing your stuff on low levels what is needed is temporary default tent that u can use on lower levels before you get your own tent (like in FOnline2).
Don't tamper with player encounters please.
Hello Kitty Online is not just about defeating monsters - there are many activities to choose from. Aside from exploring the monster-filled adventure areas, players can dig for ore, range the wilderness to pick fruit from trees, discover new cities, craft a broad selection of goods and more.

Gooseberry

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 06:15:40 am »
While I love stuff like tent raiding, thievery and pvp in general myself.
I do agree that all chars up to a certain level simply shouldn't be possible to encounter.

Perhaps make it impossible to encounter somoene level <6. And after that up until level 10 theres a reduced chance to encounter that lower per levels. In a table this would look as the following:

Level 1: Impossible to encounter anyone
Level 2: Impossible to encounter anyone
Level 3: Impossible to encounter anyone
Level 4: Impossible to encounter anyone
Level 5: Impossible to encounter anyone
Level 6: Impossible to encounter anyone
Level 7: 25% of the normal% to encounter somoene
Level 8: 50% of the normal% to encounter somoene
Level 9: 75% of the normal% to encounter somoene
Level10: 100% Can encounter any other level 10> normally.

Czarny

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 08:21:03 am »
Maybe I miss something, but chance of encounter depends  mostly of your Outdoorsman skill right ?
Give a boost to it for new players, but not depended on level but hours of playing and you get rid of alts problem at the same time.

Castor

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 03:42:12 pm »
Bump.
Same problem. After a week of playing with zero encounters with other players. Me and my friends started test, we concentrated in one sector. Some stayed at the encounters with NPC, another walk around on the map. After a hour we got 0 collisions. We all lvl 20+

Any suggestions?
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

DocAN

• Administrator
  • Testing FO: Reloaded
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 03:46:32 pm »
You need to change encounter map coz it is getting close after some time - no one will find you no matter what lvl you are

Castor

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 05:25:19 pm »
Thx for info, we will try to roam.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

sogabe

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 08:56:47 am »
? I encounter all the time. Is this an old thread with solved issue?