March 28, 2024, 10:03:34 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Seasons and enjoyment  (Read 4641 times)

Ross

• View Profile
Seasons and enjoyment
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:49:18 am »
Hello everyone, I am quite new on the forum. Played a bit the game in and out, got in touch with few great people.

First of all, I want to thank the devs and the people keeping up this game.
It's great and the fact you are doing this without any kind of profit is really commendable.

I lurked a bit on the forum, trying to understand what the seasons are about and how the game is going to move in the future, with poor results unlukily. Maybe due to the fact I am not really into IT and some threads seem a bit going deep informatic specifics wise.

I wanted to share with you my thoughts with humility: I am refrained from playing the game right now because of the chance tomorrow or the day after any sort of progress could be wiped out by the season change. I guess this can be a delicate topic but I think a stable and permanent world could work on attract more people and grant more enjoyment through a more stable sense of accomplishment.

Ps. I know there is (or at least there was) a raging debate on keeping or leaving the full loot in pvp. I played some of the major pvp games out there and this is not really a topic able to undermine my enjoyment as much as the danger of an imminent wipe. On this topic I am basically a tilt proof player.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:30:11 pm by Ross »

POWERPUFF

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Seasons and enjoyment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:23 pm »
major issues if the server was about to run until the Earth explodes:

1. who would pay for hosting?
2. would you expect new features during xy years?
3. some features cannot be implemented without wiping the server
4. one silly overlooked bug can fuck up the whole economy until the season ends
5. one insufficiently checked feature can fuck up the whole economy until the season ends

this game will become boring at one point, trust me, so you, as a player, do want some refreshment... and let me tell you, for some of us, it's more exciting to see the full wipe changelog than if the server was kept alive until we all die. This also gives newbies/newcomers/other players a fair chance to keep on track.

Sometimes, though, the wipe changelog is not what we were looking for.

BTW - this is the third season since 2013 and it's currently running for 1.5 year, so I would say it's pretty stable and long-lasting.
The Almighty Gaylords

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Seasons and enjoyment
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 11:55:04 pm »
this game will become boring at one point, trust me, so you, as a player, do want some refreshment... and let me tell you, for some of us, it's more exciting to see the full wipe changelog than if the server was kept alive until we all die. This also gives newbies/newcomers/other players a fair chance to keep on track.

Now, puffy, I don't know why, but you didn't include this in your list of arguments, although I'd say this is the most important one.

Yes, the game gets boring rather fast, especially when you know it well. I mean, it's a great game and it can offer months of fun for the first timers.

I agree with Programmer.

I only wish we had some trivial marketing before the wipe. give an announcement a week before, do the email notifications a day before, use social networks, etc. No, none of this. We have to monitor the forum to get the updates. Huge miss. Could've gotten a lot more people if paid a tiny bit of attention to trivial marketing.