March 28, 2024, 12:41:25 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: First Character Idea (no drugs, no implants, no books)  (Read 2023 times)

Wichura

• View Profile
First Character Idea (no drugs, no implants, no books)
« on: January 18, 2019, 08:07:31 pm »
Hello world, I'm so excited to start playing but I don't know what character should I make!

Welcome stranger! New in town?
First of all - forget about singleplayer Fallouts. Really, forget about what you've learned there about game mechanics, builds and whatnot. You can read through these pages too to get clear vision how different it is.

I'd like to play a sniper-sneaker character that I can do quests with!

Yeah, yeah, snipers, snipers everywhere. Completely unpredictable worshippers of Random The Almighty God - they hit for 10 HP, then 250, then 5 again. Perks "Sniper" and "Slayer" don't exist here. Yes, really. Same with Gifted trait. I told you to abandon singleplayer habits, didn't I?

C'mon old fool, I want to play!
SPECIAL:
ST 5 - for Adrenaline Rush perk and decent carry weight
PE 6 - to see shit trying to kill you before it does
EN 10 - Hit Points and being more manly man (or German lady) that fears knockdowns less
CH 1 - it's a dump stat. Yes, for real. You don't need it to do quests, for the sake of entering Vault City with Daypass you'll use Mentants to temporary raise it to 3, which is enough. Yes, I'm sure it is a dump stat if you don't play with taxi-alt.
IN 5 - unless your time has no value and your mom keeps bringing food to your basement, you will need reasonable IN to save yourself endless grindfest for raising skills
AG 10 - you can't afford drugs at the beginning and at least 10 Action Points is a must.
LK 3 - with less you'll suffer from weapon dropped, exploded, critical misses and so on. LK at 1 works almost like the Jinxed trait. More is only for critical-hits based characters, which is not the case here.

Traits:
Fast Shot - aims random body parts, no impact on critical hits I know of
(optional) Loner - for extra +10% XP, however you won't be able to have companions, slaves or lead your mate to a glorious adventure
(optional) One hander - for extra +5 flat damage per each attack. It also says about a -40% chance to hit when using two-handed weapons, but this is not a massive pain in the butt and also it can be mitigated by raising Small Guns skill later on.

Skills tagged:
Small Guns - affordable weapons, low-to-medium ammo consumption, reasonable damage. Raise to 200% minimum, 220-240 recommended later on. DON'T FORGET to get +10% skill bonus at level 1 from Marshal in Gun Runners Fortress, south from Hub.
First Aid - useful even if you can afford Superstims, raise up to 150%
Outdoorsman - almost useless in singleplayer, essential in FOnline. If you want to see the world without tripping over each pack of rats and scorpions, it's mandatory to have this skill at 150% at least.

All these can be raised by books (10 per each skill), available to buy in Hub's Market, in Mrs Stapleton bookstore. Total cost is around 55k caps or so, I don't think you can have it straight away.

Perks
There's 8 perks in total as you level up plus support perks available from NPCs or quests.
For this particular character I recommend (in order of leveling): Adrenaline Rush, Toughness, Even Tougher, Bonus Ranged Damage, More Ranged Damage, Bonus Rate of Attack, Lifegiver, Lifegiver.
You can also swap Bonus Ranged Damage with Lifegiver to have 285 HP at level 24.

Bu-bu-but Big Gunz! Lasers! Pew-pew-pew!
That's the spirit! I love them too. However big guns are expensive and ammo-consuming, same goes for energy weapons. If you feel you can afford it - go ahead, but don't complain providing chain of supplies is ruining your game experience.

This build have been tested by dedicated squad of lab guinea pigs fellow players on many occasions and with different styles of playing. It's viable enough for the beginning, it doesn't get ganked by every creature you'll meet, it doesn't cost a fortune to maintain.

If you decide to play with this idea but then you'll find it sucking big hairy balls, please leave my mum's name alone and perform a reroll for 10k to keep your experience and start again with different one.

Any comments are appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:17:02 pm by Wichura »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Re: First Character Idea (no drugs, no implants, no books)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:23:55 pm »
Thank you for the work! New players need all the advice like this they can get.

Also new players should read "Guides" page on wiki. No link - go find it - easy stuff.

Mr. Z

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: First Character Idea (no drugs, no implants, no books)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:16 am »
Sexy!
Just nitpicking Wichura:
Loner only applies to NPCs and animals, you can still lead 2 players with that trait and CH 1.
Anyway, I like the "forget the single player games mechanics", keep it coming!