April 19, 2024, 12:02:03 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: A New Player’s Expectations  (Read 6360 times)

rouleboule

• View Profile
A New Player’s Expectations
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:17:05 pm »
First of all hi everyone and ty for your efforts that bring back a cult game alive again.

As a new player of fonline i was expecting to feel more harsh and cruel atmosphere of wasteland. In general it’s a great game. But i couldn’t manage to get in the fallout world. For example “not dropping items on death”. As far as i know that feature was brought in last season. But why? It’s not teletubbies world that has baby face sun.

And second expectation is base needs (hungry, thirsty etc.). Ok, maybe it’s not for everyone but it could make me try to find a water source in deserts of wasteland. So i would emphasize my character.

Third and last one is more and balanced perks, balanced skills, balanced stats. I really wanted to think carefully when perk chose window pop up. I really wanted use my charisma stat.

That’s what i think. Maybe i didn’t play enough. This is just my first impressions with FOnline Realoded.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:59:45 pm by rouleboule »

Mr. Z

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: A New Player’s Expectations
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:18:14 pm »
Hello there.

Apart from game mechanics you'll have to do some work to get some thrills:

A:)  Join a faction that does Town Control. Currently there are just two active factions, Gaylords and Peacekeepers.
Both faction do not take onboard just anybody, but at least you would do some good Ol' PvP.
B:) -And I'd never think I would say this as a Peacekeeper- Play as a Player Killer. You'll have to develop a build, your strategies and everybody is gonna hate you from within their guts. Read: shoot you on sight.
To be honest, we all complained about the game present ruleset, but if you like the game you'll have to use what's available.

Anyway, welcome onboard.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:28:23 pm by Mr. Z »

rouleboule

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:33:24 pm »
As a new player of fonline i was expecting to feel more harsh and cruel atmosphere of wasteland. In general it’s a great game. But i couldn’t manage to get in the fallout world. For example “not dropping items on death”. As far as i know that feature was brought in last season. But why? It’s not teletubbies world that has baby face sun.

Don't get me wrong but that sounds really interesting. You're totally new player of fonline as you said and you're talking about "loot drop", last season and you can't get involved into Fallout's world because of that? It's really strange especially, the most newcomers aren't focused on details like loot drop and generally give no zero details about PvP. Loot drop is enabled in Dayglow which is used for PvP. You can come here, die and lose your amazing loot. You can also roleplay and give yourself challenge "character die = drop items or deleteself".

And second expectation is base needs (hungry, thirsty etc.). Ok, maybe it’s not for everyone but it could make me try to find a water source in deserts of wasteland. So i would emphasize my character.

In the past there were many suggestions about hunger system and so on but it wasn't introduced. Why? Because all suggestions were very similar like your without any further details. Also most of the players don't like that idea because it seems to be annoying and doesn't fit into game at all. However as optional feature it could be good but as you know you can do your own challange as I mentioned earlier.

Third and last one is more and balanced perks, balanced skills, balanced stats. I really wanted to thank carefully when perk chose window pop up. I really wanted use my charisma stat.

Everything is balanced which means you can use charisma for specialized builds. I recommend you just read official wiki and some tutorials. You can also ask questions on forums and discord as well if you don't know something.

Ty for your answer. As i said i just hoped more merciless world from old-school fallout fan project makers. You know newer fallouts are getting bad. They are like made for the kids and easier. They give you a power armor at the beginning of Fallout 4 and made you kill Deathclaw like a just mutated rat. Because of that i had expectations from this side of the game. I hope you understand me  :).

I've researched a bit about loot drops if you are curious about that.

POWERPUFF

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 02:00:39 pm »
it's really hard to talk about current harshness..

if we had loot drop enabled everywhere, we'd be seeing what we were seeing the whole season2 - people hoarded stuff, kept it in their tents/bases and wore it only there, because they could've get raped on their way somewhere and looted by anyone.

Now people actually use the top tier stuff this season..., just not inside the Dayglow, because that's the only location with loot drop enabled, but also the only location where top tier stuff drops.

So what you're seeing now is - you kill an enemy inside the Dayglow, and you can expect the same loot as what you looted last season from ie Ultra Violence folks .. broken non-statted combat armor mk II and minigun. These people are then crying that we're holding the location most of the time - because we're fearlessly going there and camping there with top stuff we have and that's what makes the difference in both pve there and pvp with players using regular stuff.
The Almighty Gaylords

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:54:22 pm »
If you hear anyone say "we all complained about it" they are lying. Some complained. Some applauded. It's a mix. I believe the vast majority of people who tried this game and who would have stayed, would love it now. So those who hate it are actually in a tiny minority overall, but may seem like a majority due to loud mouths. They are the loudest. Likely spoiled entitled brats irl too.

So here's our situation: for years and years the game was beaten into the ground by an extreme imbalance tipped harshly in favor of the tiny majority of jackasses who don't play this game for its intended content, but as an outlet for their own personal hatred. So most of the majority left. With so many other games to play that don't cater to the worst, why stay. Years go by and more would join, and quit.

Now...finally...devs made the change this game always needed. So we're like a hospital patient after surgery. We almost died and we're still in critical shape but at least the cancerous cyst was mostly removed and what's left of it has limited growth. So maybe we have a chance to recover. It will take time though. Nobody should expect this particular recovery to go quickly. Be patient. Play it as hard as you can. There are plenty of PvP options all over the map, and now Dayglow has your precious loot-drop.

I wish one of two other things would also happen: either the jackasses stop making fake accounts and posing as new players to fool devs into questioning the surgery that might save us, or the rest of us all get smart about that clever strategy.

Actual growth rate: it was over 500 people sometimes online at a time on 2238, 7 years ago.
Compare to now: more like 200 at a time (all servers combined).
Reality: based on that, game has been dying.
However, if 5,000 people tried it over those 7 years and quit, and even 1,000 of them quit for reasons that our recent changes "fix", then theoretically we'd have 1200 people on here right now, instead of only 200. If we could only get them back...to try it again...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:26:06 pm by Henry »

NeedALight?

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:05 pm »
If we could only get them back...to try it again...

It won't happen. Also, 200? I see 30 tops, don't count other servers, this was Reloaded. You can say whatever you want about the changes made, but in my case, I quit because there was no reason to stay after PVP died. You can call us brats or "PVP Apes" all you want. That we were a cancer to this game, but we were the reason the game was alive in the first place.

The developer doesn't owe us anything though, I understand that. Nor I am asking for anything at this point, just ranting. For you guys to kill PVP so quickly and without mercy without actually adding another reason to stay and play the game was the wrong move.

Now you can tell me you added tons of content and new stuff, but I am just too brainless to appreciate new lore or whatever. Either way, you still killed half of the community just because you wanted everyone to try your new content, instead of giving both sides a little to go on.

No loot drops was and is a big deal. Maybe it was the main reason why people didn't wanted to continue playing, maybe it was the other way around.

I don't know. I check once every month or so to see if the player changed a bit, but ever since the "new season" came, it has been a steady <40 players.

Probably I'll get hate from this, since any sort of criticism against the game has always been met with talk back from the devs. Doesn't really matter now, does it? As long as you guys are proud of the game you made regardless of whether people play it or not.

Peace.

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 10:19:48 am »
You loose something worth far more than loot; you loose XP.
The "food and drink" debate has been done. To death. -1 million hit points dead. (The devs wouldn't even entertain "take a shower" for small hp recovery.)
Limiting character development sucks though.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

pez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 08:14:11 am »
If we could only get them back...to try it again...
I didn't get the memo about changes, but I'm back after several years to try the game again. So, uh, you got at least one...

EDIT:
So far it's pretty challenging... I'm going on my third character trying to make it through crafting a knife in the tutorial. The first one I somehow locked my second weapon slot and made it unusable by picking up a second sledgehammer. I can't figure out how to move the hammer, select the hammer, replace the hammer, etc. The second character has lost my two junk pieces I was lucky enough to find in a crate, since I can't find the items to make the tools to get the junk items, so I can make the other tool to make the items for the other tool... I understand I'm probably missing a lot here, and not having played Fallout since the late 90's doesn't help, so I'm going to spend a couple more hours trying to make the knife and maybe I'll pick up more along the way. It feels like a proper fallout, and I feel like there will be things to enjoy once I get past this items for tools for items for tools rabbit hole.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:32:50 am by pez »