April 19, 2024, 07:27:37 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Improved Base Security  (Read 4731 times)

lutha

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Improved Base Security
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:02:29 pm »
Is there a simple way to make bases more secure?, everyone has loads around but they are just meeting places as no one trusts anyone to put anything there.
1) Is it easy to introduce high grade locks ( not the normal ones you can apply to footlockers and safes), like electronic locks? to be applied to all metal lockers and doors?
2) Could you make lockers/doors accessible based on faction rank? recruit, member, trusted, officer or friend, neutral, enemy?

This may help bases become more than just a meeting point
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:11:07 pm by lutha »

swinglinered

• View Profile
Re: Improved Base Security
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:32:44 pm »
Is there a simple way to make bases more secure?, everyone has loads around but they are just meeting places as no one trusts anyone to put anything there.
1) Is it easy to introduce high grade locks ( not the normal ones you can apply to footlockers and safes), like electronic locks? to be applied to all metal lockers and doors?
2) Could you make lockers/doors accessible based on faction rank? recruit, member, trusted, officer or friend, neutral, enemy?

This may help bases become more than just a meeting point

I understand the desire for security, but this is a post-apocalyptic RPG. The constant danger is essential.

On the other hand I suppose there would be a lot of leftover electronically secured storage from before the war.

Weren't there electronic locks in 2238? Just share the passcode with people of corresponding rank.

If so, then the implementation already exists.

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:50:33 pm »
First off, the mechanics would be "very difficult" IRL (when I was in the Corps, someone broke into my locker and boosted my battle rattle, she got busted later only because she tried to sell it on craigslist like a dumbfuck), so in game would be practically impossible.
Second, bases really weren't meant to be much more than that to begin with, with maybe some practical logistic support functions.

I do understand the wish for better security, but it's really not that easy. (Better/rank dependent locks would help though.) Maybe adding a limited-duty merc ("security guard") would help?
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

POWERPUFF

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:43:24 am »
place the locker inside the building where terminal is, swarm it with mercs and companions, and set them all to kill anyone but friends.

Make only trusted/officer faction friends and watch dem mercs kill anyone else.

Could be also done differently, if mercs won't attack "faction" members no matter if they are friends or not, you could easily create a dummy faction, recruit mercs, put them into your primary peacekeepers base and add player names into the list of friends in the dummy faction terminal, that way mercs won't kill them but everyone else.
The Almighty Gaylords

abysse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:22:53 am »
You're not supposed to feel any safe in this game, except in your tent.

No matter how much you know people in game, sharing a base is at your own risk since the early 2238, i don't see why this should be changed. we already lost so much sense of insecurity...

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:40:00 pm »
You're not supposed to feel any safe in this game, except in your tent.

No matter how much you know people in game, sharing a base is at your own risk since the early 2238, i don't see why this should be changed. we already lost so much sense of insecurity...

You’re supposed to be safe in your tent? News to me…
I got my shit boosted when I was in the Corps, so… Ya, even IRL bases aren’t that safe.

lutha

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:43:30 pm »
Completely understand that the wasteland is a harsh place, danger everywhere! and I'd expect there to be attempts to lock pick the crates etc. would not want them to be unpickable.

The ability to create some structure in the way bases are organised, a reason to promote members etc. without the creation of "dummy" factions and using the friends method to gain access, yes I do that already Powerpuff :).

I understood a base to form the basis from which a faction operates, not just a holding place to meet.
Mercs are always a good idea.
Just feels like you have to work a way around a feature that should be in the game. The game technology advances have delivered Turbo Plasma Rifles and Advanced Power Armour, but has not yet mastered the creation of a simple lock!
 ;D

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 07:57:32 am »
Yeah advanced locks are a cool idea.

"You could always be robbed" is an invalid opinion because if people are unable to keep their items in a safe place, then they will keep them on logged out characters (which are perfectly safe).

swinglinered

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 07:04:01 pm »

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:31:45 am »
Yeah advanced locks are a cool idea.

"You could always be robbed" is an invalid opinion because if people are unable to keep their items in a safe place, then they will keep them on logged out characters (which are perfectly safe).
I got my shit boosted when I was in the Corps, with good locks AND security rounds ("mercenaries" or slaves or whatever).
If it's impossible IRL, how does it happen in the wastes?

Wichura

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 03:53:11 pm »
Don't keep your precious pixels in a place someone else can access.

they will keep them on logged out characters (which are perfectly safe).
StorageAlt814, StorageAlt122, StorageAlt6134 and so on, hell yeah.