March 28, 2024, 12:38:40 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Advertising FOnline Reloaded.  (Read 8046 times)

Parabellum

• Supporter
  • "Some Men Just Want to Watch the World Burn"
    • View Profile
Advertising FOnline Reloaded.
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:14:39 am »
Hey fam,
I had a conversation with a monsieur Infernal Green recently who had a great idea.
I had the urge of doing this ever since I started playing here half a year ago, but whenever I brought it up, people kinda demotivated me on it tbh. and it never been "THAT" bad, until recently. Also, I never had a clear roadmap for this in the back of my head thus I never gave this a shot..

But Infernal Green came up with the idea of advertising the game to some big youtubers and I think this might indeed be worth a shot, "if" whoever involved into this, is passionate enough in his/her attempts.
I think it might realitistically work for the following reasons... retro is modern currently sadly enough lol, pixelart is a thing and modern nowadays and many people dig it (not including myself but beggars cant be chosers lol) and last but not least... I, myself, have not heard of the project FOnline Reloaded until "recently" myself, when I started playing here and have not stopped since, for now, although I had concrete plans to quit or take a break for real, but figured, it doesn't make much of a dif., whetever I grind here, or somewhere else, whilst waiting for better days lol (needless to say, read it with a grain of salt).

What do you guys think ?
Anyone down for giving it a shot ?
Personally I'm not big on YT "at all", I don't think am even having an acc there, but I'm fluent with the steam community, some collaborate efforts might be fruitful.
Imagine some.. idk.. pewdiepengpeng or whatever would advertise the game and houndreds of thousand gamers saw it ? We "could" instantly have like 500 new players.

Best regards u cucks.
-Para
PS:. Sry for my inabillity of being serious recently, idk what cuck is driving me, but am having a blast, so it's hard to stop - and don't take anything to the heart, I luve ya'll, some more, some less, ya'll know it.

EDIT: Also, feel free to send them freshmen my way, if they need guidance, or throw my discord at them, I don't mind it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:36:58 am by Parabellum »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Re: Advertising FOnline Reloaded.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 03:53:01 pm »
Game is awesome. Real fans love it. Summer is also awesome. Summer wins. Happens every year.

Big-time advertising is going to happen at some point. I'm into it. I have my own personal plan for this, but i think getting more people into advertising will do wonders. However, i believe devs prefer to get the game into a more finalized state, which is after these things:

1) the new update is added and verified as stable
2) a major update where tier 3 is back (which will likely be when Talchem is done)
3) stability is re-verified and some minor updates are done to tweak the major update
4) all code is painstakingly analyzed line-by-line and cleaned up to optimize performance

That last one is a doozey. Should it even be done? Maybe that answer is driven partially by funds.

That said, here is what the ad should say imo:

"Did you love Fallout 2? Did you want an MMO version? Here it is, and it's free. And It''s harsh. And it has no money. It is unique. Driven only by fans who love it, and not by profits or greed. It is barely monitored, so you can't call a GM to fix your problems, just like real life. Try FOnline: Reloaded, and embrace the harsh. Pain is just weakness leaving the server."

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:03:00 pm by Henry »

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:56:00 pm »
I respect your opinion, thus I will not attempt to put it asunder.
But in my opinion, summer isn't the explantation for the current situation.
People also play during summer and sometimes people are not even given the choice, meaning, when someone wakes up during night, when everybody else sleeps, he can't do overly much else lol. However, he can play other games.
I won't deny that spring affects player numbers, but spring, nor summer, are known to annihilate entire player bases and a player count, of 16, of wich 2 being me alone (not counting glitched logins), on a saturday night is a rather "bad" sign, no matter winter or summer.

But I also don't feel like doing some kinda solo effort, or something that is unwelcome due to strategic reasons.
It would have to be a team effort.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »
So you want to advertise but those people will come here and read your negativity, so you defeat your own work. How 'bout delete all of your negative posts, and let us who love this game do the posting? I mean at least until summer is over.

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 05:15:38 pm »
You are right Rinzler, I'm playing the game actively, I know the issues.

And I also know how some things sound nice on the paper but are terrible in the practice.
I know all of it and I don't use discord (anymore) since ages, but, it doesn't help turning this into another rant, for two reasons alone, critiszim seems to be ignored entirely, handing it out in rants, would just annihilate the whole attempt to begin with without the context reaching anyone, second off, even if the proper critizim, wich rather seems to be common consensus (talking big picture) reaches open ears.. it won't change the topic.

Maybe the player numbers would return back to 100 alone with T4 and implants.. maybe.. maybe not, but it doesn't change the intial idea of contacting a big youtuber with the corresponding game(s) genre and fanbase, in attempts of creating awareness of the project and eventually bringing in a wave of fresh blood.

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 05:16:04 pm »
Henry, stop being ridiculous, we ain't 7 are we ?

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 05:20:44 pm »
I dunno what 7 means. I'm saying what should be obvious:

Don't yell to a crowd, "Hey come over here! It's awesome" and then when the crowd gets here, you tell them, "too bad it sucks over here". That doesn't work. It is self-defeating.

You know it's the same utter stupidity i have watched for 6 years in FOnline; people cause others to quit and then complain there's fewer people. Well dummies! Either stop being the cause of the problem, or stop complaining there's a problem (that you caused) lol! Pick one! Else everyone sees how stupid you are.

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 05:29:21 pm »
You put your opinion as if it were ultima ratio.
Let me assure you, that your perception isn't, what you asume it to be.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 07:57:43 pm »
There are 3 big things involved now with declining player population:

1) General FOnline Decline
Add all player counts for all FOnline servers and you get a FOnline Grande Total. That total has been declining for 6 years. I don't know why, but it has nothing to do with updates, servers, developers, crafting options or other features. It's just a number that is slowly going down over time. So it's ridiculous when players of one server yell taunts at other servers saying "yours is dying" since they are all experiencing the same decline. This is a bad thing.

2) Jackass Migration
The PvP-No-Loot-Drop update, combined with some account bans (because jackasses were cheating and devs caught them and did what devs are supposed to do), led to a migration of the worst type of players in online gaming: jackasses who do not play the game for its intended content, but instead use the game to express their own personal hatred issues. This reason is a good thing.

3) It's Summertime
Every summer, as said before, we see a temporary decline. This is a good thing too, since it's healthier to play outside.

Now if you combine all of these together, you might get the illusion that "this server sucks", but use your brain, dissect the problem, and realize your role in this story.

Meanwhile, someone is using his brain. His name is Corosive and he's a developer busy working his aspartame off to add more content and features. The guy never stops here, slaving to improve the game, while some people just can't stop talking crap and misdirecting blame.

This game is awesome. And it's slowly getting better (population decline not withstanding), and you can help: log off of this forum and go do some advertising, or learn to dev and design new content, or make maps with the mapper tool or write dialogues with that editor - all free for download now, but you gotta stop posting on forum to get that work done.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm off to edit this game's wiki (for you!)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:01:48 pm by Henry »

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 09:33:18 pm »
You shouldn't treat everything towards the project as an assault, your lion heart in honor, but critizim isn't always hailing from a desctructive direction, rather than a constructive one. People who tend to perform critics, tend to sacrifice their limited life time doing so, the more elaborate an rational critics, the more so.

It's a great project, a very enjoyable one, but that doesn't make it immune to flaws.
And nothing is perfect, perfection is an illusion that may only exist on the paper, we all (I asume) know it and cope with it, but that doesn't cancel out room for improvements.

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 06:59:00 pm »
Besides good points Henry outlined, I want to mention the following:

1. It's not easy to advertise. It's not free either. You always pay. One way or another. Try it.

2. You can overdo the advertising.

If you, by some miracle, get thousands of players flowing in, the server will go down for sure. Our codebase requires some real optimizing. The engine haven't been made with a thought about high loads. And I really doubt the engine will change. Ever. Don't wish/aim for too many players.

I want to add a bit more. Saying that interest in fallout is declining is not helpful. Treat it as a good noname game. Like CDDA, Dwarf Fortress, Elona, etc. People play games with crappy graphics because they offer something else. Fonline does offer something else. Drop of interest in fonline is not an argument. There's no such thing.

Bad player treatment and poor administrative decisions is though.

Anecdotal evidence.

I have an old friend who, turns out, tried fonline many years ago. I suspect he tried the 2238. He liked the idea and even told us about it back then. More like "hey guys, people actually work on f2 online. It's not playable yet, but it's good that they work on it". We never tried it back then cuz he described it as an ongoing project. But now we play some dnd game (blah-blah divinity or whatever it's called) once a week and I tell them about fonline. The friend mentions that he tried it a while ago, but doesn't express a wish to try again.

TBH, the difference between 2238 and current Reloaded is _HUGE_. And I believe Reloaded is really good for new players, but I know too much about the game.

What we should do is get some real feedback from completely brand new fonline players and act on it. They will find many important things that we miss. Until we make sure there's nothing vital to fix about the game process for noobs.

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 05:50:48 am »
The idea wasn't paid/bought/rent advertisement(albeit interesting thought, yet unrealistic af.), rather than community/volunteer driven ones.
Furthermore, there was a concrete idea given by a player (that I named in the first post), that I thought to be worthy of discussing here.

Also the idea wasn't creating another rant thread or discussing the games quality, but I cannot and do not wan't to stop anyone from doing so. I will not, I would make a seperate thread, but for what ? It's pointless at this stage and I don't want to drift off into ass licking because this Rinzler appearently gotten rid off, but from the looks the lattest (attempt) of patch deployment, they (as in, Corosive, Kilgore and Docan) seem to be doing what they can, with limited time and manpower at hand. Albeit I cannot and do not wan't to judge that tbh.

Have a good one,
Para.

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 06:04:47 am »
And with doing what they can, I did NOT mean you Henry, also, I think you haven't actually played the game in it's current stage, extensively.
I, aswell as most of the remaining active player base, however, have spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours, on the "CURRENT" season.
The fact, that I have seen you ingame once, during 6 months, kinda speaks for itself.

So much, for giving your opinion freely. But you can think of me as you wish, you do NOT and WILL not know the actual Parabellum, as you have not spend any time with my actual persona. You might be suprised, but people actually value my company. The reflections of trolls and trash, are not a person, but I won't sell myself under value here, nor suddenly delve into caring.

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 01:49:10 am »
community/volunteer driven ones.
Very-very low results. Aaaand... admins don't give a crap really. I offered a while ago to help with SEO approach to make it rank better (which would involve purely technical changes to the site and maybe some more). Nobody cares really.

I, aswell as most of the remaining active player base, however, have spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours, on the "CURRENT" season.

Nope. Dude, you're ALWAYS in-game. Like frighteningly often. Every time I go to Hub, you're there. I think there just was one time you were not there.

I wanted to ask... Why are you standing there AND being online, responding to chat? What's the point? Are you like playing in a different window while keeping one screen devoted to hub chatting?

[/offtop]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:51:09 am by cthulchu »

Parabellum

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 02:36:17 am »
Seeing me there frighteningly often, prerequisite you, being there, frighteningly often aswell. You see, one thing you are alarmed about, is something, you are doing yourself, thus, you are alarmed about ? Wait.. what ? Yeah.. right.
Yeah, what a cuckery...

However, I will not justify myself before you, at all. You are not my boss.
Also, I will not further heat up the "Parabellum obsession train", consciously, as it's getting kinda objectionable every now and than.
I mean, I won't lie, I embraced it sometimes and even heated it up for the luls, but the tact seems to be changing, it's partially extremely personal (and always has been) wich you gotta expect when you are open minded.. but geez.. it might be the lack of other input/people, but it's really, really annoying (again) currently.

And it's also partially responsible, for me having deleted like 20 (former, obviously, with 10 active atm.) players from my disc. friendslist, as theres been cuckery like "we know you are online para" lmfao.
But whatever.. really, sometimes, some things just get super tiresome. And yeah, I ain't perfect (well, almost lmfao), I know I prolly done some tiresome stuff too.

But please.. geez.. I ain't asking you where you work, what country PLUS state PLUS city you live in neither, or how long per day you play, do I ? It really... ain't none of ye buisness, unless, we both would knew eachother, or you were my neighbour, or I considered you pal or even friend, right ?

Regarding the "very-very low results." Yeah... thats more of a useful information *sighs* thank you and all.