March 29, 2024, 09:49:59 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Solar scorcher thoughts  (Read 1123 times)

Blarney

• View Profile
Solar scorcher thoughts
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:13:47 am »
As a guy who used this weapon in excess last season, I can admit when combined with the old pyromaniac buffs, was way over the top in comparative potential for other similar weapons, one because nobody can build to tank its damage properly and two because it already had good damage rates (compared to say alien blaster and 223 pistol) before adding 50 flat damage to each hit. My first thoughts on it are that the new pyro should effect solars, as it makes building for them specifically, a bit more costly than other builds, and secondly because the damage buff has been greatly reduced from a minimum damage perspective (still needs super crits to be worth taking).

Other than those questionable notions though I want to get to the heart of my suggestion on solars, relative to a notion Veki brought up in another post, but put it here as it is a very specific suggestion;

Make 2 different solar scorcher weapons;
Why? Because solar currently is in a bit of a strange place as a weapon, too rare to be reliable in gathering, too strong to be common gear.

To what end?
Well we could have a basic version of it, that is comparable to plasma pistol, with its own benefits and downfalls when compared. Say if we took the solar scorcher stats as they are now, and reduced them, possibly forcing it to also use an ammo type (MFC I would think), give it less damage and range too, to make plasma pistol a viable choice against it.

Then have a t4 version of it (super solar scorcher mebbe?), which more accurately resembles the 223 pistol/gauss pistol logic in being a rare item for builds that use it, this version of the solar could be free ammo (reloaded only in day still), have stats more resembling the current solar (perhaps a bit better) and perhaps potentially come with random unique buffs seeing how it would be a t4 drop and rare as vindis or gauss.

Similarly I would think that the alien blaster could take up the function of being a t4 version of plasma pistols, rather than a semi rare item that it is now.

The end result is to have distinct choices and usages for these weapons which I know are quite niche already, but which at the very least I as a pistol sneak lover contemplate frequently;
You would have a comparative choice in play styles when choosing 223/gauss for one, in the benefits of extreme pistol range and penetration based focus, compared to the plasma pistol/alien blaster differences which could focus on being mid/high ranged but very high damage potential (as well as very low potential), and the solar/super solar focus could be on having much more reliable damage rates overall (with the lower resistances to fire in general), lower general ranges while having good max damage rates, which would still be lower than the potential damage of say an alien blaster super bypass crit.

Thoughts?