March 29, 2024, 02:32:44 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Sheilds.  (Read 1288 times)

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
Sheilds.
« on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:13 pm »
I know shields got recommended a long time ago, and most everybody poo-poohed the idea (MYSELF INCLUDED), soooo...

I was searching YouTube for Forgotten Weapons (omg, that guy is incredible), when I caught out of the corner of my eye.

Perfect? Uh... No, no not really. But... It worked. It worked better than my body armor back in the service did, in fact. Took a dedicated ARMOR PIERCING round to finally defeat it, and the non-armor piercing round is in fact bigger than a 7.62×51mm (might even be bigger than the 30 caliber used on the M-1 and prior rounds). My husband, after watching the video, started working on how to cut and form a couple of them into regular body armor, but in the mean time...
Uh... Ya.
WOW.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Sheilds.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 01:56:24 pm »
Nice shield :) But I don't think it would fit into FOnline. Maybe adding portable barricades would work better. But then again, a shield item that helps cut damage in half, or by a 1/3 at the cost of high crafting costs, and fast deterioration might be interesting.

I could see an item designed to stop at least 1 attack on the character, and then breaking. That might work out, but then again, people would just carry 10 of them, right? Unless they were super heavy.

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:25:28 pm »
I don't think it would fit into FOnline. Maybe adding portable barricades would work better.
I don’t even know what to say. I was like, “No, that’s impossible,” and now here it is, so… Ya.
But barricades are in Fallout (Tactics), so that’s a separate (easier) subject…
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 04:17:46 am »
A shield type item that you had to slot into your spare hand for it to work could be interesting for sure, only giving a buff from that position in inventory and deteriorating from there too.

For one it might be a good idea to have more items than motion sensors as a secondary slot item, to keep variety there, and for two it could also provide debuffs, like reducing your max chance to hit by 25% or something, so that it doesn't become a "must always have on all players at all times" type item.

As for players taking 10 of them, that's fine, you just need to balance how it is utilised, say if equipping it put you at -16 AP, so that fast (re)equipping during combat was just not viable, problem solved.

Cool idea in general that wouldn't necessarily ONLY apply to a riot shield too, could have it as a weird fallout tech item, think stealthboy item that is instead a plasma shield or whatever, and also think of other items, not just shields that could be utilised like this, as a secondary slot item.