April 20, 2024, 11:31:55 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Full loot/PvP/Economy suggestions  (Read 1248 times)

Iceforce

• View Profile
Full loot/PvP/Economy suggestions
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:16:17 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been casually playing FOnline for a long time now (my earliest post on an FOnline forum that I can remember is https://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,1624.0.html - which means around 9 years...Fuck, I'm getting old). I've been mostly focusing on the PvE aspect of the game. I was never part of any organized PvP, so any of my suggestions which relate to organized PvP should be taken with a grain of salt. Also, everything that follows, should be understood to begin with "In my opinion, ...".

This is a mix of suggestions, which I beleive would not work separately, hence the reason why I am posting them together. This is part of a larger list, most of which does not relate directly to FOnline Reloaded, but if there is interest I will post the rest. I don't want this post to become a "wall of text" though.

As a mainly PvE player my current grudges with the game are:
-No loss of items on death is stupid. There is no risk-reward decision making involved in almost any situation. The game quickly becomes boring after you have completed your main level (what is main level depends on your Int... so for the sake of sanity, let's say level 60 - that's how far I lasted this session before I started a new character) and basic gear progression.
-PvP is really great for the longevity of a game. No matter how complicated the PvE is, sooner or later, people will figure it out (unless you take the "game as a service" approach, i.e constant meta shifts and "balance" changes). PvP is great BUT...
-...forced PvP is REALLY stupid. Don't get me wrong, we all have our "hunting newbs makes my e-pen grow" moments, but this is the biggest mistake that FOnline has kept propagating during its development. Imagine the following situation - you have just completed a really hard encounter, you have 40 5mm AP left in your avenger, you have 2 action points, and you have 100 hp. Then a group of 3 people joins the encounter 5 hexes away from you... and you are dead. No if, but or maybe, this is a situation completely out of your control. I agree, in the rare cases that you manage to beat the odds it does feel nice, but in the end, the whole idea hurts the game more than it helps. New players aren't afraid to loose their stuff when they die, but it really sucks that you can get stomped without a chance to react. The game should encourage PvP (it currently doesn't), but not force it.

What I suggest is the following:
-Enable loss of items on death in non-town areas. Maybe keep your current armor (and helmet) and the items held in your hands.
-Enable loss of items on death in town areas during TC (drop everything on death).
-Disable passive resource acquisition (mining, junk collection, fibers and fruits in safe areas, etc...). The main ways to get resources should be scavenging and repeatable quests.
-Basic resources available from scavenging in towns (fibers, wood, junk, metal parts).
-Scavenging of advanced resource should only be possible in: random encounters, dungeons, PvP locations.
-Disable forced PvP. You can't meet other player on the world map.
-Make designated PvP areas, where players are encouraged to search for resources. Those can be the numerous "mini-dungeon" locations - Breakwater Farms, West Side Freeway, Abandoned Homestead, etc... Each location can focus on different type of resource. The way you get resources should be scavenging (and maybe loot), with a randomized cooldown to discourage camping.
-Nerf the drop rate of high tier gear (Combat Armor mkII, Avengers, LSW , etc...) in encounters. Make them spawn frequently in hard dungeons.  Highest tier gear (PA, HPA, APA, Bozar and such) acquisition rate is probably fine.