April 19, 2024, 06:25:35 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Pipboy quests stats  (Read 1690 times)

Programmer

Pipboy quests stats
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:51:33 am »
1. Split quests into 3 categories (better readability):
- in progress (all started quests which aren't completed)
- jobs offers / repeatable
- completed (obvious, non repeatable quests)

Example #1:
Code: [Select]
---------- In progress ----------
A Tent in the Wasteland
Collect the Radscorpion Eggs

---------- Jobs offers / repeatable ----------
Job offer: Deliver the Gun Runners Package
Job offer: Caravan Runs
Gun Runners Caravan Package
Explore the Stranded Ship

---------- Completed ----------
The Wasteland Band
Kill the Basement Rats

Example #2 (optional: mark main quest):
Code: [Select]
---------- In progress ----------
Vault 24 (MAIN QUEST)
A Tent in the Wasteland
Collect the Radscorpion Eggs

---------- Jobs offers / repeatable ----------
Job offer: Deliver the Gun Runners Package
Job offer: Caravan Runs
Gun Runners Caravan Package
Explore the Stranded Ship

---------- Completed ----------
The Wasteland Band
Kill the Basement Rats

2. Fix quest's details:
- "some" quests don't have description
- you can't read "some" descriptions because there is offset - when you click quest's title it opens other quest's details or nothing

3. Main quest:
- fix lack of description for each step (console's logs should appear in Pipboy too)

Slowhand

• Go for the eye, Boo! Go for the eyes!
    • View Profile
Re: Pipboy quests stats
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:04:19 pm »
NOTE: Just to avoid possible confusion, anything I say, does not represent the Reloaded dev team or this server. What I work on I share with them and everyone else in the FOnline community, usually on this forum as a suggestion and on fodev.net.

Quest tracking part lacks a lot. However I'm working on some UI updates, including a Quest Tracker. ETA this Christmas. Assuming that Reloaded decides to use it and they don't make one before that, you'll have it after that time. But generally I agree, that COROSIVE needs to fix his shit! I'm stuck at main quest as well because I lost track of what to do and where :( This made me realize, that the tools in this game is a big factor in new player retention, hence the let's improve the UI idea. Once I saw Fallout 1 again, downloading for free on steam, I realized this version is way ahead in functionality, but yet, so far away from any decent MMO. (Here I mean functionality and not the isometric view and other prehistoric tech.)

On this topic any suggestion is welcome for my little project, right now I am aiming for generic tools that can be configured, but let's say a static, first version would include:
- Active/Repeatable/Completed/Failed tabs, which blink when you receive a quest update. Clicking on these tabs would expand them, clicking again would contract them to header, and you can use a key to turn it off or on.
- Still thinking about resize, but it will definitely have a move and save location/state feature. By state I mean Off/Header/Expanded.
- All the quests would be sorted by location, think of it as a directory structure in windows, where if you click on the folder or '+' icon, it expands and shows the contents.
- I think at this point it's best to leave the pip boy mechanic and change to a better design code wise, but that means the more quests a server currently has, the more the writers have to work to update it for the tracker.
- I also think a more pop-up like feature is needed, like in Fallout 3, when you get the quest progress on the side of your screen for a few seconds.
- Draw elements will be used from interface folder and can be configured from ini, so people who use other skins, like that blue/black evil interface that I assume most people use, can merge the themes.

Current progress:

https://youtu.be/kh1KPqJRSrQ

Other IU updates I think are needed for this game are:
- Party/Clan chat: (Say what you want about immersion, that radio thingy sucks.) Be able to private message/ add as friend / add as ignore players via a pop-up menu from chat tab, just like any decent MMO.
- Reputation/Karma tab, so you see when you gain or loose reputation, and how much.
- Replacing of most hard coded UI's, for example the inventory, so one is able to see more stuff in their inventory screen, be able to see both body and head armor stats same time, etc.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »
Yeah this looks good, I hope it gets finished.

FLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »
I would say "sorry for necro", but it seems like posting anywhere on this forum is necroing, so I'm not sorry. It could use some life.

Back to topic. This is a great idea!
If there was two things I hated about original Fallout series, it was quests status in Pipboy, and unmarked quests.

It was pleasant surprise to see quests nicely described in FO:R. Sorting them would improve gaming experience for a new players like me a lot. It's not a joke. I hope this feature will be finished and implemented. Maybe sort them by location? That would be super convenient.

But please think about including currently unmarked quests into Pipboy. It may look trivial, but forcing players to write down quests on piece of paper in 2018 is a little bit ridiculous. I'm not criticising nor complaining, but it breaks immersion and is really upsetting for completionists.

Little things like that can turn off people, and this game has a huge potential.