April 19, 2024, 01:47:43 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Do you read literature  (Read 2470 times)

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Do you read literature
« on: August 27, 2017, 03:30:28 pm »
And I mean purely for enjoyment. Stuff you need for your diploma/degree/work doesn't count. Even if you enjoy it.

I have a theory, you see. It's pretty simple. People who read, develop their imagination. Once it's developed, it usually works a lot better than some very good and expensive game designers. Hence these people get more enjoyment from low-graphics games (pretty much like Fonline, or even console-based text games).

While we would have some people who don't read, we'll find that percentage of readers is abnormally high here.

(it also explains why we have no liberals here, kek)

PS

How do I create polls? Couldn't find the option...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:32:13 pm by cthulchu »

Ultred

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Do you read literature
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »
When i had time. Now just manuals and spec sheets.
"If I'm going to die for a word, my word is pussy." - Animal Mother

bayer monsanto

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 05:05:28 pm »
Books are not the only source of imagination, for me it contributes to my imagination the least. I don't read, in fact I can't read because my imagination does not allow it, I start thinking of other things and lose focus on the book. I only read textbooks to learn and gather facts from which I can build upon with the imagination. However, I do other creative stuff, I draw, design, and use creative CAD software on a daily basis. I use my imagination by creating. I'd rather be writing a book than reading one, I hate confines of others' imaginations.
But I can agree that imagination let's me have more fun from low graphics games, especially open world.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:59:21 am »
Yes, previously I was reading a lot Fantasy books, now I'm more focused on Post-apo books or books about life of soldiers/para-military.
GUN FOR HIRE

Programmer

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:15 am »
No, I don't read. Generally, I'd like to read more books but usually I'm tired and some kind of laziness comes to me and then I don't want to do anything else.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:20:53 am »
Yeah, just finished "New Brave World" by A. Huxley and "Currency Wars" by Song Hongbing.
William Gibson's novels are next on the list.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:10:40 am »
Aldous Huxley and George Orwell are TOP WRITERS. If you haven't already, read Brave New World, 1984 and Animal Farm, they are my recommendations. Amazing content.
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew:

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:48:33 pm »
1984 and Animal Farm, they are my recommendations. Amazing content.
Yeah I've read them years ago, good books. Especially 1984.

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:00 am »
I love Orwell a lot. All animals are equal but some are more equal than others. I would recommend Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco is a good thing. And, of coarse, Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha"

Ultred

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 03:39:56 pm »
"The Journeyer" by Gary Jennings is one of the best books ever.

"The Bhutlerian Jihad" by Brian Herbert

"Lord of the Flies" by Golding

"The Lost" by Dan Abnett

@madmatt Dude if you haven't already, read "Black Hawk Down". I watched the movie and later read the book. It's great. Don't ever read Van Klausawitz "On War" unless you need a nap. Or unless you need to understand the Geo-political climate for winning a war.

"If I'm going to die for a word, my word is pussy." - Animal Mother