April 19, 2024, 08:31:37 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Maps  (Read 1868 times)

ErnestGaskin

• View Profile
Maps
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:04:32 am »
Ok so this was suggested a bit a few pages ago but not to the extent im about to do.

Im talking introducing maps as a mean of itemizing (think outsourcing) of content introduction, as well as adding a variety to problem solving among players.

A map would be tiered (as any other), one use item that would, upon use, mark a location in the players pip boy. It would be an item of infinite possibilities, starting with easing the devs job of introducing new content (all he would have to do is "throw" a map to the mix), through giving players tons of stuff to do (from hunting for maps for profit to contracting help in solving quests) to adding a lot of spice in the wasteland with random map drops.

Imagine the dead body under the tree giving a map instead of a location, players could then sell the map on forums, stiring up the player economy and offering the way out of the grind when searching for the encounters.
Imagine looting randomest of maps from city map footlockers or magic lockers, letting you pick up an adventure instead of a piece of gear.
Imagine just plain buying of maps from trappers that would lead you to gecko breeding grounds, farmers that would sell their farms abandoned a long time ago for being over run by raiders, so on.

A problem with a certain component acquisition? Not anymore. Just ask some of the npcs for help, im sure trisha has tips on where a lot of junk might be scattered around, or where a lot of cars got stuck during the nuclear holocaust and who knows, might even yield a couple of FCCs.

Getting bored with your every day fonline? Not anymore, just pick up one of the random maps and head out.

All this with a single item.

Whoever has ever played path of exile can testify to the fact that the guys (GGG) made a wonderful job with pretty much itemizing their entire end game with a similiar (tho more complex) mechanic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:07:10 am by ErnestGaskin »

swinglinered

• View Profile
Re: Maps
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:12:19 am »
Good stuff!

Some maps should lead to ambushes, just to spice things up.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:08:07 am »
Isn't there a mechanic similar to this in FOnline 2 but in regards to dungeons?

I can not say that I support this idea despite the great depth you have created about it. My reason for this is that there already is a lot of new maps in regards to exploration. I know this because Corosive and I have made a good amount of them already, most of which already follow the design of having to be 'unlocked' or 'discovered.' How this will function is unknown to me, but to add some randomisation to the mix, and to create an even larger scope of needless maps for said randomisation is just objectionable.

Not to mention that this is Reloaded and not FOnline 2  :D
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew:

Seki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:16 am »
Isn't there a mechanic similar to this in FOnline 2 but in regards to dungeons?
No

I have spent few hundereds of hours in PoE so i understand what you mean.
I can imagine mapping system being implemented into fonline, you find map item somewhere (low chance to appear at barter/encounter npc/dungeons/lockers/whatever) and you use it in inventory. That would create private location on worldmap visible only for you and location dissapears after X hours. You could find different types of maps leading to different locations with all kind of randomized loot. Could be some raider camps, caves, abaddoned bases etc.. there could be alot of space to extend it with more/new maps. Inside of these maps (locations) you could find another harder and more challenging maps (items) with better rewards.

Theoretically its possible and sounds nice BUT i feel like this system does not fit into MMORPG game. It was created for ARPG for a reason, it goes against all of MMORPG aspects.
What makes mapping in ARPG interesting is progression, getting stronger and progressing through harder maps. But this wouldnt be a case in fonline because there is no progression. You dont get hp/perks after level 24 and even if you have 100 CAs you are still as powerful as with one. It would be just a chain of private locations allowing players to infinitely hoard loot in their own "bubble" with no interaction with other players.
Rather then that i think we need to encourage players to use public locations like towns or dungeons more often so i am against this idea.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:32:02 am by Seki »

Ultred

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »
I like the idea. It would make things more interesting. Speaking from the point of view of a man who doesnt have the time to spend leveling a character, buying a full set implants to pvp and beside ping being poor. It would definitely spice things up. People go to towns when they want to. Fo2 tried to get people into towns by having craft benches only available in towns but it only serves to annoy. If you look at world of Warcraft, arguably the most successful mmorpg, a lot of the player interaction happens via players banding together to attack npc populated dungeons.
"If I'm going to die for a word, my word is pussy." - Animal Mother

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 09:48:36 pm »
I like the suggestion, but I heard there's gonna be way more PvE content when wipe happens.

However if the maps were made rare, then it'll be very nice to see ingame. Like 2% chance of bounty hunters dropping a map to a military base or killing low level raiders to some raider camp. Lots of possibilities. And players would sell/buy these if the loot was worth it.

Rather then that i think we need to encourage players to use public locations like towns or dungeons more often so i am against this idea.

Most players avoid dungeons due to backstab or getting camped outside. Don't compare reloaded to FO2 cause everyone in FO2 uses dungeons to get PvP.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:32:20 pm »
I Like 2% chance of bounty hunters dropping a map to a military base.

I came about with a similar proposal some months gone past:

http://forum.fonline-reloaded.net/index.php?topic=11085.0

It's a shame that the powers that be cast it into the warp  :(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:34:48 pm by zekromo »
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew: