March 28, 2024, 06:23:48 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Running a private server  (Read 6277 times)

Agent M

• View Profile
Running a private server
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:58:53 am »
So, who else is running a private server? I've been playing solely on my private server since December and I have had a great deal of fun. I just got tired of being unable to safely enter unguarded towns and being afraid of getting pk'd in random encounters and losing all my hard-earned gear to some random asshole(s) even if I wasn't participating in any pvp action. Basically I had to avoid all other players, except low-level bluesuits. And since I wasn't interested in joining an existing faction I wouldn't have stood a chance anyway. I did help some new players who asked me for help and they all seemed like nice people but the vets only knew one rule: the wasteland is harsh. But no more bitching! On my own server I have been able to safely explore new quests and locations and obtain gear I would never have been able to get my hands on on a public server. I have been soloing dungeons, learning new tactics, making more efficient builds and safely leveling my characters. And as a bonus, I can mess with admin privileges if I want to fool around. I have not made any modifications to the game, but if I ever get into modding I can do whatever I want as far as my abilities go. However, the downside of running a private server is that I miss all the official updates, but I can live with that. The release of second session source was pretty much an answer to my prayers and I am enjoying FOnline now more than ever. A big thank you to the devs for doing that!

Please, discuss and share your own experiences.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
Re: Running a private server
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:25:32 am »
I have my own private server set up only to test the maps I create. The reason I don't play by myself on a single seperate server is because I prefer Reloaded being an MMO and not a single player RPG. Reloaded was built around being played online and with other people; as a matter of fact all of the FOnline servers have had this set in mind. However I do agree that having your own server has it's own advantages for each and every person who does set up one. It's good to see people having fun, no matter the form of game.
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew:

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:20 am »
Private server is good option for:
- beginners who want to learn the game, check all features including technical details without pression for being killed
- devs who want to test in game their work: maps, arts, scripts and other changes
- players who want to play in closed group for different gameplay: roleplay, training pvp or single player/co-op
- bored players who want to be gm for 5 minutes and make gm abuse

I play on my own server too, however playing with other players (even if you avoid them) is better experience. Do not avoid playing on public server. It is not hard to get tons of items and playing pve only ;)
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

Wichura

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:27:48 pm »
Quite important feedback that is. Also an answer to "what all those loners actually do on the server?". And, last but not least, proves a point of Toilet Control feature being a complete crap, blocking whole location for the sake of having "fun" for a few bunches of whining clowns barely anyone cares about.

I've spent way too much time with this or that FOnline server, so for me personally it's quite easy to avoid other players if I don't want to meet them. This however comes with experience, newcomers won't get it from day one. And it's a bit strange MMO type of game, with one of these M's standing for Multiplayer I believe.

Agent M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 02:17:20 pm »
Thank you all for your replies. I'm not overly attached to my gear and I don't actually care about losing items that are just pixels after all, although I admit that I'm a bid of a hoarder. The actual problem was that I didn't have much time at the time, so grinding good gear and then losing it in seconds was more of an issue. It felt like I wasted my time on the boring grind and missed the more fun parts of actually using that gear. And I do admit that succesfully blasting other players is way more fun than gunning down common raiders etc. Boy was it fun when a player attempted to kill me in an encounter but I barely survived and blew him to pieces instead. :D That makes multiplayer games so much fun. Now I have way more time to play than I did a few months ago, so it's not completely out of the question to play on the public server too. The other issue I have is that the public server is wiped every now and then and all the progress I've made gets lost. Once again it feels like a pointless waste of time to spend countless hours of my precious spare time on leveling characters and obtaining gear, only to have it all wiped away and being back to square one again. I guess I need to learn to enjoy the ride and just have fun without an army of high-level characters and super duper gear. :P

Hungry Hungry Shark

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 02:53:29 pm »
you just need to learn how to obtain levels and gear fast, pvp apes can be pvp ready hours after wipe

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »
And after 2 weeks they already have everything and start waiting for next wipe :D Every fonline need to be wiped earlier or sooner because in long term gameplay is boring.

Ihmo the best is early game after wipe, I can replaying the game like replaying old Fallouts ;)
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

PrebaTHC

• khans are shit
  • khans are shit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 04:26:56 pm »
jarok +1 once again
_________________00___________________...
________________0000__________________...
____0__________000000___________0_____...
____00_________000000___________0_____...
_____0000______000000__________00_____...
_____000000____0000000_____00000______...
__0_____0000000_000000_00000000___0___...

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 05:21:27 pm »
I run one because I'm the type of person who has to modify everything and play with it, even if that breaks it.

Sometimes you have to actually make suggested changes and play with them to get an idea of whether they're worth it or not. Plus it's fun, and no pressure.

Oni das Alagoas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »
How can I run a private server?

Seki

• View Profile

Oni das Alagoas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:05 pm »
Thanks Seki.