April 29, 2024, 01:31:05 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Is Fallout 3 bad?  (Read 4601 times)

TKs-Mantis

• Supporter
  • Kept you waiting huh?
    • View Profile
    • TKs-Mantis YouTube Channel
Is Fallout 3 bad?
« on: May 30, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
It has been nearly 10 years since Fallout 3 was released, but was it actually good?

Lucky man

• Twój stary rowerzysta, grochówka w bidonie
    • View Profile
Re: Is Fallout 3 bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 04:02:05 pm »
Nope, im think is good :P

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:06:01 pm »
No, it wasn't. Fallouts legacy ended with Black Isle and Interplay on last true Fallout 3 called Van Buren. New Fallouts from Skyrimthesda are just mods for The Elder Scrolls, and harsh wasteland looks now like some kind of neonoir fuckin' Sci-fi full of robots lasers and shit games taking place on some rocky/desert planet than real postapocalyptic ashes of USA after nuclear holocaust. Last game with tons of PA is truly best thing they could do to turn this beautiful legacy started after first Wasteland into big mountain of Brahmins crap.

P.s. maybe it's not bad game as just game, but it's bad as fallout successor.
Anyway it's my opinion, and hey...you asked for it :D

Anyway good video as always Mantis.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:10:30 pm by Mad Matt »
GUN FOR HIRE

Awgy

• Supporter
  • Because of the reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:10:20 pm »
F3 was a decent game but New Vegas was like C&C Renegade, do to being lore friendly it felt like getting in same universe. F3 was like yeah lets grab this and this and shove it on other side of continent in case we fuck it up. Even tho I enjoyed F3 after some time, there was so many things that annoyed me as a fan of isometric fallouts BoS and Enclave should never pop in east coast, it does not make any sense. Vegas was a savior of this new franchise, and I wish next thing after F4 will be again made by Obsidian.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:38:44 pm »
Fallout 3 was the game that got me into fallout as a whole. I remember being 14 getting it for the first time long after it had first came out and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it. Of course it being the first game I played, but not the first game in the franchise, I had a different perspective of fallout entirely until I got fallout 2. Now fallout 2 on the other hand was different basically because of the isometric style it had and not first person. It was different but at the same time extremely enjoyable, and so from then on I went and played every single fallout title that I could get my hands on.
     However I now know fallout like I guess I should know, and I have to say that fallout 3, despite being great, was in fact needless and did not exactly fit into the series of locations previously visited in the past games. For example we go from west coast to east coast for no reason besides "a fresh breath of air" and there is also no interconnected story to the previous games. We are just dropped into Washington and surrounding area to find our father. New Vegas, on the other hand, did fix that problem for me as it felt like a blast from the past to fallout 1 and 2. I have to congratulate Bethesda and especially Obsidian for that one.
     But in the end fallout 4 was the absolute pinnacle of disaster in the fallout series. We went from intricate detailed story and dark rpg ambiance to a fancy pants apocalyptic fps where the only real aim was to upgrade guns and armour to fps for longer. The fact that getting power armour previously required a lot of time, effort and dedication but is now able to be received in under 10 minutes of starting is utterly disgraceful to the series as a whole. I have so much to spit on fallout 4 but this is not forum PvP about which game is the best.
So imo orginal fallout > fallout nv > fallout 3 > latest garbage
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew:

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:21:23 am »
Obsidian will not make new Fallout game, at least what I read.

Fallout 3 is nice game, only when you play with mods. My personal ranking is Fonline, Fallout 2 Restoration Project, Fallout 1, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, Fallout Tactics. I do not play Fallout 4 and Fallout Brotherhood of Steel (ps2 game) but both of them are garbage. Maybe Fallout 4 will be fun, if it is modded :)

The worst Fallout is shit for ps2...
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

Fantastic

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 07:48:18 am »
Fallout 3 definitely isn't a bad game, it's actually a pretty good game, just not as good as others in the series.

Fallout New Vegas is definitely my favourite of the Bethesda/Obsidian era of Fallout as it felt closest to the originals.

Fallout 4 is not a shit game, IMO; it's just not a good Fallout game. I played it for 50 hours and pretty much hit a ceiling with it. I'm not gonna complain about a game which I got 50 hours of enjoyment out of.

Wolfhound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:27 am »
I don't mind Fallout 3, but it just doesn't ft the atmosphere and survival-like feeling of Fallout 1 and 2. It's Bethesda, you'd expect a shitty story every once and a while, with that one being the whole father and son cliche you'd expect. In Fallout 1, you've drawn the short straw and left to seek a water chip to save your Vault, meeting characters of importance and a rich filled atmosphere. With Fallout 4 out of the door, I'm starting to think if Fallout itself is fucked and beyond saving.

Awgy

• Supporter
  • Because of the reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 10:31:01 am »
Obsidian will not make new Fallout game, at least what I read.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:16:10 pm »
+1 to Mad Matt's opinion on Fallout 3. 100% spot on mate, I couldn't have worded it better myself.

The worst Fallout is shit for ps2...

Well, to be fair, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel was like a cross between Baulders Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Fallout.

It wasn't so bad if you were a fan of the D&D games, fallout, you had downs syndrome, autism, mental retardation, blind in both eyes, had 7 terminal brain tumors, and had diabeetus.

If you fit that criteria, it wasn't too bad.

Who am I kidding? I would rather slit my grandmother's throat and dump her blood on a black candle pentagram than play that horrendous excuses of a Fallout game EVER again.

Dr. Mengelito

• Supporter
  • Oh Slash, it's TKs!
    • View Profile
    • Khanscentral
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 01:12:02 am »
I grew up with fo1 and 2 and they are great. I've went back and played them once more in recent years but it's not like I would pick either of them up and play them casually like with NV or fo3 that I spent hundreds of hours on. DLCs for both games are amazing, especially Point Lookout, The Pitt, OWB and Dead Money. Played through fo4 once, teleporting institute cannibal, as the game ended I felt like I had played some stale gears of war or something. I never booted the game up again.

"The infiltration took a huge toll on my physical and mental health; I was haunted by nightmares of being exposed to the faction I was infiltrating, other nightmares being of Mengelito." -Lash 2016

Grizzanmk2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 10:33:36 am »
>bethesda
>good

Pick one, Mantis
No, it wasn't. Fallouts legacy ended with Black Isle and Interplay on last true Fallout 3 called Van Buren.
Spoiler: show
RIP 2238

2238mudcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 04:31:12 am »
I remember playing Fo3 after years of waiting and being a fan of F1/2. I really tried to hate it, but in the end I still played it and enjoyed it. It isn't a bad game in itself, it's just a bad Fallout game and gives the previous titles bad rep. I didn't play Oblivion before Fo3 so I didn't feel like it was "oblivion with guns" but later when I played Oblivion, I immediately understood that. For me the best part of F1/2 were the dialogues and the story, fighting was the most boring part and I hated doing new runs in Fo2 because I always had to get through the Temple of Trials. When you are a 12 year old kid, F1/2 is the best thing that can happen to you. It's like a book but an interactive one and you can really get immersed in the story. Actually, it has a lot of features of a book: it has lots of letters, it has a story and you discover something new everytime you read it again.

Dialogues in Fo3 were really laughable, the voice over was annoying as hell too - I can read it 5 times faster than your pathetic voice actor. Bethesda used like 10 voice actors in total in the entire game, but the game had hundreds of NPCs so you would hear the same voices over and over again. They used voice overs only for the really important characters in F1/2 for a reason.

Fo3 felt really shallow. I don't think I can recall a single quest, a single NPC worth remembering. There was a ghoul that ordered you to arm the bomb in a town that built itself around it. I just remembered that and I really had to dig in. The idea of a town built around the bomb is so retarded anyway. It's like they didn't count on a player to figure out what the game is about, "Yeah, we'll put a bomb and build an entire TOWN around it so that our clients know what caused the destruction!". On the other hand F1/2 had a lot of interesting characters and quests, years after playing it I still remember Marcus and miners of BH, Tandi and V15 issues, Chosen One, GECK, Torr and his moo-moo, Gizmo trying to take over Junktown, Harold, New Rano mafia wars etc. it feels like I have read a good novel. Now that I recalled these stories I can say that F1/2 was much deeper than when I perceived it as a kid. Every town had its own interesting story, Vault City made me feel sorry for those living outside the walls (now I know they were rapefugees), Broken Hills tried to portray the struggle of different races living together, NCR which thought of itself as the good guys but that didn't stop them from profiting from slavery etc.

If you think about it, Fo3 really was a piece of shit and a lousy cashgrab.

Jish the small

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 08:18:18 am »
if we could rename it to something else and change faction names it would be a good game

its not a good fallout game

killer1986chris

• May your death at my hands be painless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 01:11:46 am »
As mentioned already it's a good game, but NOT for the Fallout universe.