April 27, 2024, 04:53:26 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Weather effects? [AoP style] Engine and performance issues  (Read 1878 times)

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
While I was playing on AoP, I have seen nice looking weather effects such as rain and desert storm. Both of these effects probably affect on player condition, his/her aiming, fov, moving and so one. I am thinking about topic and ihmo Reloaded should have something similar. Improved rain same like in AoP (darker light) with some effects could give different experiences and impact on gameplay. Just random everywhere: cities, random encounters, bases, tents, quests places. Look how you could adjust atmosphere on specific places. Heavy rain in Den at night or creepy, quest place.

The main question is how those sexy effects affect performance issues? Can we get weather effects without losing fps? Can people with wooden pc play comfortable?

For me:
+ variety and sexy effects
+/- open path for modifing combat aspects (probably hard to balance)
+ better immersion
+ something new in this 7 years old fonline-like game

- performance issues, fps
- hard to code  (?), ask for AoP stuff?

Let me know what are you thinking.

I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
Re: Weather effects? [AoP style] Engine and performance issues
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 10:26:42 pm »
As for a good start I would start with changing FoV and hit chance at night :)

Second add nnight vision to some guns.
GUN FOR HIRE

FrankenStone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:14:47 am »
please no ugly shaders in reloaded , thats not how you create atmosphere in a fallout game, maybe you should replay the classic game sin 800x400 resolution and watch for yourself what creates atmosphere...

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:18:02 am »
please no ugly shaders in reloaded , thats not how you create atmosphere in a fallout game, maybe you should replay the classic game sin 800x400 resolution and watch for yourself what creates atmosphere...

Well, but you admit that night should have impact on shooting ?
GUN FOR HIRE

The Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:56:55 pm »

YES! As it did on the original games :)

FrankenStone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 04:29:13 pm »

YES! As it did on the original games :)

thanks for helping me out ;)

to matt, yes like in original games, original fallout had some plain cth calculation malus when its dark, maybe you should replay it ;)

btw i was never a fan of this maluses (the idea is not bad tho since you have to deal with sightrange in fonline engine) you gain in aop from this 4 different set times (night night night w.e. they had in mind), its not only plain chance to hit calculation malus its way beyond retarded lowering your sightrange so hard that certain character builds become totally useless. it needs adjusting to become enjoyable, because some gamemechanic which destroys your character at certain times without any ingame tool/s (items e.g. nightvision etc.) to do anything against it is total crap imo.

furthermore i gave them some ideas to improve this mechanic, just look up the aop forum... i suggested soemthing like keeping PE more intact with the sightrange and just give it a harsher base to hit malus so you could still see enemies from far away but without any good chance of hitting them since i do understand PE in fonline/fallout universe as something not only eyerelated sense. but they said they have their own plans and this was 1 year ago or something i dont know, i havent seen their plans till now :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:49:43 pm by FrankenStone »

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 05:46:36 pm »
Well, AoP is subject for another thread. They had many good ideas etc, but turned this game into bring tier 9 gun or die....
I miss more variety in guns and useful JHP ammo as it was before wipe
GUN FOR HIRE

FrankenStone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »
shit happens when you got no concept