March 29, 2024, 11:28:02 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Was idea of 3D models for Fonline abandoned?  (Read 5210 times)

2238mudcrab

• View Profile
Was idea of 3D models for Fonline abandoned?
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:31:18 am »
What happened to all the 3D models made in 2238 era? Are they no longer hip?

Barneys

• View Profile
Re: Was idea of 3D models for Fonline abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:14:09 am »
No

Envoyé de mon XT1032 en utilisant Tapatalk

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:30:51 am »
3d became problematic in the long run. What was the point in having custom 3d models for a non-custom themed game? If we went 3d we might as well make our own brand new game and sell it lol. There were also some engine issues, I believe. It's meant to be a 2d game, 3d support wasn't 100%. Just think of Ultima Online and their 2d vs 3d client that was included; nobody played 3d.

Besides 3d looked like poop, and only having a few 3d items/critters felt out of place. That's just my opinion though, the other devs might have a different perspective.

Here's a debate worthy of chat!

If we made our own independent game what would it be about? Online mmorpg? Offline? Coop? Discuss!

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 01:02:45 pm »
Plus, the 3D creatures made anyone and everyone's frame rate drop to shit.

The Rotators abandoned the idea because FOnline 2238 had already hit a depression. The playerbase was steadily dropping and the donations just weren't coming in. The server crash-landed in hell, where it survived for one last session, before taking its last miserable breath.

But it wasn't over. Nononono.... The survivors fought and clawed there way from the abyss to the wasteland surface, just to find MORE SERVERS.

1/5 of the survivors moved to FOnline 2, where they find themselves in a rut, unable to leave that horrible place.

2/5 of the remnants moved to FOnline Reloaded, a safe haven from the harshness of the other areas.

No one really knows what happened to the other 2/5 of the 2238 survivors. Some say they moved further east, to the Russian servers.... Some say, they had such bad PTSD from 2238, they just keeled over. Who knows what really happened?

But anyways, yeah that's what happened to 2238 after the "3D era" hype.

Koniko

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »
3D caused performance and stability loss. Not mentioning even the fact that it basicly made the game looking even uglier than it is now. 3D models dont fit the game - camera pov issues and zoom.

Regarding models only u may find them on fodev.net

Some are still ingame like paashturs.

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:31:05 pm »
Some are still ingame like paashturs.

Huh? Paashturs are not 3D. As far as I'm aware, all the 3D creatures are removed/replaced with 2D.

Rancor

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:35:40 pm »
I don't even know why 3d is even an appealing idea in regards to Fonline, running around with runescape looking characters makes me want to upchuck.

With sprites atleast you can make a high poly count model into a couple of thousand sprites and implement without taxing anybodies gaming experience when the majority of the demographic have potato computers.

And incase you haven't noticed, 3d modellers don't grow on trees, the pipeline for texturing, :Uv unwrapping, photoshop skillz. or rendering the models made,the amount effort that would be required to make this game into 3d, the developers wouldn't even be able to afford it and if they could, they wouldn't want to.

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:01 pm »
And incase you haven't noticed, 3d modellers don't grow on trees, the pipeline for texturing, :Uv unwrapping, photoshop skillz. or rendering the models made,the amount effort that would be required to make this game into 3d, the developers wouldn't even be able to afford it and if they could, they wouldn't want to.

+1. That's pretty much what happened in 2238. The donations weren't coming in, and those cheapskates DEFINITELY weren't trying to pay out of their pockets. Don't blame them though kek.

P.S. Don't h8 on r00nsc8pe m8 I'll rek u

2238mudcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 03:44:28 am »
I don't even know why 3d is even an appealing idea in regards to Fonline, running around with runescape looking characters makes me want to upchuck.

With sprites atleast you can make a high poly count model into a couple of thousand sprites and implement without taxing anybodies gaming experience when the majority of the demographic have potato computers.

The models looked 100% the same after adding post-processing grain and slowing them to 16 FPS.

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 08:17:02 am »

The models looked 100% the same after adding post-processing grain and slowing them to 16 FPS.

I am of exactly the same opinion. Models exported from van buren demo were really bad but later on there were new-made improved which looked similar to sprites (the same body, animations). Some of people were working on it, too bad the project was abandoned. It was too early to use 3d but if they got more love, they would be viable.

I would like to recommend browse archives http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/board,31.0.html?PHPSESSID=h1rsum7r5qcg34d6jdu8n1uor6
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 08:24:23 pm »
We have no interest in 3d development for FOnline, sorry. It's meant to be played in 2d. Maybe we could use static 3d images for stuff, but it's unlikely. Wipe is a strong believer in consistency.  If we were to focus our attention on 3d we would just make a brand new game and sell that shit on steam.

Rancor

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 10:19:37 pm »
Someone might buy it too if it didn't look like runescape after the 3d crew is done with it. You know there's something wrong when you see a guy with only less than 5 faces of decimated polygon.

Flyntt

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »
Engine can't handle 3D too well. Or whatever the word is for it.
Even on alright PCs it caused lag whenever you encountered a 3D critter.
I guess they took the 3D images from the models and turned them into sprites, hence why pashtuurs are still a thing.

The bastards.

MickDick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 02:52:38 am »
A long time ago someone made FOnline server for a while that used all combat, mechanics and sprites from Fallout Tactics.

It worked perfectly, surprisingly.

Not sure why no one else hasn't simply done the same.  Better than working on entire new 3D assets for entire game when you have great looking assets from game that looks very similar as fallout 1/2 that are fully finished so as to not be in need of further development (more work needed for running animations on black guy for example) yet looked good and very appropriate, and did not clash with the rest of the artwork.

It's very funny and sad to have all that 3D work wasted when all the work necessary had already been done and professionally too.

edit:  Come to think of it, wasn't the reason that Tactics server stopped was because of a DMCA from Bethesda?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:57:28 am by MickDick »

DarkWeek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 09:53:51 pm »
I don't want to see FOnline in 3D. Like Corosive said, might as well make a new game at that point.