March 29, 2024, 05:30:18 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Changelog 07/04/2016  (Read 16745 times)

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Changelog 07/04/2016
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 09:34:49 am »
Sure hope the massive drop in onliners will not be permanent...this little experiment has cost the server players I'm afraid. It was a terrible idea to let it go on this long. I say this not to point fingers but because I have been here loyally for years and I am not happy when it declines. Maybe consider being public about planned experiments and set the time frame in public before just rolling it out and strongarming it. As much as we love Reloaded we should be informed of radical experiments like this instead of rumors causing people to seek other avenues of entertainment. You should be way more public with your thoughts and especially in this case. I wonder if you decided on a whim after seeing online numbers dropping to stop the experiment or it was planned?

If we published all planed changes in advance, then we would end up making no changes at all. With *every* possible change, there would be a significant amount of crying and rageposts. Sometimes when I posted a changelog few hours before update, crying already started "noooo wtf don't do it shitty change shitty update blah blah blah" and all sorts of fonline experts who already knew what will happen (and it didn't). Simply not worth it.

Desperation is never good in fonline development and changes can't be made just because several people got pissed off because they took dusty PA from their tents and it got melted.

If somebody wants to play other game, he's free to do it and it's his choice. People come and go. We didn't advertise this game since 2013, and when we did, it had as many as ~450 people online max. Two weeks before that, there were many fonline experts who were telling us that "nobody will play this shit because xyz".
Some people will leave to try other fonline servers, some people will soon join Ashes of Phoenix, others will appear from nowhere, and others will quit to play other games or real life.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 11:45:06 am »
Well, as I'm near end with writing my engineer work in labs I have almost no time for playing. Anyway, soon after I will finish it I'm planning to play both AoP and Reloaded. As Kilgore said, if you are bored, angry or anything else you can leave and come back another time.

P.S. I hope you will not wipe server until September cause I want to end my project for Reloaded.
GUN FOR HIRE

PaRiAh the Scalper

• SoloCreep
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 07:00:56 pm »
Testing anything on the server for a week can only bring new ideas, and i personally think more of the suggestions should have a week to try out, and expand the games mechanics
Solve et coagula LONG LIVE BASTARD BEARD (Remember the Night Rider)!!!!

Celis Langmaid

• The Chosen Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 08:01:39 pm »
There should definitely be a no loot area and that should be the area around hub, when you are in the no loot area it should say world map and when you leave a warning message should appear.

I would also move Barter Ground to this area.

I say no to this because first, it allows higher leveled players to hunt lower leveled players and take their stuff, further pushing them towards rage quitting and not coming back. And secondly, Barterground is supposed to be a loot-free, PvP-free place to buy/sell items/vehicles, and one forced encounter while leaving that area could very well mean you lose all your caps/bought items if another player finds you/is patrolling the area.

All in all, this is just a bad idea. I think looting should be, if anywhere, around Glow, Navarro, Reno, and extended in a 3x3 square radius around every dungeon except for Vault 15.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 08:41:53 pm »
I would argue that Vault 15 should follow your mechanics of looting too. Ares and Glow are dungeons just like Vault 15 but for more experienced players - Vault 15 is just the equivalent for younger players starting out "dungeoneering." It is no good to disable looting in Vault 15 because it will trigger that same expectation towards the grander dungeons out there and will put them off completely when they realise what is actually there. But I do like your idea of looting and the radius around these locations. It is certainly... interesting.
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew:

Celis Langmaid

• The Chosen Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 09:29:45 pm »
I would argue that Vault 15 should follow your mechanics of looting too. Ares and Glow are dungeons just like Vault 15 but for more experienced players - Vault 15 is just the equivalent for younger players starting out "dungeoneering." It is no good to disable looting in Vault 15 because it will trigger that same expectation towards the grander dungeons out there and will put them off completely when they realise what is actually there. But I do like your idea of looting and the radius around these locations. It is certainly... interesting.

Vault 15 is a different case because it holds...well, unique crap is the best way to put it. Unique Leather Jackets and Metal Armors, and below. Very rarely a Combat Armor MK I. Looting should be disabled here not only because this stuff is almost worthless to more experienced players, but also because this dungeon is a learning curve. If you absolutely have to make it a loot area, it should only be on the last floor where the vast majority of loot spawns.

There should be an NPC in each town that has a dungeon near it that explains what's in the dungeon, the dangers, and around what level you should be to attempt it/how many people you need in a group. The exception to this is Ares, because it has no "nearby" towns. That way, if they do die in the dungeon, they lose all right to complain about difficulty.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 09:50:42 pm »
Yes exactly; it is a learning curve therefore not enabling loot is disrupting the whole nature of the learning curve. Yes it offers pathetic loot, but what experienced player is going to go to Vault 15 anyway? To player kill a level 28 crafter/farmer build in metal armor mk2? Those who are going to vault 15 are there for the lessons and experience in the dungeoneering aspect of the game. I dont think the looting system should be switched off just because the rewarding loot is bad; the experience needed to get down there for a learner/new player is what counts.
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew:

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 01:16:32 am »
An insurance system based upon level would keep more players playing.

If you ask me if a player doesn't already have a tent made, upon death they should spawn with one. There's no issue if the game is flooded with tents since they're easy to make, and limited at some point.

There's no point in having a learning curve when the only thing you really need to know is how to get friends, and join a faction.

Looting being enabled in arenas would fix most issues people have with PVP, and losing all their assets. And frankly for most casuals this should be enforced as it is in all the major MMORPG's Like Runescape. Simply no one loses what they don't want to risk. Making it the otherway around where only a few arenas will let you keep all your stuff just makes it more elitist where the end game players keep more and more of their stuff.

I'm not saying disable PVP, but since the stuff is worthless to you anyway and you keep whining about players leaving after they lose their stuff why not just let em keep it one way or another? Either by having zones that people don't lose loot in, or by not losing loot based on level(below eligibility for PVP or actually being a threat).
In Maintenance Mode.

Nithira

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 04:55:43 am »

dying hurts experienced players not much (because they have more resources and know how to get new ones easily), but it's extremely harsh for newbs and casual,

Add percent loss of total character experience on death. New players will have a low penalty for dying, but higher level players will lose lots more experience. This will invert the situation of the newest players receiving the harshest consequences.

Celis Langmaid

• The Chosen Ones
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 06:47:23 am »
If you ask me if a player doesn't already have a tent made, upon death they should spawn with one. There's no issue if the game is flooded with tents since they're easy to make, and limited at some point.

There's a tent quest already. And that's not stopping spam account creation and use of the ~suicide command for more experienced players to stockpile tents and "sell" them to new players.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:44 am »
New session has an optional tutorial location for newbies, and after they leave it, they will have a tent.

Add percent loss of total character experience on death. New players will have a low penalty for dying, but higher level players will lose lots more experience. This will invert the situation of the newest players receiving the harshest consequences.
This was my initial plan but after doing some calculations it became obvious that it's hard to balance and too harsh for high level characters (100+, not mention 200+ or 300+, and yes, there are many such characters in game). High level character would lose like 1/2 or more of experience needed for next level even if the penalty was as low as 0.15% of total experience. It would be really annoying for those who like some PvP activities. Instead of it, the penalty will be based on experience needed for next level, so even if you die a lot in PvP then a caravan run or two will fix it. Might be not even needed because success in PvP activity will give some exp as well.

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 08:59:37 am »

There's a tent quest already. And that's not stopping spam account creation and use of the ~suicide command for more experienced players to stockpile tents and "sell" them to new players.
The problem are players who die before they can set their tent back up. Commands aren't well known, and its an added insult to the player who got PK'd to delete their character. This is where many players probably rage. When it could be prevented if they simply can't lose their first tent from the quest. Newbies shouldn't be expected to be experts. That'd be poor game design.
In Maintenance Mode.

zekromo

• 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 02:39:43 pm »

The problem are players who die before they can set their tent back up. Commands aren't well known, and its an added insult to the player who got PK'd to delete their character. This is where many players probably rage. When it could be prevented if they simply can't lose their first tent from the quest. Newbies shouldn't be expected to be experts. That'd be poor game design.
That is the whole expectation of new players these days unfortunately :( How will they know about the tent quest if they are completely new to the game?  :facepalm

Also what experienced player would be so resourceful soulless to stockpile tents just to sell? I have not seen such a case.
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 Moloch 👑 👑 👑
👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Represent Discord Crew:

Hungry Hungry Shark

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 03:29:59 pm »
experience loss after death is a very bad idea

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 05:27:43 pm »

That is the whole expectation of new players these days unfortunately :( How will they know about the tent quest if they are completely new to the game?  :facepalm

Also what experienced player would be so resourceful soulless to stockpile tents just to sell? I have not seen such a case.
Unlike commands, The tent mission gives a notice, and a new market on the map. While newbies are just as likely to enter TB/flares most find themselves doing the quest, though they might just shoot the farmers and leave. Still I believe newbies should never lose their first tent until they set it up.

No experienced player would sell tents, because they don't stack, and are rather common. They're usually bent on shooting first anyway. Since newbies don't have good stuff to trade, and if they did it could be taken more easily.

EXP loss from dying is a bad idea if it comes out of current EXP, if it comes from a % debuff on exp gains it's still bad. But not nearly as much as losing all the loot on your body.
In Maintenance Mode.