March 28, 2024, 03:23:28 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Changelog 07/04/2016  (Read 16740 times)

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Changelog 07/04/2016
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:49 pm »
Changelog 07/04/2016

Changes in the previous update have been reverted:
- Full loot enabled (players drop everything on death!),
- Weapon drops on the ground after a proper critical hit,
- PvP steal enabled again.

BE CAREFUL! With full drop enabled again, you will lose all items you're carrying if you get killed. We will not refund any lost items.

Explained here.

Yep, the "April Fools update" will be reverted tonight.  It's been a week of testing this experiment and for now it's enough.

The results were not very surprising to me, I discussed it with few players in the past (thanks Seki and others) and conclusions were pretty close to what happened. More PvP and more action because less risk involved, but with less risk/reward involved the gameplay loses some thrill, especially that with no drop, the game loses some depth and this would need to be covered with more types of activity, as much in PvE as in PvP.

The next thing is that dying needs to have a penalty that hurts more or less. With full loot enabled, dying hurts experienced players not much (because they have more resources and know how to get new ones easily), but it's extremely harsh for newbs and casual, that's why they don't try some parts of the game at all or just ragequit. We have some ideas how to change it and we will try it in next season, where we can introduce large changes in other areas as well.

The problem with FOnline in general is that it's a full loot game for hardcore players. Players come and go, many ragequit very fast and it's extremely visible from perspective of any admin. Since Reloaded started, we've been trying to make the game easier for casuals and newbs and this game is much more newcomer-friendly than FOnline: 2238 ever was. We'll still follow this path.

Thanks for opinions and for participating in this (involuntary) test  ;)

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
Re: Changelog 07/04/2016
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:23:45 pm »
Very nice. Might as well keep using my t4 anyways. Wipe is soon right?

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:25:37 pm »
Wipe is never soon before it gets announced or at least beta test starts.

ribbit989

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:42:29 pm »
So how about have a certain level where they can't be looted like perhaps level 10 12 or 14. Not sure how easy that would be but just an idea.

emrebnk

• pfft
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:54:44 pm »
So how about have a certain level where they can't be looted like perhaps level 10 12 or 14. Not sure how easy that would be but just an idea.

Like Kilgore said before, it can be easily abused by other players.

C.H.A.R.L.I.E

• Supporter
  • stereotypical hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 10:08:43 pm »
I discussed it with few players in the past (thanks Seki and others)

uh oh ...

Spoiler: show

so this will be like a tutorial server for noobs?

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 05:50:40 am »

Sure, you can play it anytime.

Koniko

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 07:56:15 am »

Sure, you can play it anytime.

caper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 01:33:01 pm »
Sure hope the massive drop in onliners will not be permanent...this little experiment has cost the server players I'm afraid. It was a terrible idea to let it go on this long. I say this not to point fingers but because I have been here loyally for years and I am not happy when it declines. Maybe consider being public about planned experiments and set the time frame in public before just rolling it out and strongarming it. As much as we love Reloaded we should be informed of radical experiments like this instead of rumors causing people to seek other avenues of entertainment. You should be way more public with your thoughts and especially in this case. I wonder if you decided on a whim after seeing online numbers dropping to stop the experiment or it was planned?

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 02:16:21 pm »

U Stole my idea u cheeky breeky bugger! I made this weeks ago!

zato1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »
thank you kilgore, this is the right choice imo.

i know my opinion doesnt mean much but i promise i speak from an unbiased non-ego driven perspective. i only want this server to get better, and succeed. no other server has come close to matching the "fonline experience" that reloaded has.

the no loot thing can work to create more action, but i think it simply detracts too much from the thrill of the gameplay to have loot removed entirely, but its a good idea that has some merit.

that being said, there are other alternatives to reducing death penalty while still keeping the game hardcore loot.

asheron's call had a very interesting system called death items. death items were high money value items (diamond necklaces, gold rings, other types of items in this category) that dropped in place of your armor, weapons or other gear if you carried these things in your inventory at the time you died. this proved to be a very popular mechanic because it allowed players to essentially purchase insurance for powerful and rare PVP items, helping to nullify some of the penalty of dying in PvP.

now these death items didn't work every time, but often enough that it helped create a functional economy where goods had non-inflating ingame money value that helped to maintain the overall background economy for a long, long time by providing both a time and money sink (in our case, caps sink) to players.

im not saying this could or should work in fonline, but just merely stating an example of a very successful anti-penalty system from another popular hardcore pvp title, that helped to ultimately keep casuals and veterans alike interested in the game long-term by providing them a simple yet important mechanic for which they could grind, kill, or craft to get items that functioned as "pvp insurance".

some of the most valuable death items in asheron's call were more valuable than the most epic pvp loot, because having them meant you could wear the most powerful items in pvp without much fear of giving them to your opponent upon death.

elemenope

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 04:33:35 pm »
i do think that no-loot has a place in fonline, i enjoy fighting in hinkley after all, but imo it doesn't work well if apllied to the entire map. melting some power armor was great fun during this, but ultimately i'm glad we're back to buissnes as usual. i'm interested to see what you learned during this test and how you are going to apply it to reloaded in the future.
thanks to everybody who helps make this game awesome

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 03:10:35 am »
I just wanted to share my input about the no loot feature. Why not allow people to bring their own gear to Hinkly with no repercussions? For example, if someone has some dank Brotherhood Armor and Unique Avenger, let them bring it to practice with. Same goes for T4. This way, there will be tons of PvP and no repercussions.  Maybe this sounds better in my mind because I'm drunk, but it seems like a good idea.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 05:33:28 am »

U Stole my idea u cheeky breeky bugger! I made this weeks ago!

No Corosive meme? Damn, thought I was popular haha!

Bison

• Supporter
  • (Retired First Generation Khan)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 09:29:19 am »
There should definitely be a no loot area and that should be the area around hub, when you are in the no loot area it should say world map and when you leave a warning message should appear.

I would also move Barter Ground to this area.
For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.