May 23, 2024, 09:40:20 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Building Things  (Read 1053 times)

Styles

• View Profile
Building Things
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:03:52 am »
Hello. I started play a couple of weeks ago and I am loving it.

I checked the forum to see if there is a thread I could use.. So if I missed it sorry.

Here is my idea. I would like to be able to build fencing for tents and bases. Gather enough wood, junk and metal and using a work bench we could make different types of fences. I am not talking huge walls but barbed wire with wooden stakes to hold it up. Upgrades would be to add a wooden fence and then add sheet metal.

It could be that we have to hire a construction worker guy to do it. We give him the supplies, money and tell him where to build the fence. The upgrades I think should require hiring a person but the basic fence we should be able to set up ourselves. This would add extra protection to tents and bases.

Another idea would be to build some sort of automated weapons system that wouldn't count as a companion.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Re: Building Things
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:36:57 am »
Sounds great. Also sounds like a ton of work, at least to do it right. Like a year i bet lol.

Somewhere on old forum was an idea to add a Build-Boy upgrade to Pip-Boy, but it would basically be a whole additional GUI screen where you build anything you want in "dream mode", then burn it to a holotape when done. Next, you hire a construction worker (just like now with DYI bases, but you use the tape somehow in the transaction) and place the site and bring materials there. When it is done, you get a custom base/house/farm/whatever.

The reason i don't see it happening, though it would be so cool, is time. Designing a new interface with its own GUI is one thing, but a function that allows us to place individual map tiles, even tile_blocks in certain ways that fit, is a gigantic feat of coding, so it would take a year i bet.

It would be a lot easier for players to dive into the Mapper tool, design some quality bases that work, and submit them for review and approval by the dev team.

As for gun turrets, yes people have asked for that too. Think first, why? As it is now, factions cannot attack each other's bases so defending bases is not necessary much. Maybe if we open up bases to be seen/attacked faction-vs-faction, that would be a start. Let's say...a base still does not show up for non-member/friends until it is a faction that has successfully done Town Control. Once you do TC, your faction base can be attacked for like a week. That would make gun turrets and otherwise defending bases a new thing.

Styles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 01:53:31 am »
Maybe instead of being able to build our own types of fences, even if it's just a "simple" fence as barbed wire held in place with stakes.. there could be a another version of tents. We have the normal tent and the one Rangers can build.

How about a pre-made tent areas with a ring of fencing, barbed wire to start with an exit on each end of the map.. We could learn how to make such a tent just like with Rangers.

Then we could have the upgrading feature, in which we hire a contruction worker to upgrade it.

This would (I think) make it simpler to implement because it removes the part about the player being able to decide where the fence goes.

As for the auto defence things. I am thinking more along the lines of having it for new players. It would be a tent feature and it could be used for bases. The game does a good job warning players to make sure no one has tagged you, so you're base doesn't get looted. But getting mercs can cost alot of money andearly characters with low Charisma and Speech can't get mercs.

So to have some sort of system to keep out unwanted people would help. Like Vehicles we would need to keep them repaired and supplied with ammo (fuel) and it could involve finding objects, such as sensor modules and computer parts. And as time moves on we can upgrade the armour with more and better material. When we abandon the tent/base we lose them.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 02:03:48 pm »
As for gun turrets, yes people have asked for that too. Think first, why? As it is now, factions cannot attack each other's bases so defending bases is not necessary much. Maybe if we open up bases to be seen/attacked faction-vs-faction, that would be a start. Let's say...a base still does not show up for non-member/friends until it is a faction that has successfully done Town Control. Once you do TC, your faction base can be attacked for like a week. That would make gun turrets and otherwise defending bases a new thing.
No way. It's completely wrong.
Bases visible = being attacked when the faction is sleeping.
Bases visible once you do TC = TC factions use a "proxy base", completely empty and unused, so they can capture towns.

So, bases won't be visible.

Base upgrades are not possible at the moment.
What you can do with your base is to customise them with items, containers, NPCs...

Some new base types will be added in the future.