May 09, 2024, 02:05:34 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Deployable motion sensors  (Read 2291 times)

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
Deployable motion sensors
« on: August 20, 2015, 09:29:01 pm »
We all have the trouble of using our second hand slot with motion sensors. How nice would it be if we were able to place a deployed motion sensor some where, and whenever a sneak enters the radius, he is revealed. In order to deactivate one of these, one would use traps on it. Similar to lock pick, the higher the trap skill the higher the chance to deactivate. Thoughts?

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Deployable motion sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:32:40 pm »
Long ago, I made something like this for another project. Worth of considering.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:26 am »
Before I started PvPing I used to think this was how motion sensors worked, somehow it made sense in my head, but how would the vision work? Who would see the area?

Instant revealing is pretty harsh for an item that can be farmed easily, won't there just be fields of them in TC? At least when a person is holding a motion you can target him and reveal yourself, if it was on the ground and auto revealed in an aura, before you even get a chance to shut it down.. That would be so horrible for sneakers I can't even imagine.

EDIT; allowing us to activate it from inventory would be great, but I actually kind of like that it's a bit annoying to use one, otherwise every single person in pvp would carry one at all times rather than just a few or one to a group.
Also the hotkeys for turning a motion on and off don't seem to work for me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:25:10 am by Blarney »

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:34:01 am »
I'm not trying to bash the entire idea or the concept, but in the form you suggested it seems very strong, so I am not -1ing the idea or anything, just trying to play out how that would work in game, in my head.

In a similar theme, I had always thought traps should be the natural counter to sneakers (except maybe for sneak trappers, but even then), but they aren't really utilised in PvP, and there isn't much variety when it comes to traps, so that is a bit of a shame.

If say, there was an area trap, that when triggered, dealt light amounts of damage you would reveal sneakers with them, also it would use up the trap doing so, making it a bit harder to constantly spam them out everywhere, which could ruin sneakers entirely.

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:36:33 pm »
Bump. I know this is a super old thread, but it seems like it has been forgotten.

Let me state again, deploying motion sensors in a certain area could make a sneak in that area visible. Not visible to ANYONE on the map, only to those who can see the radius of the sensor.

Kilgore liked the idea, but not much was said about it. What do we think guys?

Barneys

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:21:50 pm »
Hmmm, could be interesting

Envoyé de mon XT1032 en utilisant Tapatalk

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 08:08:50 am »
Inventory or that way of use would be great. Second slot is quiet annoying.
GUN FOR HIRE

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 09:08:20 am »
I like it.  would be super cool.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 04:40:22 pm »
+1 from me, but only with very careful consideration as to affect on PvP mechanics. It takes some thinking.

Related: I always hoped for a way to combine a Motion Sensor with C4. You'd leave that bomb somewhere and it would have chance to auto-detonate when someone walks near it. Light Step would reduce chances (probably need to bump up the requirement for Light Step) and Traps overall.

Koniko

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 01:38:46 pm »
I disagree. It will weaken the sneak even more, make campers stronger and nothing more apart from that. Current motion sensor is already a cancer and I don't even wanna hear about remote one.

lutha

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 06:52:15 pm »
Perhaps to counter the placement, a scoped sniper with high PE could see the devices and attempt to destroy from distance, with a successful critical hit