May 15, 2024, 09:51:21 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Skill-books rework.  (Read 2461 times)

Byzantine

• View Profile
Skill-books rework.
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:39:36 am »
I propose to make the book more rare and valuable,books is the accumulated knowledge of the past.Subtracting the books remains the same - 10 books=60 sk.Cost must also increase significantly.You can find the same place where now, with less chance of finding.

Guide to Science
- Science
- Traps
cost 4500

Dean's Electronics&Mechanics
- Lockpick
- Repair
cost 4500

Encyclopedia of Medicine
- First Aid
- Doctor
cost 4500

G&B:Military training
- Small guns
- Big guns
- Energy weapons
- Close combat
- Throwing
cost 11 250

Survivalism:Scout Handbook
- Outdoorsman
- Steal
- Sneak
cost 6750

Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor
- Barter
- Gambling
- Speech
cost 6750

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
Re: Skill-books rework.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:40:16 pm »
Just so we're clear, you've listed multiple skills for each, are you suggesting a book increase all skills listed on use?

BB.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:46:57 pm »
Yes. But it would just be another way to make a gap between rich and poor players even bigger. Especially now, when TC brings high ammount of caps.

Byzantine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:47:32 pm »
Just so we're clear, you've listed multiple skills for each, are you suggesting a book increase all skills listed on use?

yes

Byzantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »
Yes. But it would just be another way to make a gap between rich and poor players even bigger. Especially now, when TC brings high ammount of caps.

poor players can find this book in footlockers or another place and sell to rich players with discount 8)

General Devon Oliver

• Supporter
  • For Valor!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 04:00:01 pm »
like the labeling but its easy to farm in lockers so I wouldn't add it but anyway nice suggestion
Merc For Hire, Universal Player

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »
My main reservation with the idea is the number of free skill points it would give, and it would allow IN to become the second biggest dump stat behind CH (even though it already is).

Strike

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 07:45:10 pm »
+1 for this suggestion, but I think traps skill should be in Scout Handbook.

Either you could choose which skill get 6% bonus, or all skills included get a small bonus.

My suggestion

There are a lot other items, that could be used same way as skill books and without need to find new images for each skills or one book hold bonus for many skills:

Trophy of recognition

Small statuette

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:11:56 pm by Strike »

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 10:46:37 pm »
Strike, i love those trophy items. I been saying since 2238 they should be used by GMs to award players in special events.

This idea is not bad. I would consider supporting it (+1) if the boost you get from reading a book only applies to a single skill (random with each book) and not all of them simultaneously.

Mainly though, the addition of books is fun. I would love to see a few more:
"Pugilism Illustrated" for Close Combat
"The Grenadier" for throwing
"Tumblers Today" for Lockpick
"Big Bang" for Big Guns
"Sidlers Quarterly" for Sneak
"High Rollers" for Gambling
"Magnets Monthly" for Energy Weapons
"Lying Congressional Style" for Speech

...or some such. Preparing some additional images would likely be necessary.

With the addition of this many books, making any books less common would be done since each time you find a book (with the current rate) would spread out to more books. Thus it would take longer to find 10 Guns-n-Bullets magazines, but without increasing the grind as much as simply lowering rate to find any.

Also don't forget the "Technical Repair Manual" is in-game somewhere with its own image. Its about power armor but maybe could be used to increase any repair, like Oil (or even better than Oil).

Append: Oh! Don't forget there is already a "Chemistry Journals" book in-game. I think you get one on tanker quest. Not sure what that would boost.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:11:23 am by Henry »

DesertHero

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:33 am »
Yeah i guess it's fair in some cases. at least for big guns and stuff since small guns are favorited now because of 60 free skills bonus

Koniko

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:45:33 pm »
Strike, i love those trophy items. I been saying since 2238 they should be used by GMs to award players in special events.

This idea is not bad. I would consider supporting it (+1) if the boost you get from reading a book only applies to a single skill (random with each book) and not all of them simultaneously.

Mainly though, the addition of books is fun. I would love to see a few more:
"Pugilism Illustrated" for Close Combat
"The Grenadier" for throwing
"Tumblers Today" for Lockpick
"Big Bang" for Big Guns
"Sidlers Quarterly" for Sneak
"High Rollers" for Gambling
"Magnets Monthly" for Energy Weapons
"Lying Congressional Style" for Speech

...or some such. Preparing some additional images would likely be necessary.

With the addition of this many books, making any books less common would be done since each time you find a book (with the current rate) would spread out to more books. Thus it would take longer to find 10 Guns-n-Bullets magazines, but without increasing the grind as much as simply lowering rate to find any.

Also don't forget the "Technical Repair Manual" is in-game somewhere with its own image. Its about power armor but maybe could be used to increase any repair, like Oil (or even better than Oil).

Append: Oh! Don't forget there is already a "Chemistry Journals" book in-game. I think you get one on tanker quest. Not sure what that would boost.

http://imgur.com/a/ZlkAB

Graphics used on The Life After Mark II - They're free to use in any way.

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 01:50:49 pm »
So uh... This is an OLD topic, but I still feel the need for the "Tumblers Today" book. Anyone with me on this?