May 20, 2024, 10:29:08 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Been playing for a few days, I have some questions...  (Read 4801 times)

DamJ.NeT

• View Profile
Been playing for a few days, I have some questions...
« on: August 27, 2015, 03:57:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been following and mixing a few guides, and I have a few tents all around, my char is lvl 19 and can do craft/lockers.
That guy has SG tagged with 180+%. 
Do I gain more damage by raising it ? I'm using combat shotgun with regular ammo so far, and I'm wondering how to improve my dmg. I did not take perks that increase dmg/bullet. I wonder if I need to switch to another SG, or just change ammo (mb both), or if I reached max dmg. (SPECIAL is : ST 5 PE 6 EN 10 CH 1 IN 7 AG 10 LK 1)

Questions about items such as lock picks, medic bag, super tools etc... When do I gain the bonus ? 1. By having it in my inventory OR 2.  By having it in my weapon slot OR 3. Having it in my ACTIVE weapon slot ?

I want to do a PVP char, probably to hunt people doing lockers or stuff like this. Any noob friendly build ? (no drug etc if possible I'm starting this game). I just need smthg simple, that doesnt need tons of stuff and performs ok (if it exists :D)

I see a lot of people talking about having 60% minimum condition on stuff that drops in PVE. Wih crafts, I am wondering when should I repair, and when should I just science the items ? (When = XX/XX condtion or max condition)

Isn't it better to use skill books when you have over 100% in a skill ? It seems to more you advance the more skillpoints you need to raise a skill.

Why on a lot of build I see lock pick skill raised but not the traps one ?

For a good PVE char, (gun runners, enclave patrol etc...) Is it possible with SG or is BG better ?

If I buy a brahmin to help me carry stuff when I mine, can I let it on a tent location and will it disappear when I d/c ?

Those are the questions I have after reading nearly all the wiki and forum guides/help etc...
I will probably have more in the futur, thank you :D

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
Re: Been playing for a few days, I have some questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:18:28 pm »
Use slugs, they are good dmg. Buy crafting profession ASAP, craft Pancors and XL70E3s. They are strong and sell for high prices.

180% is plenty with 6 PE for small guns. No damage with raising, only overall chance to hit.

Lockpicks, medic bags etc only give you the bonus when they are in your ACTIVE hand. So you will have to be quick while switching it around.

Ill get to the PvP character last.

When items go under 60%, they are more often bypassed, and give ZERO defenses. It's best to keep them 60/60+ as often as possible. This is why repair skill is important.

You can take up to 10 books in each skill, it's up to you when to take them. In the end, they equal up to the same amount of skill bonus.

Lockpick skill is raised for what else? Picking locks. Traps isnt worried about because disarming them takes forever long, and sometimes you still set it off. Not worth the time, plus people usually have high doctor to fix their legs.

With a good PvE character (BRD, BRD+, MRD and 12 AP) Enclave, Brotherhood, NCR etc is quite easy when you have practice.

Not sure what you're asking on this one, but yes. You can leave your brahmin in your tent and he is safe.

Here is a good generic PvP semi-tank. Easy for starters, and no drugs needed. (Although in the future when you have access to them, drugs will help)

Traits - Small Frame for +1 Agi, Fast Shot for +5 dmg per attack.

STR - 5
PE - 7
EN - 10
CH - 1
INT - 7
AG - 10
LK - 1

Tag - BG (For LSW) or EW (For Gatling) whichever you prefer. First aid and Outdoors.

Perks
Level 3 - Adrenaline Rush
Level 6 - Toughness
Level 9 - Even Tougher
Level 12 - Action Boy
Level 15 - Action Boy
Level 18 - Bonus Rate of Fire (Remember this requires 180% gun skill)
Level 21 - Lifegiver
Level 24 - Lifegiver+

This will make you pretty sturdy, and at the same time pour out some decent dmg. By the time you have this leveld up, I'm sure you will have access to better weapons.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:28:54 pm by Gimper »

Gooseberry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:27:10 pm »
Gun skill only raises your ability to actually hit a target. If you wish to do more damage, use a better weapon.
For example, you could start using AP ammo and a pancor jackhammer instead.

You need to have items in your ACTIVE weaponslot to gain a bonus. This also explains why you see so few people walk around with medkits.

Builds:
General (RT) PvP Rocketeer tank: Cookie cutter stuff

"no drug" builds don't exist. Drugs blatantly make you more powerfull.
You do not have to use them however, but expect to take more damage than your enemy.
Use LSW and RL
Get your doctor to 100% with levels you gain after 24.

TB only: LSW triple burst

For the broken mechanic called TB, comes with 16AP (on jet) to walk and can perform triple bursts (LSW) with a +ap weapon or armor (when on jet).
Do NOT pop beer on this build. TB is based on sequence, which is mostly based of your PE. You don't want your enemy to go first, now do you?
This build obviously will not do well in RT.

There's a few more viable builds out there, but since I suspect that you do not have acces to gatling lasers, I will leave those out for now. The LSW is fairly easy to get, buy and craft. So it should not be a big issue for you to get.

Onwards to the 60% minimum condition. When people talk about this, they talk about armor. Armor below the wall of <50% has a chance to not protect you from damage at all (calculated per bullet), resulting in really painfull hits. Therefore, you want to wear 50%> armor. 60% is simply mentioned since your armor might degrade during combat, and you REALLY dont want it to go <50%.

Both SG, BG and even EW can be used to farm enclave patrols. Just ensure a good position, proper build (BRD/MRD) and gear. (Gatling laser EW, XL SG and avenger BG)

Yes a brahmin won't dissapear if you log off. However instead just pop some mentats and beer, and get yourself a SCOUT (ask him for specialized dogs) dog at junktown. price = 500 caps. They come with 120% ODM. Getting yourself a companion would be even better.

Edit: On traps, people use lockpicking as this is universally needed. Typically the only trap you will ever face are beartraps, which dont do much damage and will at worst cripple your leg. Meanwhile lockpicking is used for lockers, treasure chests and even cars. Making it far more usseful.

If you have more questions you can pm me or post them here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:30:28 pm by Gooseberry »

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:30:54 pm »
Use slugs, they are good dmg. Buy crafting profession ASAP, craft Pancors and XL70E3s. They are strong and sell for high prices.

180% is plenty with 6 PE for small guns. No damage with raising, only overall chance to hit.

Lockpicks, medic bags etc only give you the bonus when they are in your ACTIVE hand. So you will have to be quick while switching it around.

Ill get to the PvP character last.

When items go under 60%, they are more often bypassed, and give ZERO defenses. It's best to keep them 60/60+ as often as possible. This is why repair skill is important.

You can take up to 10 books in each skill, it's up to you when to take them. In the end, they equal up to the same amount of skill bonus.

Lockpick skill is raised for what else? Picking locks. Traps isnt worried about because disarming them takes forever long, and sometimes you still set it off. Not worth the time, plus people usually have high doctor to fix their legs.

With a good PvE character (BRD, BRD+, MRD and 12 AP) Enclave, Brotherhood, NCR etc is quite easy when you have practice.

Not sure what you're asking on this one, but yes. You can leave your brahmin in your tent and he is safe.

All in all Gimper is right, only few things I would like to say:

Use slugs, but on anything that is Mutant or man in Metal or better armor. You can use normal shells against leather armors and leather jackets or low tier animals. No need to waste slugs. And as we know all normal .12 gauge shells are far more easier to obtain than slugs.

Gun have 1% chance of critical failure while shooting for every 5% of deterioration/missing condition.
So 50% gun gives you 10% to have critical missed shot, in such a case gun can waste rest of ammo, drop on ground or even explode. Guns with 50% cond or less should be repaired as fast as possible or scienced.

Armors for example give you 2% of partial bypass for every 1% deterioration/missing condition counted from 50%. So till 50%, you have no chances for bypasses. Bypass means your armor will protect you far less than it should. 45-50% armors and helmets should be as guns above repaired as fast as possible, or scienced. Cause it will make more bad than good to you.

Good luck on your path, wastelander :)
GUN FOR HIRE

DamJ.NeT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:47:44 pm »
Eh thanks a lot for your answers guys, that was really fast !

For the pvp chars, if I want to hunt locker hunters, do I need outdoorsman to have more chances to spot them or does it make no difference ?

Any sure way to get LSW blueprint ?

killer1986chris

• May your death at my hands be painless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 04:51:15 pm »

For the pvp chars, if I want to hunt locker hunters, do I need outdoorsman to have more chances to spot them or does it make no difference ?

ODM will give you the choice in more encounters, so it's helpful to PK, and you can either buy the BP or get it by popping the GR super mutie box.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:54:10 pm »

Yeah, LSW BPs are common in Footlockers in towns. Other sure way is contact me, I have already 16+ BPs with LSW hahaha, so I can sell you few  ;D
Or just one as I suppose you would like more  ;)

If I'm correct OD has no impact on players spotting encounters. Still prevents from forced encounters with every gecko, rats etc encounters. So 10 books and lets say 20 SP added to non-tagged OD will give you 100 outdoorsman skill, nice ammount. Gives ability to build shelters in place of tents, so quiet usefull if you ask me.
GUN FOR HIRE

DamJ.NeT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 05:44:13 pm »
Dont you need a party for the GR quest ?

killer1986chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:45:51 pm »
No party needed, it can be done solo, I have soloed it numerous times and it gives decent loot, use cover etc and you will do fine.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 05:58:42 pm »
No party needed, it can be done solo, I have soloed it numerous times and it gives decent loot, use cover etc and you will do fine.

This and nothing more, it's quiet easy while using cover. The only part when you have no cover is entrance, but you can bring car with you to have some shelter against the bullet storm :D

Btw. if you need, I can help you first time in GR quest, I will not take anything, all loot yours, just do it for fun  :)
GUN FOR HIRE

FrankenStone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:13 pm »
just press a and leftclick mouse on a target

DamJ.NeT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 06:44:36 pm »
Well thx for advices :) I crossed path with 2 friendly players so far, the rest just murdered me without saying a word afterwards :D

Thx Mad Matt for offers, I might pm you in the days to come !

Btw I log on IRC when I'm playing, but it's dead quiet... Forum advertise 100+ players all the time but IRC seems dead

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 06:56:18 pm »
Well thx for advices :) I crossed path with 2 friendly players so far, the rest just murdered me without saying a word afterwards :D

Thx Mad Matt for offers, I might pm you in the days to come !

Btw I log on IRC when I'm playing, but it's dead quiet... Forum advertise 100+ players all the time but IRC seems dead

No problem, I will sell you this LSW BP just for some ammo or drugs, I don't want much, really. So no need to bring me big ammount of caps or something, as I said I had BPs in base in ammount big enough to cover needs of small country to let them produce it in few factories hahaha.

Back to subject, I don't know what's up on IRC, I didn't use it long long time. Only in-game radio, forum and Team-Speak.
GUN FOR HIRE

killer1986chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 07:03:48 pm »
I may be one of your silent killers, it's the wastes, and as I was told before deciding to become a PK (was trying for a non PK route before) "it's the wasteland, nothing personal".  So as long as you don't talk shit from the grave I'm likely to just take your stuff and walk away, however if you have a name I can have some fun with I likely will.  (I'm nice here sometimes, and here only, in game I'm likely to either be apathetic or a dick depending on your mood)

DamJ.NeT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 12:33:52 am »
?About books of achievement, do I have to use them with a char lvl 1 or can you add levels to a leveled toon ?