May 14, 2024, 02:19:01 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: A suggestion that is worth it (for newbies)...  (Read 2194 times)

kill n die

• Supporter
    • View Profile
A suggestion that is worth it (for newbies)...
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »
It is for beginners...
We all know how start of this game looks like,you just spawn in some randm place,leave it and then boom,you are on your own in world map without any knowledge what to do or where to go,for beginners this is really pain in ass,if we want more people there should be atleast some npc in first spawning point that will tell you some basics stuff...Where to go,what to do first,tent,mining and shit like that,not everybody know about wiki,forum etc.
So here is idea,add NPC (some Doctor guy) to first spawn point that will talk to you...
Dialog:
You: Uh,where am i?
Doctor: Well good morning friend,my name is Doctor XY(some name) and this is my little place where i live.
You: How did i get there?
Doctor: Well i was scavenging in wastes for some supplies when i saw your body lying in sand,i look closely at you and you had a big wound on your head,you was in deep coma,but your heart wasstill kicking,so i put you on my brahmin and then took you to my place,i healed your wound just in time,it was really serious,you are lucky that you can still breath.
You: Oh,thanks alot doctor,got any idea what did that wound?My head still hurst pretty bad and i can't remember anything.
Doctor: Well it seems like it was from some heavy metal item,like from crowbar.It was probaly raiders that done this to you,they took all your stuff,you had barely some clothes left.
You: Damn,that's really bad,anyway you saved my life doctor,i wouldn't forget that.Got any idea where should i go now? I would like to be on my own,get some caps,guns,resources and place where i can live.
Doctor: You're welcome friend.Well i did alot traveling and i can give you some tips for sure.I suggest you first to get some experience in wastes,use any enviroments that you can find in wastes,make primitive tool from flint,with that you can easy chop some wood,but be careful with it,it breaks really easyily.Then you should visit some quarry,there is many of them,i suggest you to use guarded one,otherwise you can get your self easily killed.If you would reach some of those quarry places you can get some iron ore and minerals by using a primitive tool,i suggesy you to dig some iron ore first,from that you can make good metal and combine with wood you can manage to make a hammer,it's really beter then primitive tool,it won't break so easy.Oh i almost forget,to make metal part you need to use workbench,you can find it in many guarded cities.With hammer you can dig alot resources and make your own guns and ammunation.Also you gona need your own place where you can store all your items,otherwise you can lost them all very easy,i suggest you to get fast as you can some experience,rumors said that there is some family around that lost their have cause of giant rats that attacked them,they now live in tent,maybe if you try to help them ,they will maybe give you a tent.You can byuld it almost anywhere you want,go in wastes and use it,it will be your safe place where you can live,also try use some wood on campfire,it would give you more options for your tent.I guess that's the most important things that you need to know,any questions?
You: Thanks alot for you suggestion doc,i'm sure it would help.
Q1. ,Which towns are most dangerous? Where should i be really aware?
Q2. Who is friendly and who would shoot me at sight?
Doctor:
Answer 1: Well i've been in almost every town and i most tell you,the unguarded are most dangerous,those are Gecko,Klamath,Den,Redding,Modoc and Broken Hills.
Then there is guarded towns like Vault City,NCR,Junktown,Hub and San Francisco.But be awere even in guarded towns,there is many psychopats around that can easy kill you in few seconds no matter what,don't trust so easily someone,also be sure to not take someone to your tent,he will probably kill you there and took all your stuff.
Answer 2: Well that's a good question,i saw many people and i must tell you raiders shoot anyone at sight,same do those crazy ghouls,some band of guys that call them selfs Rogues,Highwayman,bandidts.gang and marauiders will want you death right away when they will see you so be fast and try  run out from them,but if you will be tough enough,you can try to kill them.The friendly is Brotherhood of steel,Ncr members like NCR army,Ncr rangers,vault city guards,hub guards and also many super mutants,just don't try to steal form them and also keep your distance for them,if you will get too close they will recognize you as treat.
You: That's really good tips Doc,thanks.I guess i know now all i need,it's time for me to go.
Doc: Sure my friend,but before i let you go,here take this,i know it isn't much but i believe it will help you in some cases.(he handle you leather jacket,10mm pistol with 25 ammo and 2 stimpaks).
You: Thanks doc,it will help for sure,thanks again for your patch up.Good bye.
Doc: Take care friend,and wish you good luck out there.

I believe that this will help alot to newbies,much beter then just start rightaway in dangerous wastes without anything,without knowing anything...
If you have any ideas how makes this even beter,post them,but please make sure that they make sense...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:29:49 pm by kill n die »

What doesn't kill you,makes you stronger...

Leim

• View Profile
Re: A suggestion that is worth it...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:08:16 pm »
Great Idea and easily implemented

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:08:44 pm »
I'm certainly not against this, but is it really necessary?

I'm pretty terrible at video games, even more so at online games
and even I could figure out how to play the game.

The players who are willing to help beginners out and teach them the ropes
are actually not that far and few and I think a tutorial might take this away a little.

Back when I started playing 2238 I had the most fun by learning how to play from others.

kill n die

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »
I'm certainly not against this, but is it really necessary?

I'm pretty terrible at video games, even more so at online games
and even I could figure out how to play the game.

The players who are willing to help beginners out and teach them the ropes
are actually not that far and few and I think a tutorial might take this away a little.

Back when I started playing 2238 I had the most fun by learning how to play from others.
Yes it is,not anyone can have same luck like you had...

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:28:18 pm »
Maybe you could let players spawn at the "A Tent in the Wasteland" encounter directly.
After you killed the rats the family asks you if you could help them repair the farm house
during which the father explains to you how to chop wood, mine ore and minerals and craft.

Then you get the tent, basic tools, some other random low-tier stuff and enough exp for level 2.

He could also give something like a "Beginners guide to Survival"-book which explains the basic things.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:30:12 pm by Sperber »

kill n die

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 07:31:08 am »
Maybe you could let players spawn at the "A Tent in the Wasteland" encounter directly.
After you killed the rats the family asks you if you could help them repair the farm house
during which the father explains to you how to chop wood, mine ore and minerals and craft.

Then you get the tent, basic tools, some other random low-tier stuff and enough exp for level 2.

He could also give something like a "Beginners guide to Survival"-book which explains the basic things.
I think an NPC would be beter,those who know what do do ingame would just skip the turtorial,,,
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:44:32 am by kill n die »

kill n die

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »
Any respond Kilgore? What ya think?

Weir

Re: A suggestion that is worth it (for newbies)...
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:30:33 pm »
You: Uh,where am i?
Doctor: Well good morning friend,my name is Doctor Kill N Die and this is my little place where i live.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion that is worth it (for newbies)...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:46 pm »
We have plans for something better than that.