May 12, 2024, 01:59:16 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Project: Compass  (Read 5059 times)

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
Project: Compass
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:30:13 am »
This is Help Bot ruining the challenge of Fonline again.

I'm here asking for donations to a help the newbie fund so to speak.
I'm looking for any piece of carp Combat Armor, Leather Armor, Assault Rifles, Combat Shotguns, FN FALs, 10mm SMG's, ETC. Condition doesn't matter though I will science things with potential condition less than ~20.

If anyone is wants to join in then why not? I'll use my private stock to help out any guides, public donations will be used either at my discretion or at the instruction of the Donor.

Essentially my accomplices and I will be acting as a Tutorial Guide:
Forcing upon...er showing newbies our own:

Recommended New Player Builds, How to gather resources, how to construct tents, and the particulars of such safe zones, details about support perks and quests, Blue print info, ETC, and of course providing tools and equipment to help players get started. Then keeping tabs on them via trading of materials.

Initial Supplies.
Weapons:
10 10MM SMG           - 600 Rnds
06 FN FAL                 - 480 Rnds
05 Combat Shotgun - 300 Rnds
27 Assualt Rifles       - 1944 Rnds

Armor
21 CA
11 CA MKII

Tools:
20 Sledge Hammers
20 Hatchets
20 Combat Knives
10 Knives

Any Donations will be appreciated. And will be used to further this project.

Tips, ideas, suggestions are all welcome. If you're willing to guide new players that's great!

After all Lets help the newbies help make Reloaded a more populated place!!!

Help Bot signing off!!!
---Project Notes-----
2/14/15 - Storage Depot created next to the HUB - The base doesn't let anyone but the Leader enter though.
Delivering and sorting items at the Depot, Hopefully the Depot will get fixed. Will house 3 alts in a Safe House next to the HUB until the base gets fixed by an Admin or something.

Set up Base north of Junktown that can be used for newbies to mine and get used to the game. As well as for crafting purposes.

Tyrion30 - Given Standard Issue, Set up trade relations. Talked about Support perks Ranger and Awareness.
Tyrion30 knew the basics of flint, wood, Ores gathering. Talked about map making, Tryrion knew about how to make tents. Tyrion ended trade arrangements. He linked up with Sentral.

Chester knew about crafting, resource gathering. And perks, Given standard issue, set up trade relations.

MattBaker - Given Standard Issue, Set up Trade relations. Talked about Ranger Perk, got him Awareness. Showed Wood and fibre gathering. Talked about map making. Matt knows how to set up tents.

RangerFrost and Chester LaRue - Set up trade, given Standard Issue. No mention of gathering. Too late at night.

Radios, Holotapes, and Tents are in low supply ATM. I'll be gathering Holotapes and tents. To keep tabs on newbies.

2/20/15
Roughly 12 people have been using the services on and off. Donations and trade have both occurred both substantially.

2/24/15
While there is usually 1-2 people on at any given time. Most players have moved on (Which means the projected kickstarted them well enough) I'm currently wondering about the best way to keep the project going for as long as possible without needing intermediate times of being on and off. I'm considering hiring freelancers to cover the lack of current staff. Materials are becoming a smaller issue at hand, with shipping being a larger concern than lack of supply. While consistent trade enables players to remain active longer and under the project's eye. The current system is very messy with a highly tedious and inaccurate measure to keep an eye on players.

Currently the system seems to cap out at 12-15 with extensive effort.

A test run with a previous system could support 9 with practically no effort. Implementation of the current system was due to freelancer work and lack of discretion and coordination.

This proved to be a mistake to rely on freelancer discretion. Though resources have been stretched as well.

Post optimization the goal will be to with ease govern, train, and trade with up to 36 players at one single time.
Assuming I can get some real staff in, I may up the ante to 72 players at one single time.

Solo however, I'd most likely cap at 9-18.

Retention rate is low after a week. Mostly hovering at 25%-40% But if the natural rate is 1-5% then the project is making good progress.

Optimization may last longer than previously expected. Though probably not by long. Assuming wipe is months away to a year. Then Optimization will prove very beneficial. If the wipe is less than a month then, optimization will simply be proof of concept.

2/27/15
Have yet to restart the project yet, waiting to see if I can get some staff.
Most likely though I'll restart the project sometime tomorrow and clean the bases again.
Another shipment of supplies came in just in the nick of time. Thanks defunct faction.
I have doubts I'll finish optimizing the project by tomorrow, but most of the framework is down, and its done enough to get started rather easily. I may consult new player help guides, and see if I can use their information to help the new players coming in.

Well about time to set down a few radios, chests, and start counting what supplies I have to use.
There seems to be 1-2 people using the radio still, two or more people helped by the project have joined MOD in some Reno shenenagians.

Two others are active as salvagers. Less activity is noted, but pending wipe is a consideration.
--------------------------
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:43:38 am by Help Bot »
In Maintenance Mode.

OldBoy

• View Profile
Re: Project: Compass
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:20:29 am »
1. Gather some Flints(30-40) http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Flint
2. Go to workbench and craft primitive tool. Workbench locations : http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Workbench
Primitive tool: http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Primitive_Tool
3. Go to guarded mine and using primitive tool to gather iron ore and minerals.
Guarded mines location: http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mines#Guarded_Mines
Iron ore: http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Iron_Ore
Minerals: http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Minerals
4. Go to worldmap and search encounter with trees you can choop using primitive tool and gather wood http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Wood
5. Using workbench(fixboy - http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Fixboy) to craft knife, sledgehammer and hatchets. Now you dont need search flints and craft primitive tools.
6. If somehow you get the quest http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=A_Tent_in_the_Wasteland, you can skip all previous steps  ;)
7. Read the wiki, Search topics on forum, Read the wiki, Search topics on forum, Read the wiki, Make topics on forum,... etc.  :D

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »
If I can gather the materials, I may be able to craft some of the items you need. I can't make any promises though as I am also busy with RL stuff.

triqua

• Supporter & Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 02:33:55 pm »
pm me on monday pls. just read this and thought i could prepare some piles of stuff for you, throw it in a vehicle and give you the keys. just remind me on monday

Piotreq

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:39 pm »
Dear Help Bot. Why are you doing this? Giving stuff to newbies WON'T learn them anything.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 05:32:13 pm »
FYI: You don't need a workbench to craft primitive tools. You can make those on the fly, at the mine. When your primi-tool breaks, it often turns back into flint so you can just make another tool right there at the mine.

FYI: Everyone gets the "Tent in the Wasteland" quest at level 2. Of course, maybe you need to do these things at level 1 but that quest will come up, not somehow, but every time.

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm »
Dear Help Bot. Why are you doing this? Giving stuff to newbies WON'T learn them anything.
LOL like 15% of what I said was about freebie handouts. I'm not online all the time, but when I am I almost always spend it teaching newbies the ropes.

I teach them the lay of the land,How to gather resources, how to mine, how to craft, and how to avoid PvP, and strategies to avoid losing as many items as possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enough players have become active ~10% for this to be worth my while like Sentral. The ones I've lost tabs on seem to still be playing like KushSmoker. Then there are those that are on sometimes like Zenkiller.

Basically you know how we think most newbies rage quit because they don't know anything? I'm preventing that by teaching them the basics ground up.

Thanks Triqua I'll PM you Monday, and Maxim I'll PM you too. Thanks for the support.

Thanks for the tips Oldboy, henry, and Chosen One.

I'll be more active during the middle of the week, I have school to manage xD!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sentral and Tyrion30 are linked and playing together.
They got PK'ed at the Redding Mines, but Grim sent by Dr. Thule;

See I'm already making the game more populated for PK'ers help out and you'll see more actiony fun~~~
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:05:21 am by Help Bot »
In Maintenance Mode.

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:24:39 am »
Update

The Project is successful.

Several (8-10) players are now working together to have fun in the game.

With an average of 3 online at any given time.

The trade networks have linked the new players together, and some random events have allowed some to prosper immensly (PA, Cars, Implants  From scratch newb to you know in less than a week)

Help Bot is looking forward to the future for what the project has instore.

And I made a tidy buck too trading around and helping people.
In Maintenance Mode.

Troll

• Supporter
  • Trollmageddon soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 01:13:38 am »

I have to agree with this. When you see a hungry man, don't give him a fish, learn him how to catch one.
This game isn't as player friendly as the average, and by smoothing things up, you may actually give you car keys to someone that has no driving licence. Give tips and just a weapon or 2, but don't supply them more than that. Explain them what needs to be explained, give them a leather jacket and a shootgun and leave them to the wasteland.
The wasteland has its own will, and will choose the worthy ones, erase the others.
This is how things work here, and how pvp players raise.
You start weak, unarmed and unexperienced. And your knowledge of the game and skill as player increases as your character's. When you get PKed, you can rage quit or ask yourself why? When you understood why you died, you learn how to kill.
The wasteland isn't a quiet place because it forges the ones that keep it that way.  ;) And that's why this game rocks, remember that.

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 02:04:19 am »
The wasteland isn't a quiet place because it forges the ones that keep it that way.  ;) And that's why this game rocks, remember that.
You make it sound like it's more skill and less who's more of a min-maxing arse-head, which isn't the case.
Granted, you need the right weapons and gear, but it ultimately comes down to who's "build" is better. Having the best armour in the world doesn't mean jack if someone's built a character designed just to bypass armour and you happen to run into him.
It's why I don't take part in TC or anything else that's heavily into PVP. I have a social life and shit I need to do IRL, so I can't spend hours perfecting individual builds.

new players are put off because they don't know that more often than not, this is the case. They're running around, exploring, then some no-lifer kills them. They pose no threat what-so-ever at level 3, and couldn't kill the other guy even if he just stood there and took shot after shot.
Giving new people some gear that's alright is a good way of letting them know that the game does get better and you won't be stuck with leather armour and a desert eagle for the whole time you're playing.

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:08 am »

I have to agree with this. When you see a hungry man, don't give him a fish, learn him how to catch one.
This game isn't as player friendly as the average, and by smoothing things up, you may actually give you car keys to someone that has no driving licence. Give tips and just a weapon or 2, but don't supply them more than that. Explain them what needs to be explained, give them a leather jacket and a shootgun and leave them to the wasteland.
The wasteland has its own will, and will choose the worthy ones, erase the others.
This is how things work here, and how pvp players raise.
You start weak, unarmed and unexperienced. And your knowledge of the game and skill as player increases as your character's. When you get PKed, you can rage quit or ask yourself why? When you understood why you died, you learn how to kill.

Currently Project Compass has more than the minimum amount of equipment to remain operational as such I've been able to equip every bluesuit I see with a set of Combat Armor. Though If I am pressed IRL for time then I don't hand anything out. I have to give a brief about the way Fonline works first, and due to the extra stock I trade with the new players to make the game more consistent for them. If they're interested in playing they'll trade, if they're interested in improving I do what I can. There have been more than enough successes to justify the project. Check out the HUBOLOGY channel and you'll hear chatter of teams locker hunting, cave diving, crafting, mining, farming patrols, and other shenanigans.

The Project has become a small world all in its own. And there's an economical aspect to this as well. Implants, Power Armor, Bozar. You'd be surprised at what a few newbies can pick up xD.

Though the main consideration is to make the game more palatable to newbies and this goal has been an astounding success.

I don't just give stuff. I give advice, I introduce people to communities and other people. And I help show what's engaging about Fonline Reloaded.
In Maintenance Mode.

Gnk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:44:58 am »
You make it sound like it's more skill and less who's more of a min-maxing arse-head, which isn't the case.
Granted, you need the right weapons and gear, but it ultimately comes down to who's "build" is better. Having the best armour in the world doesn't mean jack if someone's built a character designed just to bypass armour and you happen to run into him.
It's why I don't take part in TC or anything else that's heavily into PVP. I have a social life and shit I need to do IRL, so I can't spend hours perfecting individual builds.

new players are put off because they don't know that more often than not, this is the case. They're running around, exploring, then some no-lifer kills them. They pose no threat what-so-ever at level 3, and couldn't kill the other guy even if he just stood there and took shot after shot.
Giving new people some gear that's alright is a good way of letting them know that the game does get better and you won't be stuck with leather armour and a desert eagle for the whole time you're playing.
Spoken like someone who truly has no idea what they are talking about. You don't need to be a no lifer to be good at this game at all. You just need to try to learn instead of spending all your time doing your own thing. I play maybe 1-2 days a week and know PvP well. Making a build is not time consuming because they are all posted on the forum if you just look. and you can level a build to 100 in an hour. Then bam you are ready to kick some ass. You are just mad because you haven't tried to learn how to be good. You spent your time standing around in hub or hunting raiders.

triqua

• Supporter & Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:15:10 am »
hmm i must admit i had an easy start. i had a character up to level 25 or something and then those fuzzypaintings and access key cards auction have been set up. fast and easy caps for my first 2-3 private mines. if you manage to get at least one you are supplied for a long time with good stuff. :P so better tell every noob to try gather 100k caps for a mine asap and tell them how to use slaves.. ^^

Maxim Moskvin

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 12:38:43 pm »

Spoken like someone who truly has no idea what they are talking about. You don't need to be a no lifer to be good at this game at all. You just need to try to learn instead of spending all your time doing your own thing. I play maybe 1-2 days a week and know PvP well. Making a build is not time consuming because they are all posted on the forum if you just look. and you can level a build to 100 in an hour. Then bam you are ready to kick some ass. You are just mad because you haven't tried to learn how to be good. You spent your time standing around in hub or hunting raiders.
::)
Making assumptions is not the same as knowing facts.

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 02:50:11 pm »
[Makes small speech]
<Feels totally ignored>
Q.Q reads banter xD!!!

**eats some popcorn.**

please provide links, or even general forum locations for incredible or crazy info plz. Much appreciated for people who don't know AKA the new players that might be reading this, the people who forgot like me, or for general reference.
In Maintenance Mode.