May 04, 2024, 08:18:53 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Advice for my tank? **noob post**  (Read 3815 times)

Rothbard

• View Profile
Advice for my tank? **noob post**
« on: April 29, 2014, 05:05:18 pm »
S 9
P 9 (10 with nuka cola)
E 9
C 1
I 1
A 9 (10 with cigarettes)
L 1

Fast Shot
Bonehead

Big Guns (Light Support Weapon with -1AP for 10 hits per turn)
Throwing (Plasma Grenades with 42 range due to strength)
First Aid

These 5 perks I'm sure of:
Adrenaline Rush
Tougher
Even Tougher
Man of Steel
Bonus Rate of Fire

These perks I can't decide on for my final 3:
Lifegiver I
Lifegiver II
Lifegiver II
Stonewall (80% reduction in knockdowns due to 9 strength)
Action Boy I
Action Boy I

So I'm thinking I should go with either:
Lifegiver x2 and Stonewall
Action Boy x2 and Stonewall
or
Lifegiver x3.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:45:51 pm by Rothbard »

Dustin

• View Profile
Re: Advice for my tank? **noob post**
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »
I was hoping someone with more experience making such characters would chime in, and hopefully they still will.  The biggest flaw I'm seeing, cigarettes add +1 to perception and charisma.  If addicted to, you'll lose that 1AP over time but they aren't going to add to your agility unless there's something somewhere I'm missing.  I'd compromise a little somewhere and drop the reliance on them personally.  Is 1 intelligence going to be enough to get your weapon skill up in time for Rate of Fire?  I suppose you could always take it last if necessary.  I wasn't able to decide between Action Boy and Lifegiver with 4 perks to spare myself.  Personally I feel like both are integral to any and every build.  I wound up giving action boy a little more precedence (AB + BRoF work pretty well together) but I still highly recommend tweaking to get at least a few Lifegivers in there. 

Once you get past level 24 you no longer gain perks or additional HP, so that +20, +30, and +40 to your health bar helps tremendously.  Since the last rank's like 2 of the first one, it makes it hard to decide against committing all the way.  There's not really a wrong way to do it, and I won't say going as you will will "break" your character, statistically it's just hard to rule out perks that help so tremendously.   Good luck deciding, and worst case scenario it's not too hard to get yourself back up to 24.  :)

Kaaon

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:04:24 pm »
- you should also use psycho, its must have for tank + buffout if you really want to take stonewall
- 6 base st is enough for stonewall char (+2 buffout, +1 psycho = 9 [or 10 with implant])
- 10 EN is must for tank
- dont take fastshot, take small frame, 1 special point is more useful for tank then 5 flat dmg - you can put those points from ST and small frame to PE/LK (10 base PE - 2 psycho + 1 cigs = 9)
- plasma grenades have max range 15 hex
- classic setup of perks for full tank are : adrenaline rush, toughness, even tougher, 3x lifegiver, brof and last perk MoS or Stonewall, i would take those for sure

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:39:02 pm »
You don't need more than 6ST.

As for grenades; you get max range with 5ST, but you'd still need both Heave Ho! perks for the full 21 hexes.
Also you don't have enough IN to skill Big Guns and Throwing, unless you want to go for level 200 or something like that.
Tag Doctor instead of Throwing.

Forget action boy for a tank.
You need 10 EN, all Lifegivers, Adrenaline Rush, Even Tougher, Man of Steel, Toughness and Stonewall.
If you want Better Rate of Fire don't take Stonewall and take only 5 ST.

I second Small Frame instead of Fast Shot, since single shots suck in real-time
and for turn-based you wouldn't need a tank.

Put the points from ST into EN and LK.

Use LSW and Rocket Launcher.

Rothbard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:20:08 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.

Dustin, I got cigarettes and nuka cola backwards. My bad.

Seki, I was planning to get that endurance up using an implant, but I'm guessing maybe that it's unrealistic for a new player to get an implant module before the wipe? Is that true? Either way, for 10 endurance could I have a base endurance of 7 and get 2 from buffout and 1 from psycho? Is there a reason to have a base endurance of 10 if you are using those drugs?

Also, basically, fast shot is useless for real time PvP? But better rate of fire is? Because it helps with burst fire? I don't have much experience with real time PvP, yet. So this is all a little confusing.

BurstDeath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:30:18 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.

Dustin, I got cigarettes and nuka cola backwards. My bad.

Seki, I was planning to get that endurance up using an implant, but I'm guessing maybe that it's unrealistic for a new player to get an implant module before the wipe? Is that true? Either way, for 10 endurance could I have a base endurance of 7 and get 2 from buffout and 1 from psycho? Is there a reason to have a base endurance of 10 if you are using those drugs?

Also, basically, fast shot is useless for real time PvP? But better rate of fire is? Because it helps with burst fire? I don't have much experience with real time PvP, yet. So this is all a little confusing.
check this out
http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Hit_Points

Rothbard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:34 am »
check this out
http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Hit_Points

I think I must be missing something here. I think I've read most if not all all of the wiki on character stats, chance to hit, etc. and I think I have a pretty good grasp on things but some things are not obvious. E.g. the wiki says strength increases your throwing range by +3 each, but is not entirely clear on the fact that it's capped at +15 without Heave Ho!. So, what's the point here? Do you not get all that extra HP from the +3 endurance from drugs? Is your base endurance the only thing that factors into the HP equation?

Boon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:36 am »
Is there a reason to have a base endurance of 10 if you are using those drugs?

When you level, your hp goes up half of your base Endurance, but not after level 24.
Taking drugs to get it higher won't help.

An implant isn't that useful either, since you need to be level 30 to use it anyway.

Fast Shot trait lowers the cost of single shot for one-handed weapons by 1, and two-handed by 2, only if that weapon could use aimed shots. It also gives a +5 damage at the end of an attack.

In Turn-Based its THE best trait since you have a whole turn and time doesn't matter, though in Real-Time where everyone acts at once, it would be rather slow in doing damage.

But if your going to be bursting anyway and have a spare trait - no harm in taking it.
Wasteland is harsh.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 02:54:49 am »
10 Endurance so you get maximum Hit Points when done leveling (not including Lifegivers). Questions about builds usually depend on how you intend to use that character. So if it's TB PvE or RT PvE, or TB PvP or RT PvP, or exclusively TC or Reno etc matters to me. Not for all.

Also what matters is which weapon specifically. Not just Big Guns, but which Big Gun? Your high PE lines up with Rocket Launchers, or any longer-ranged gun. I personally enjoy PE 1 fighters a lot. PE 1 might sound scary, but i use Avengers and we do the most dmg at 1-hex, thus i don't need the high PE. Even in PvE farming ops, PE 1 starts me in encounters very close to enemy - right where i want to be for a 1-hex Avenger fighter. Not good for Rocket Launcher though ouch.

So ditto to what these guys are saying about Strength. Take ST 6 and plan to use Buffout/Cola, and Psycho. Use beer if PE is 1 and swap basic Toughness perk with Quick Pockets for Avenger fighter. The beer will act like Toughness and QP saves you a lot of AP recharge time. Avengers hold only 3 bursts so that's a lot of Reloads. Add up those Action Points saved over time - it's worth the the perk imo.

When i use Buffout, i always set AG at 10, but if you are patient enough to wait for an Agility implant then register AG 9. Intelligence 1 tells me you are patient already so...good. Your last perk is at level 24 but can be delayed until sometime during level 29, so yes i think you can get BRoF with IN 1 (but use the planner to verify this). +1 to the Small Frame idea to get an extra AG point. Avoid Fast Shot if you want to do a lot of bursting. Avoid Fast Shot if you plan to fire Rockets.

Note: you can get Awareness with PE 1 if you get Close Combat up to 100 which is not hard even with low IN.

Your perk decision looks like you're thinking clearly: which ones is totally up to you, Lifegivers vs Action Boys and don't forget Bonus Ranged Damage. I take Action Boys on snipers but not on tanks. On tanks i take LG and Stonewall, but you could mix it up however you wish: 2 LG instead of 3 and 1 Action Boy plus some +1 AP armor gives you 12 AP! And ditto to what Sperber said about tagging Doctor instead of Throwing unless you are just so eager to throw stuff. Or even tag Energy Weapons but leave it alone until later and look forward to the day when you can choose between bursting with a gatling laser or Avenger either one. Doctor works pretty well at only 100 so tagging it might be medical overkill.

Note: i leveled a 3x BRD BG burster and was so unimpressed with the increased damage vs the lowered HP, i rarely use him.

Hey if you want some specific builds, i can send em but it seems like you are starting on the right track and getting good advice from these guys.

Rothbard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:18:16 am »
When you level, your hp goes up half of your base Endurance, but not after level 24.
Taking drugs to get it higher won't help.

An implant isn't that useful either, since you need to be level 30 to use it anyway.

Thanks for clarifying this. It seems nuts to me that HP isn't affected by your total endurance, but since that's the case 10 endurance makes a lot of sense. I like to think that I'd be able to get an implant and go with 9, but getting the module seems unlikely, unless people starting loosening up on them before the wipe.

Rothbard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 02:34:01 pm »
Okay, so here's my second attempt:

S 5 (6 with Psycho)
P 9 (8 with Psycho and cigarettes)
E 10
C 1
I 1
A 9 (10 Nuka Cola)
L 5

Small Frame
Bonehead

Big Guns (Light Support Weapon + Rocket Launcher
First Aid
Doctor

Adrenaline Rush
Tougher
Even Tougher
Man of Steel
Lifegiver I
Lifegiver II
Lifegiver II
Bonus Rate of Fire

I decided against the Stonewall perk. Any other changes I should consider?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:16:35 pm by Rothbard »

Furior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 05:46:01 pm »
8 st ... why the hell u need 8 st... and why 9 AG? Dont use buffout and you will reach the 10 AG with the nuka.

Rothbard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 09:15:40 pm »
8 st ... why the hell u need 8 st... and why 9 AG? Dont use buffout and you will reach the 10 AG with the nuka.

You're right, I just read that again. I wrote it planning to go with stonewall and then changed my mind. Editing it now.