May 15, 2024, 09:48:55 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: In-game Newspapers  (Read 3489 times)

Dr. Mengelito

• Supporter
  • Oh Slash, it's TKs!
    • View Profile
    • Khanscentral
In-game Newspapers
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:02:59 am »
On 2238 there where newspapers ingame written by factions. We have some good journals right now with weekly releases and I'm not only talking about The Daily Khan. I'm sure in-game newspaper would stimulate other factions to write some aswell.

"The infiltration took a huge toll on my physical and mental health; I was haunted by nightmares of being exposed to the faction I was infiltrating, other nightmares being of Mengelito." -Lash 2016

Blarney

• View Profile
Re: In-game Newspapers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:28:39 am »
I'm sure in-game newspaper would stimulate other factions to write some aswell.

The problems lie in what they would be writing about.

It seems like a lot of the content would come down to the equivalent of forum pvp mixed in with heavily laced propaganda.

That's without even getting into the trolls, and I'm sure there'd be at least 1.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:59:31 am »
Use holotapes?

I know that editing them is not the best experience possible but copy-paste works.

Henry uses them a lot. And they are good.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:08:32 am »
Use holotapes?

I know that editing them is not the best experience possible but copy-paste works.

I had thought about that, didn't know you could copy paste, that would solve the mass production problems I had assumed would exist.

I think he was leaning more toward a way to add it via terminal or the like, or a way that players can access it without having to drop or give out hundreds of holotapes for each edition.

But yeah, we also have the forum for that so I don't know really.

It seems like this is along the lines of the faction recruiter, a way to add more info about a factions activeness and ideologies into the game and easily accessible to even the noobest of noobs.

Vehemence

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 01:40:52 pm »
Why was my comment removed? Conspiracy!

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »
Use holotapes?

I had thought about that, didn't know you could copy paste, that would solve the mass production problems I had assumed would exist.

I think he was leaning more toward a way to add it via terminal or the like, or a way that players can access it without having to drop or give out hundreds of holotapes for each edition.

But yeah, we also have the forum for that so I don't know really.

It seems like this is along the lines of the faction recruiter, a way to add more info about a factions activeness and ideologies into the game and easily accessible to even the noobest of noobs.

Bulletin board?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:51:57 pm by Kilgore »

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:32:20 pm »
There is a functioning bulletin board in the game already?

Damn it lol, so many little and big new things this game shows me on a daily basis and I've been around for years.

:facepalm  :facepalm

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 03:40:10 pm »
There isn't (except those with quest info), but it could be a nice feature.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 03:51:35 pm »
Good lol, that is less embarrasing, but its still true, there's always some piece of hidden information that makes me feel like a noob almost on a daily basis lol.

Yes I think an editable bulletin board would suffice for what the OP is asking, and could fill the "recruiter npc" role too technically, if it had the space to do so (within the dialogue tree), would there just be one though? Would it be possible (or worth it) to clone it across a few more popular towns so that any edits made to one would be shown on the others?

Having just one is fine if it is in a place like the hub, but if you are going to the effort of making it, make it highly visible in some way, it is a small but very useful feature to have in game, wouldn't want a blind ass like me walking past it for years thinking it's scenery. :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:38:41 pm by Blarney »

Bison

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:54:59 pm »
I support this idea, It would make good Propaganda for factions if it was available.

Dr. Mengelito

• Supporter
  • Oh Slash, it's TKs!
    • View Profile
    • Khanscentral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 07:57:10 pm »
In 2238 you could buy in game newspapers for 10 caps and they would be displaced on the screen, the template for TDK is based on it.

"The infiltration took a huge toll on my physical and mental health; I was haunted by nightmares of being exposed to the faction I was infiltrating, other nightmares being of Mengelito." -Lash 2016

Yuno-Gasai

• Supporter
  • Hi, hehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 10:30:58 pm »
Honestly though, other than Khans, which faction would benefit/do these?
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

Vehemence

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 11:40:31 pm »

Which shitty faction is it that does the Justice Journal?

Bison

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 12:32:01 am »

Social Warriors / Red Cross but I am pretty sure more factions would join in on this if it was available in game.

Dr. Mengelito

• Supporter
  • Oh Slash, it's TKs!
    • View Profile
    • Khanscentral
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 05:57:32 am »

Social Warriors / Red Cross but I am pretty sure more factions would join in on this if it was available in game.

It would add much to immersion and a decent faction should definately have it's own newspaper, in game or not.