May 14, 2024, 01:26:26 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Stealing in Towns  (Read 7595 times)

Styles

• View Profile
Re: Stealing in Towns
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 11:58:15 pm »
Stealth and Stealing are apart of the game. So why are people compaining when people make a stealth/thief character.

I would rather have jail time then just having the guards kill the person. I also feel the guards are to insainly watchful. Competely stealth an nowhere near a guard and they some how still see it? Doesn't make sense to me.

There is also "you have caused trouble in this town, the guards will not protect you." Is there not? So maybe a guard in the area can openly say "(name here) we aren't going to help you." So other players can know that you are killable.

I am not sure if that's already a feature of the game or not.

Cause to much trouble it could be made so that we can't enter the location at all or only parts of it for X amount of real world time.

Resetting reputation, the cost is what 5,000? Could just make it a hell of a lot higher such as 100,000.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:08:28 am by Styles »

Raiden

• Clear Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 01:03:19 am »
Stealth and Stealing are apart of the game. So why are people compaining when people make a stealth/thief character.

I would rather have jail time then just having the guards kill the person. I also feel the guards are to insainly watchful. Competely stealth an nowhere near a guard and they some how still see it? Doesn't make sense to me.

There is also "you have caused trouble in this town, the guards will not protect you." Is there not? So maybe a guard in the area can openly say "(name here) we aren't going to help you." So other players can know that you are killable.

Cause to much trouble it could be made so that we can't enter the location at all or only parts of it for X amount of real world time.

Resetting reputation, the cost is what 5,000? Could just make it a hell of a lot higher such as 100,000.

It's not a problem that "people make a stealth/thief character." it's a problem when they abuse the fact that there is little to no negative effects in doing it. Worst case scenario they make a new character, level a few times, and go back at it.

I don't quite think you understand what this suggestion is about. It's about people/characters (hue hue hue, fingers, for example) that literally spend all day in bluesuits chasing down people trying to trade with merchants, and are given the leisure of not being disliked enough yet by guards to be shot, yet they are permitted to steal from players, and/or harass them indefinitely.

This isn't a thread about "Competely stealth an nowhere near a guard and they some how still see it? Doesn't make sense to me." because it never happens. That's rarely how stealing works out, it's often directly in the line of sight of a guard, if not two, and are simply scolded by these guards that watch the robbery.

I do agree that if guards don't care, they should openly state it so that all players around them know that if they start something, they can respond and end it.

The biggest problem is the No-PvP in the Hub. With no PvP, there's no way for players to retaliate.

Kirkor

• Supporter
  • Bang Bang Smash
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 01:14:31 am »
I wish there were some clever script, that whnever NPCs spots the thief, they take out their magic tonfas and hit the bastard.
After one hit you get automaticly 0 hit points and unconcious. After few seconds you respawn in jail and sit there for 15-20 minutes of Real Time.

Styles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:00:05 am »

It's not a problem that "people make a stealth/thief character." it's a problem when they abuse the fact that there is little to no negative effects in doing it. Worst case scenario they make a new character, level a few times, and go back at it.

I don't quite think you understand what this suggestion is about. It's about people/characters (hue hue hue, fingers, for example) that literally spend all day in bluesuits chasing down people trying to trade with merchants, and are given the leisure of not being disliked enough yet by guards to be shot, yet they are permitted to steal from players, and/or harass them indefinitely.

This isn't a thread about "Competely stealth an nowhere near a guard and they some how still see it? Doesn't make sense to me." because it never happens. That's rarely how stealing works out, it's often directly in the line of sight of a guard, if not two, and are simply scolded by these guards that watch the robbery.

I do agree that if guards don't care, they should openly state it so that all players around them know that if they start something, they can respond and end it.

The biggest problem is the No-PvP in the Hub. With no PvP, there's no way for players to retaliate.

I agree it is annoying that when going to the Hub you get swarmed by a bunch of thieves in blueshirts that harass players so there is no way for them to trade. But it needs to be guarded because the place is meant to be a safe place for new players. If it wasn't it would be overrun by people wanting easy kills.

Jails for the Hub. Really high cost of reputation rest. Being bannded from the town for X amount of real world time if you have caused to much trouble. Guards letting players know who isn't protected anymore for the trouble they caused are all things that could help stop it IMO.

Maybe by the police station in the Hub and in other guarded towns there could be a bulletin board/computer terminal with the names of all the outlawed players. Cause to much trouble your name gets placed on it and it doesn't come off until your reputation is good again and if it costs alot of money to rest your reputation then it would make people think twice about ruining it at low levels.

Could even have it so at a point, say you have rest your reputation X amounts of time, you become permanently outlawed. As in the each location keeps track of how many times you rest your reputation. Letting it go back to good or neutral over time wouldn't count.

It could be that every time you want to pay to reset your reputation it could cost more and more to a point you can't do it anymore.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:09:44 am by Styles »

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 02:25:00 am »
You guys are completely overreacting.

I've tried stealing and you lose 50 rep for every unsuccesful steal attempt.
For comparison; you lose 100 for killing a player in or next to a town.

Even with 150% skill there's still a fair chance to fail
especially with large items like weapons and armor
or with high amounts of items like 1k caps.

10 minutes jail time would be more than enough.

An announcement when a thief is unprotected is dumb and unfair.
It's a gamble to attack a thief as it should be, since it's self-justice.

It's fine the way it is, but unprotected players should be killable.

And finally; No, stealing does not make you rich. That's nonsense.

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 04:11:26 am »
My cousin says he saw "a notorious master theif" get gunned down in the hub today... if he cant always win then there's hope...
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Altairp

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:42 am »
If you make the guards shout "Hey, XYZ is a thief, we're not protecting him!" then whole town will turn into a firing range with moving targets and them not being able to react. It's unfair, just as you think that thieves are unfair.

You'd find unfunny and unfair when you can't retailate when someone steals from you, but imagine the thief who gets gunned down because everyone and their grand mothers know that they're evil and bad thanks to a guard or a terminal telling them that.

Though, I have to say, there are serious thieves and trolls. Bluesuits who chase you for items and the sake of trolling should be gunned down without mercy and simply deleted from the server data, actual thieves who wait hours for their prey and plan their moves, actions and objectives are just a part of the game and really shouldn't be punished for that. Swallow it and try again, you're rich and surely won't lose much apart from those three shotguns or 500 caps they took off you.

Although I found somewhat funny seeing Raiden running around chased by three thieves before making this thread.

Wormsign

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:54 am »
My cousin says he saw "a notorious master theif" get gunned down in the hub today... if he cant always win then there's hope...

That was me trying to steal a Combat Shotgun from amor! Sad failure that was.. :(

Anyway, one of the problems I see here is that people think us thieves don't have any negative consequences for our actions. That is far from the truth. Also complaining that some of my guys do it in blue suits.. don't even start complaining about that crap argument. Lastly the fact of Hub being s starter tow.. please.. Sure it's the first town newbs come to but as I said before, it's not like they stay there. More often then not they head out to NCR after their first shoveling of shit and hauling of boxes. Hub should go back to the way it was.

I think a minor change isn't out of the question, when dealing with thieves. That's why I presented the jail idea. But a lot of this complaint is just complaint. Maybe there weren't as many thieves in this game before I started trying to recruit them. I know I'm not the best thief, or the head of all thieves in the game but it is clear I have some notoriety. I am only going to continue to recruit and train thieves. A scumbag in every marketplace, that's what I say! If you're a thief hit me up. Let us all gather under one banner!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:55:50 am by Wormsign »

TheWastes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 08:03:57 am »
They disabled PvP without disabling Steal?

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAA retarded/10.

Probably some GM (we all know which one likes to abuse his powers, don't we) wanted to try the career of a thief; when he gets bored, PvP will be back (or Stealing will get disabled), don't worry.

Just wait it out. Or quit, because this is just the beginning of the retardation to come.

Wormsign

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 08:08:49 am »
Just wait it out. Or quit, because this is just the beginning of the retardation to come.

Oh? Are you planning on posting more? Please don't ruin this viable thread with your ranting.

TheWastes

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 08:25:42 am »

Oh? Are you planning on posting more? Please don't ruin this viable thread with your ranting.
As the hnic of the thieves' guild, you're obviously biased about the issue, and it is *you* who should abstain from posting in this thread as everyone knows your opinion already (hurrrr no pvp & stealing enabled = heaven, plzzz don't change plzzzz).

Same goes for any other member of the thieves' guild.

Wormsign

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 08:27:53 am »

As the hnic of the thieves' guild, you're obviously biased about the issue, and it is *you* who should abstain from posting in this thread as everyone knows your opinion already (hurrrr no pvp & stealing enabled = heaven, plzzz don't change plzzzz).

Same goes for any other member of the thieves' guild.

Actually had you read my post you would see I am for PvP in Hub and I even suggested jail time for thieves.

I'm not responding to you here again because this thread isn't for your rage.

Please don't post here unless you have an opinion on the topic.

TheWastes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 08:49:44 am »
PLZZZZZZZZ NO PVP & Stealing enabled it be heaven for thieves PLZZZZZZZZZZz
As far as I am concerned, you can have it, no problem.

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 09:09:15 am »
That was me trying to steal a Combat Shotgun from amor! Sad failure that was.. :(
I wasn't gonna name names. :P
Me and my cousin are in and out of there a lot. Mostly using FLC's local branch. It, uh, would be nice if Thieves Guild laid off some of the nastier stuff, 'specially quest related items (like, who took my motivator, even though it can't be used), but mostly they're funny.

And uh, TheWastes, it's HMFIC.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Wormsign

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:47 am »
I have a Robot Motivator I jacked awhile back you can have if you want lol.