May 21, 2024, 10:02:04 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Anti-gaming, we need new rûles.  (Read 14488 times)

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-gaming, we need new rûles.
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2015, 05:30:51 am »
I don't think all the changes should be removed at all, only some of them. I enjoy many of the updates Kilgore brings. Its just that some of his ideas are.... I don't know what words to use. One sided? He only looks to what he thinks is best sometimes. Sometimes he doesn't listen to the community and he says to himself "Well this seems like a good idea, I'm gonna implement it!" And then it ends up being lame. Example, 100% Hub protection. Horrible idea, no one even knew it was coming and it really ruined a big part of newbies learning experience.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:23 am »
Well, it is not possible to satisfy every individual player out there, because everyone has his own opinion about how the game should look like. It's also typical that there are many individuals who would like us to make the game exactly as he/she wants it to look like, because "all others are wrong", "devteam is wrong", but they are perfectly right. So, complaints are inevitable.

The good thing is that now players have enough resources to create the game, based on 2238, or FOnline SDK (TLA), it doesn't matter, so with some effort you can make your perfect FOnline without reinventing the wheel. That's actually what we did: we had/have some vision how better FOnline should look like, we grabbed the tools (source of 2238) and that's how Reloaded was created.
That's also why with the start of the new session, we will share current source (first session of Reloaded, just as it's running now) with all of you. In case you aren't satisfied with new changes, you can start development of the better FOnline.

Telling us that we don't listen to the community is funny, I've got to admit. At least 90% of changes that appear in changelog come from players suggestions or bug reports.

Johnny

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:58 am »
Before you say just make a tent. What happens when while traveling to the HUB with the tent from the quest you run into an encounter TB, then a 300HP Vindicator HPA shows up?

Nobody will come in an encounter in Tb with a vindicator and hpa nobody unless he is forced into an encounter on his way to another place.
Just increase your outdoorsman and leave those WM signals for someone else. You can let them have their fun, and continue playing.

This or maybe search the forums, everything you need is in there and has already been discussed, community is very small here and everyone know whats broken. Balance changes concern PvP players not roleplayers.

And btw if you like helping people do it nobody prevent you from doing so.

But keep in mind that helping newcomers one by one is a waste of time as everything they need is already here on the forums or on the wiki. If they manage to find where to download the client theyll figure out how to find all the beginners guide made by players.

Problem is you have to assist them for the most part wich take energy, time, and investment for a very high chance of quitting no matter what.

c_hieter

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2015, 04:59:16 pm »
i have an idea.

printout the change logs.
prior to the date of the change, search the suggestion thread.
guess what you will find more often then not.
a player asking for what was changed.
THEN say the devs don't listen to us.

they don't listen to ME because all my suggestions suck.
that's MY fault.
not the devs.

remember  the words of a motivational speaker (snake oil salesman?) from the late 1800's.........

"everyday in every way i am getting better and better".

actually i think the snake oil salesman (motivational speaker?) was in the early 1900's.
let the google fingers fly.
 :)

Furior

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 05:00:16 pm »
They didn't like the endless grind. They didn't like that every location was camped with people with the best weapons, gear and an army of mercs to go with it. Trying to get the best gear means you need the best resources which means campers stay there and kill people.

Sure it sounds fun if you and your friends got into the game when it was new. Got all the resources and weapons, enough to take the mines and hold them. But any newbie would get crushed trying to get resources. There was always some asshole around that would let newbies mine until they couldn't carry anymore, only to kill them. The only time I could get resources was in the early morning hours when the Europeans were still sleeping.

I played 2238 alone. No faction, and i could get resources, ofc i got kiled sometimes while mining. You just needed to scout first, if no players camping u could get ur resources and leave. If there were 1 or 2 pks, u could fight them, or u could just try other mines.

If newbies want to stay at the Hub area forever then let them. What does it matter to you? When they do leave kill them.
I want server to be populated, noobs dont count as active players because they dont interact with other players (interact = fight, mainly)

The only area you shouldn't get killed or stolen from are the barter grounds area.
I dont agree. In FOnline there shouldnt be any 100% safe place.

Well, it is not possible to satisfy every individual player out there, because everyone has his own opinion about how the game should look like. It's also typical that there are many individuals who would like us to make the game exactly as he/she wants it to look like, because "all others are wrong", "devteam is wrong", but they are perfectly right. So, complaints are inevitable.

The good thing is that now players have enough resources to create the game, based on 2238, or FOnline SDK (TLA), it doesn't matter, so with some effort you can make your perfect FOnline without reinventing the wheel. That's actually what we did: we had/have some vision how better FOnline should look like, we grabbed the tools (source of 2238) and that's how Reloaded was created.
That's also why with the start of the new session, we will share current source (first session of Reloaded, just as it's running now) with all of you. In case you aren't satisfied with new changes, you can start development of the better FOnline.

Telling us that we don't listen to the community is funny, I've got to admit. At least 90% of changes that appear in changelog come from players suggestions or bug reports.
So, lets all make our own FOnlines, so we will end up with 300 servers with 1 player each. Thats is not a solution. You listen to the people, thats OK but it doesnt mean u are listening to the right people.
I think u listen to noobs to try to not to lose them but even if u give them what they request, they will most likely leave. This game is not for everyone. And u shouldnt forget about "old" players.

I also think there are better ways to make new players stay, like tutorials, quests to train them, etc...

Johnny

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 05:15:35 pm »

So, lets all make our own FOnlines, so we will end up with 300 servers with 1 player each. Thats is not a solution. You listen to the people, thats OK but it doesnt mean u are listening to the right people.
I think u listen to noobs to try to not to lose them but even if u give them what they request, they will most likely leave. This game is not for everyone. And u shouldnt forget about "old" players.

I also think there are better ways to make new players stay, like tutorials, quests to train them, etc...

That is absolutly true. Remember kilgore that you are not alone, each game get patched at some point after release because players bring feedback.

A game that do not get patched or updated is a game that lose players and by players i mean pvp players because like furior said those 80 players online are ghosts.

The most fidel community to your game is the pvp one proof is that everybody is waiting for wipe on this server and updates. It means that reloaded got a huge fan base rdy and waiting. If people complain its because your server is actually very good but lack updates because pvp is broken and everybody is trolling with OP weapons and broken classes.

Everyone wait test server now is good time leave reloaded for roleplayer and chit chatting in hub and give your pvp fan base a test server so we can discuss changes together!

c_hieter

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 05:46:22 pm »
as kilgore has said many times.
no wipe announcement + no updates = the devs are lazy.
wipe announcement + updates = no wipe
only so much time in a day.
wipe announcement + no updates = where we are now.
we are stuck in a highly playable game as it stands.

the devs have committed to keeping this server open after the wipe.
for how long depends on the traffic and donations.
i guess.
a free game isn't really free.
the server costs is not the only cost.
it takes time to do the stuff WE asked for.
so come blast me if you think i am wrong.
 :)

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2015, 07:38:46 pm »
That's why there will be no 10 safe zones around Hub. Also that's why we already have a tutorial for newbies, which should teach them something and give them a safe place to store items (tent-like).

If you want the game to be populated, then you should be concerned about new players. You can believe me that more than 80-90% players end their adventure with FOnline in under a week, because it's too difficult. Many ragequit in hours. So, you want the game to be populated or you want the game to be suitable only for hardcore players who will die 100x times but eventually learn how the things work? Some old players understand what I'm talking about, I also kept posting "wasteland is harsh" for months but it's not a good approach unless you want a hardcore game with 20 online who will play no matter what because they are only interested in pvp. You don't see the bigger picture, so-called pvp population is less than 20% of the server at any given time, it was also like that on 2238, most people just don't care about pvp even if you think it's otherwise.

A game that do not get patched or updated is a game that lose players and by players i mean pvp players because like furior said those 80 players online are ghosts.

The most fidel community to your game is the pvp one proof is that everybody is waiting for wipe on this server and updates. It means that reloaded got a huge fan base rdy and waiting. If people complain its because your server is actually very good but lack updates because pvp is broken and everybody is trolling with OP weapons and broken classes.

Everyone wait test server now is good time leave reloaded for roleplayer and chit chatting in hub and give your pvp fan base a test server so we can discuss changes together!
At some point the game will not get patches just because the preparations for new session are in progress and you cannot make certain changes to the running server. Then, I'm unable to develop two servers (one on old version and the other one being prepared for the next session) because I don't have enough time for this. Why it's taking so long, I already explained in "Reloading the Reloaded" thread.
Of course you can still be convinced that it should be done better, the game should being as hardcore and timeconsuming as 2238 because "these were the better times", and maybe you would know better how to develop the game, prepare wipes, testing and listen "to the right people". The tools are available since almost two years, so no problem, you can do it. I'm not saying that you can't do it - whenever a new server starts being developed, I honestly wish them good luck, because I am sure that more servers = the better.

300 servers with one player each? Please. You are talking like there was a closed community with limited number of players involved, it's bad approach saying "oh noes don't create another server because the community will split!!11" It's totally wrong. Believe me, if you would take into account all people that played Reloaded since it's launch, it would be probably somewhere about 10.000-20.000, maybe even more. Is it a huge number? Nope, even this forum has 5500 accounts with no bots because they just can't register. So, there is a lot of potential FOnline players, you just need to attract them, because currently all the servers are too harsh for new guys and the learning curve is too steep.

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 07:59:21 pm »
I agree that Dev team does listen to players, and does take many suggestions and implement them. It IS obvious, or at least should be.

Given that, it's the primary reason when threads like this pop up, I want to voice my opinion as well. I've been playing FOnline for about five years, so I'm a bit fond of it... if Devs didn't pay players any mind I wouldn't say a word, good suggestion or bad.

From my experience and point of view I believe Kilgore to be correct that there IS a bigger potential playerbase than what we assume. I believe it to be true that most will quit very quickly, and why. Especially the issue with the learning curve, and that it's the biggest obstacle for new or inexperienced players. If that can be overcome without making the game a padded room, I'm happy.

I don't agree with every feature or change implemented anymore than I agree with every suggestion made, but I understand I'm not going to get "my way". That's unreasonable.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:01:15 pm by Wind_Drift »

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2015, 11:10:50 pm »
If the tutorial was better, and you didn't have a chance of dying right after finishing the tutorial that'd be nice.

The Tutorial doesn't talk about where to get fibre, Junk, wood, ores, or how to set up the tent.

Some players are bound to try and find an encounter to get into the world map.

Instead of an immersive tutorial, it should be simple and straight forward.

Use this on that to get materials. That can be found at XX place, XX place is found on Deserts/Mountains/Cities. Press the Green Triangle To get into the Map Zone.

Beware On the World Map Other Players can join you!!! Don't chose a spot with too many people around who can drop by!!!

I'm looking forward to what future changes are going to come about. Until then back to good ole training and development. BTW if any of you PK'ers are wondering where all the newbs are getting CA from look no further...
In Maintenance Mode.

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 11:18:33 pm »
If the tutorial was better, and you didn't have a chance of dying right after finishing the tutorial that'd be nice.

The Tutorial doesn't talk about where to get fibre, Junk, wood, ores, or how to set up the tent.

Some players are bound to try and find an encounter to get into the world map.

Instead of an immersive tutorial, it should be simple and straight forward.

Use this on that to get materials. That can be found at XX place, XX place is found on Deserts/Mountains/Cities. Press the Green Triangle To get into the Map Zone.

Beware On the World Map Other Players can join you!!! Don't chose a spot with too many people around who can drop by!!!

I'm looking forward to what future changes are going to come about. Until then back to good ole training and development. BTW if any of you PK'ers are wondering where all the newbs are getting CA from look no further...

So you've seen post wipe content?

lol

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 11:19:03 pm »

No need to get smart. I didn't tell you that you don't listen to the community. What I said was, sometimes you mak decisions on updates that are one sided. SOMETIMES you don't listen. like I said, some updates, great! Others, WUT. And really? Make our own Fonline? Is that what you really want, or are you just being a smart-a$$? Because in pretty sure you wouldn't be too happy when you lose all the old players. This game would be a joke of a trash heap if that ever happened.
All I suggest is that you appeal to the majority rather than the newbies. (Even though sometimes the majority IS newbies lol)

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:30 am »
I've posted my opinion about it many times, it's also written few posts above. More good FOnline servers (not a clone with few tweaks and no plan that is closed few days or weeks later), the better. I've also posted above why I think that "all old players will leave" is not valid. People have various preferences, so they play various FOnline games.

And if server A is better than server B in every area, while server B is not being actively developed, then it's good. Because it's good when the better game replaces the previous one. However, I don't think that anything like that has happened in our little FOnline world so far, each game has it's dedicated players.

Help Bot & Wind Drift:
There is hardly any tutorial right now, the player spawns and.. doesn't know what to do next. We're taking heavy effort to change this situation as much as possible, to give new players a better start and improve the learning curve.

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 01:17:43 pm »
Kilgore is right more servers = more activites = more ideas = more players.

Too bad many servers die so quickly. Check servers list how many servers are abandoned, click show closed servers checkbox on the bottom.
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

jamesfett

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »
how i learnt most of the game was communication with other players and checking the forum, new players should be encouraged to do both of these things