May 07, 2024, 07:45:00 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Just a little suggestion...  (Read 5793 times)

PaRiAh the Scalper

• SoloCreep
    • View Profile
Just a little suggestion...
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:31:41 pm »
It would be great (in my opinion) if there where more environmental encounters such as sandstorms, acid rain ect ect...
the need for food and water in a sort of (hard core mode) would take the game to another level. the wasteland seems TAME and the apocalypse would come to life with these small changes. I want to make it clear that im not a programmer in any way shape or form so im not sure what kind of work would have to go into implementing these changes, however it should be taken into consideration.
Pros- 1. outdoorsman skill would have more play in the game, crafting food and making campfires, even seeking shelter
        2. travel on the world map would be harder, allowing more advanced players to travel to more advanced areas
         3. Bring the wasteland alive, and add a little more pve to the mix.
         4.eating sleeping and drinking would make for a more realistic game, and add more features and activities

Cons- 1. might mess with town control events as well as other game master hosted events, pretty much fuck up any event where you had to be in a specific place at a certain time.
          2. I imagine lots of numbers mixed in with technical lines of code flying threw the matrix.... or however they make these kind of things happen.
.....well what do ya think?? ::)
Solve et coagula LONG LIVE BASTARD BEARD (Remember the Night Rider)!!!!

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little suggestion...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:14:24 am »
I like concept of harder game especially food system, sleeping and so on however it will not happen. I remember many pointless discussion about how requirements for eating/drinking will be annoying, people like that kind of ideas only in a paper, not actual in game. Of course it would bring new experience and immersion but trust me - earlier or later players will blame it.

On the other hand if such experience or hardcore mode was optional, it would work. You like it - you enable and play as you want. I am not sure if developers have too much time to make something feature which could be use by...let me think small ammount of players? I am not against it but it should be optional, only for those who want play like that, have better immersion.

About random enviroment situations I definitely agree. Also if you remember (or not) abandoned project called Wasteland 2155 (firsts Kilgore project) would have something similar. I can not find forum archives but I remember they wanted to make random activites like falling stones from mountains type encounter. I hope they are going to implement this in Reloaded. Well I hope they implement more ideas from W2155 :)
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

⛧Donnie Darko⛧

• Supporter
  • Dirty, Mean, and Most Importantly Rude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:38:26 am »
Well... The food system can work a little bit like how radiation works. The hungrier you get the higher your hunger % is. But depending on what you eat to get it back down, you can get stat bonuses that effect you the same way drugs do.

Also why not make the reserved skill the "driving skill"
The higher your driving skill the better vehicles you can drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 04:46:20 pm »
From my experience a food/drink requirement can go from a giant pain in the ass, to barely a concern depending on the rate of accumulation and the adverse effects, as well as how hard/easy it is to get the food and drink items. It's something that would likely need to be adjusted after a lot of player feedback.

It isn't difficult to implement, it's just been an unpopular idea each time it's been suggested.

Every suggestion takes work, which costs personal time from developers or the community, not only that but the time is donated as it's not for pay.

Don't be surprised if something that gets a ton of negative feedback, and very little positive, doesn't get done.

That being said, I think it should be done.

Hungry Hungry Shark

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:00:10 pm »
If you like food/water system the only way I see it viable is if it's optional. If you want to play hardcore mode and look for food and water then you can, but those who don't want to shouldn't be forced to do so.

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 06:34:47 pm »

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 11:26:15 pm »
Funny thing, a player recently gave me a copy of his hunger/thirst script that he made. I haven't tested it yet since I've been busy as hell, but thirst/hunger? Lol ... technically... we've already got it...

I think it would be an awesome idea actually, go to restos/bars/etc and have a meal :P. Gather food and water in the world map and consume it.

We could easily just throw it in as a role playing thing, or offer some kind of small bonus when not thirsty or hungry. But would it really work? But that would be boring, wouldn't it? Hunger/Thirst just for the sake of implementation?

We could prevent players from doing jobs if they lack hunger/thirst. That could work. Wouldn't interfere with PvP, but help act as a small, tiny cool down.

In the end, we need a good system that isn't crippling and doesn't interfere with generic gameplay.

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:28:18 am »
As far as it being optional, I see different options for that.

One, having a console command for turning it on and off would be easy, and you could change it on the fly. Second less easy is adding it to some sort of config option at the campfire in the tent, which would at least add some stress to getting the tent set up or remembering to turn it off/on before you head out. Third option would be a mandatory dialog config triggered in the start location where you can set that option before you're even "in the world".

All of these things are varying degrees of easy or convenient, from simply typing to having to reroll on the other end of the scale. At that point whether it's on or off by default is the consideration.

However, after a while it comes down to the question of what kind of game mechanics constitute annoying, overbearing, or a violation of player preference. Everyone has their own opinions, and we certainly already have a LOT of game mechanics that fall into these categories as it is. Some players want the easy button GUI iFace, others don't want the challenge to disappear after a time (which it does).

If I didn't think it was a solid idea I wouldn't have done it.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 10:29:13 pm »
As far as it being optional, I see different options for that.

One, having a console command for turning it on and off would be easy, and you could change it on the fly. Second less easy is adding it to some sort of config option at the campfire in the tent, which would at least add some stress to getting the tent set up or remembering to turn it off/on before you head out. Third option would be a mandatory dialog config triggered in the start location where you can set that option before you're even "in the world".

All of these things are varying degrees of easy or convenient, from simply typing to having to reroll on the other end of the scale. At that point whether it's on or off by default is the consideration.

However, after a while it comes down to the question of what kind of game mechanics constitute annoying, overbearing, or a violation of player preference. Everyone has their own opinions, and we certainly already have a LOT of game mechanics that fall into these categories as it is. Some players want the easy button GUI iFace, others don't want the challenge to disappear after a time (which it does).

If I didn't think it was a solid idea I wouldn't have done it.

IMO it isn't that great of an idea to allow SOME players to use SOME features. Either everyone has to deal with the new mechanics, or nobody.

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 11:46:44 pm »
^ I see it the same way, but I'm not in charge of anything, anywhere (for good reason).

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 08:25:39 pm »
^ I see it the same way, but I'm not in charge of anything, anywhere (for good reason).

Wind Drift was the one that gave me the hunger/thirst script btw, he has some talent.

What else have you done with the engine, my friend, and how far did you go with hunger/thirst?

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 12:05:12 am »

Wind Drift was the one that gave me the hunger/thirst script btw, he has some talent.

What else have you done with the engine, my friend, and how far did you go with hunger/thirst?

It's one of those features that has been suggested but to my knowledge not implemented anywhere I could experience it, so I decided to do it myself so I could play with it and see for myself. As far as what else I've done, the answer is nothing noteworthy. This was simply relevant to the thread.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 01:51:19 am »

It's one of those features that has been suggested but to my knowledge not implemented anywhere I could experience it, so I decided to do it myself so I could play with it and see for myself. As far as what else I've done, the answer is nothing noteworthy. This was simply relevant to the thread.

I'm very tempted to release a sequel to Fonline: Shelter using the latest and FINALIZED version of the player farm + your hunger/thirst mod. Maybe I can get it tested on a massive scale.

Barneys

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 03:41:06 am »
Im not sure I see the point since water is everywhere in bases and food is easily attainable. Looks like an unecessary feature.

Envoyé de mon XT1032 en utilisant Tapatalk

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:33:48 am »
I like harcore survival, but don't think the devs would. The entire point of reloaded is to streamline what made Fonline such a fun experience, allowing players to get together and beat some ass! Or farm if that's what they like.

Also by restricting areas to advanced players (kinda already exists in a way you can't beat enclave so no point making your home there as a bluesuit) it just leads to those same players camping where the new players are, and do nothing else.

Its already happened on this server where the majority of players seem to just get on wait at the HUB, walk two feet either kill or get killed then log off.

Radiation already exists as you'll know if you go to the Glow.
Movement on the world map is slow if you don't have a car so no real need to restrict movement even more.
In Maintenance Mode.